Famous Five Food

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Famous Five Food

Post by Poppy »

Really? I have to admit it certainly does take your breath away at first and cause you to have a coughing fit, but the taste is lovely. It really crackles in your mouth and is really strong. Perhaps you'd like the weaker stuff better, Fiona. You can get Morrison's own make, and lots of other supermarkets own for quite cheap, even if it is just for a try. I suppose I couldn't drink it as the Famous Five did ; to quench their thirsts after a very long, tiring, warm walk/ bike ride, but on a night time, I love to have a sip!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
ledzep93
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

Post by ledzep93 »

I find the supermarket brand stuff tastes very sour compared to the Old Jamaica stuff, that AND the 4 for a £1 is why I love it. :D
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've tried other brands of ginger beer, but none compares with Old Jamaica. It is by far the best on the market. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hear, hear! As for putting on weight, there is the sugar-free option.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tesco own brand is very nice too.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Colette

Post by Colette »

For the first time EVER I saw ginger beer in Morrisons today 4 cans for £1 bargain .. then I headed right on home to make some pop biscuits and google buns. Not too bad for a first attempt, not EXACTLY as I'd hoped but still pretty tasty!
:) :)
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I drank Ginger Beer once when I'd visited Viv's shop. Wonderful taste but more like a fizzy drink, so I wouldn't be able to drink it like water!! And as I was wandering around in the sun the day I drank it anyways, I did get a slight headache later!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I always have a supply of Old Jamaica in my fridge. Being a teetotaller, it really is my favourite drink. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I sometimes have Schweppes Ginger Beer but I think it tastes a bit watered down. It's very expensive though, at around £1.25 a can here, so I tend not to drink it much. The last time I had it was in May 2011 - I remember, because it was right before I entered my exam venue!

Society Member
OhIsay

Post by OhIsay »

The most awful combination I've read about from a midnight feast was Sardines, pineapple chunks and condensed milk eaten together. Ugh!
OhIsay

Post by OhIsay »

Eddie Muir wrote:I always have a supply of Old Jamaica in my fridge. Being a teetotaller, it really is my favourite drink. :D
Simply wizard. :D

I like to make my own ginger cake and ginger biscuits too.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Did anyone see "The One Show" last night (Friday June 21st) with the article about the Famous Five Food? It was very interesting. I was pleased to see the "Lashings of ginger beer" myth refuted. It's about 11 minutes in on Iplayer.

See the thread on that programme here:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... =22&t=5692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Can anyone remember if the Five ever had fish and chips? This cropped up in conversation with another Blyton lover and we couldn't think if this particular food had ever been mentioned.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't remember any of Enid's characters eating fish and chips. I'm just wondering if they would have been viewed as something only the 'lower classes' ate? The characters Enid wrote about all seemed to eat most of their meals sate around a table, often eating food which a servant had prepared for them. I can't imagine someone like Mrs. Hilton approving of her children eating something with their fingers out of newspaper!!!

I've a feeling that one FF book mentions 'chipped potatoes' as part of a meal. I would suspect that if they did eat 'fish and chips' they would be home made, and be called something like battered fish and chipped potatoes.
Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

I don't remember too many references to the FF eating fish of any type - despite Kirrin being a fishing village...!!!

Plenty of sausages though.