How Many Re-reads?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

How Many Re-reads?

Post by Nick »

I started re-reading Hike yesterday and as I was pulling it off the bookshelf I asked myself how often I had read it. I must have read it about 5 times as a child and probably about the same as an adult.

Which EB book have you read the most?
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: How Many Re-reads?

Post by Daisy »

That's a hard one to answer! I must have read most of the main series at least 10 times,with the early ones in each series being read more often as I have had them longer.
At the beginning of this year I decided to keep a note of every book I read. I averaged 17 a month and have read 147 so far. Looking through the list, EB features heavily, but I also re-read the complete Chalet series - 58 original books plus some fillers by newer authors. It will be interesting to make a summary on December 31st!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A good question, Nick! As a young child I couldn't get enough of Tales of Long Ago and I read it over and over. It expanded my horizons and transported me to other realms. Other books I read repeatedly included Chimney Corner Stories (Dean & Son), The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies and Mr. Pink-Whistle's Party. When I was a little older, the books I found myself reading again and again were The Valley of Adventure (wonderfully exciting with a delicious touch of melancholy), The Sea of Adventure (stunning location), The Six Bad Boys and the Six Cousins books.

Interesting that you wrote a list, Daisy. Wouldn't it be fascinating to have kept a list of books read all through one's life, with dates and brief comments?!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wow Daisy, are you a quick reader or do have a lot of spare time?

I'm not sure which books I've read the most. Probably some of the Famous Five as I had those as a child and have re-read them several times since. Five on a Hike is one that I know I've read quite a few times. Also Rockingdown Mystery and Secret Island.

When I was younger I loved books such as Willow Tree Farm, Adventure of Pip and the Faraway series, but haven't read them as much in adulthood.

The non Blyton book which I've probably read the most is White Holiday by Viola Bayley, I recall staying up until about 2.00 am to finish it once.

I've also re-read some of the Agatha Christie books several times, and Lord of the Rings about 3 times. That might not sound a lot, but given the size of the book I think that can be counted.

I sometimes face the dilemma of should I re-read a favourite book or try something new. I do dabble now and again, but I just can't help returning to End Blyton.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am also incredibly impressed with your voracity, Daisy! When it comes to books I have three disadvantages. The first is that I am a very slow reader as I read at exactly the same speed as if I was reading aloud, so you only have to look at the Chivers unabridged versions in the audio section and you will see that a Famous Five book would take me just over four hours. My second problem is that I only allow myself to read in bed at night and how long I do so obviously depends on how tired I am. I have always felt guilty about reading in the day as I am sure that I should be doing something more useful (this doesn't include housework!). Occasionally pleasure and work come together, so I was able to read Julie's new serial in the daytime as this was needed for the website.

As if these two things weren't enough, my third problem is that I have dozens of books that I haven't even managed to read once yet. The result of this is that I very rarely re-read any books at all, time does not allow. As far as Blyton goes, as I have said before, the only books that I read as a child were the Adventure series and I did re-read all of these about fifteen years ago, along with all other Blyton novels. My memory is not what it was which is why I am so hopeless at the quizzes and I can only marvel at 'Gran's' terrific scores on the quiz board!! I can normally scrape into the low 20s and I have even managed to reach 27 but this is largely due to reading reviews which I have put into the Cave or the Journal.

Of course if I stopped scanning things for the Cave on a daily basis (I am currently adding whole cassette covers), most of which probably never get looked at, just think how much more time I would have for reading!! :lol:
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Gosh Tony, you make me feel guilty! I actually only read in bed but usually that is for at least half to three-quarters of an hour. I can read a Fives book in just under an hour, and Secret Sevens even faster. I also occasionally have more than one book on the go - but one is usually a modern long one like the Dan Brown books. I think familiarity with a story can speed up reading time too. I feel sorry that you are unable to read as much as you would like, but your efforts on behalf of the Society are much appreciated. How about giving yourself a holiday on Christmas Day and spending it just reading instead? :D
By the way, Gran was amazed at her high score this month - never reached 27 before! :shock:

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think I probably read quicker than Tony, as I find it frustrating if I read a book out loud to my children. My brain is wanting to go much faster. I suppose I could read it outloud at the speed I'd read in my head, but I fear a lot of the emphasis and expression would be lost in the 'gabble' that I'd emit. Although I definitely can't read as quickly as Daisy, unless it's a book I've read several times and am just skimming it to find a particular bit.

I usually only read in bed, and I need to make sure I stop reading by a certain time or otherwise it's a struggle to get up the next day. So it really depends on how early I go to bed on how much I read. Although sometimes even if it's a late night I'll try and read a couple of pages or a short chapter as I find it much easier to get to sleep than if I haven't read.

I definitely feel guilty if I read during the day, usually because I should be doing something like housework. Mind you, I spend quite a bit of time on this site which is just as naughty. At weekends, and during the holidays I wouldn't get a chance to read even if I wanted to. Somehow the sight of me with a book in my hand is a trigger that one of the children needs to tell me something desparately urgent. :roll:

Tony, I hadn't realised you'd only read the Adventure series as a child. I assumed you'd been collecting since childhood. My problem with the quiz questions is that although I've read a lot of the books, I just can't retain the information.

Like Daisy, I'm feeling guilty that Tony gets so little time to himself because he's so busy supplying us with so much information. I hope he also gets some pleasure out of it too.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Gosh, that's a lot of reading from our Daisy. Like mentioned, I usually read in bed, until I feel my eyes closing. I too feel guilty if I sit down and read a book. I also feel guilty being of the internet. I think there must be something else I should be doing. But everyone has to relax!

As a child I would read and re-read the F.F. The most read being Trouble and Fall into Adventure, and Wonderful Time. Since adult hood I have to admit to reading and re-reading the Find-Outers. There's something special about those books, Enid's best series for me. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: I also feel guilty being of the internet.
You must spend most of your life feeling guilty, then! :wink:
Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Tony Summerfield wrote:. The first is that I am a very slow reader as I read at exactly the same speed as if I was reading aloud,
I'm glad I'm not the only one :D

I also have the "disadvantage" of being able to fall to sleep within seconds. Just last night I read a couple of pages, closed my eyes for a moment and woke up two hours later :lol:
Society Member
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

I think I've re-read the school stories the most, both Mallory Towers and St. Clare's. Probably Naughtiest Girl, too.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've read the FF, Adventure, Secret, MT, Naughtiest Girl and some of the stand-alone titles like Hollow Tree House and Those Dreadful Children several times. I've read a few other series/books maybe twice.

I've read some of my favourite Buffy titles several times as well, and I've read most of the rest at least twice. I've read the Sooki Stackhouse series twice, and most of my Nancy Drews and Babysitters Clubs I've read twice or more. I don't understand people who never re-read something even when they love it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Fiona1986 wrote:I don't understand people who never re-read something even when they love it.
Nor can I Fiona. My husband, who doesn't read many books, says surely if I've read a book properly I shouldn't need to do so again! But we know better - I love re-reading my books and often you can 'see' something in a book which you miss the first time. Better still, you can gain something from a book the second time around which may not have been relevant to our needs when you first read it. I'm not specifically referring to Blyton books here.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Daisy wrote:I love re-reading my books and often you can 'see' something in a book which you miss the first time. Better still, you can gain something from a book the second time around which may not have been relevant to our needs when you first read it. I'm not specifically referring to Blyton books here.
I feel the same about films too. One in particular is Educating Rita, which I first saw when I was about 17. I then watched it again about 10 years later and saw it in a different light.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It's queer, but I can really enjoy a book/film yet not want to read/watch it again. Others I can read or see a hundred times or more. I've never wanted to read Potter more than once, or many of the excellent crime novels that I like. However, Enid Blyton and Agatha Christie can be re-read ad infinitum.
Society Member