How Many Re-reads?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Katharine

Re: How Many Re-reads?

Post by Katharine »

I never tire of Enid Blyton or Agatha Christie, but I agree there are some books/films I wouldn't want to see or read again.

A few days ago I watched something on TV called 'Lost Christmas', I thought it was very powerful and well done, but it had me in tears. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to watch it again.

I'm also not sure I'd want to re-read any of the Twilgiht series of books. I found them absolutely gripping, but I don't know that they'd have quite the same impact again as I know what's coming next. Half the enjoyment the first time around was the trepidation on turning a page as I had absolutely no idea how the story was going to unfold.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote: Half the enjoyment the first time around was the trepidation on turning a page as I had absolutely no idea how the story was going to unfold.
You may have hit the nail on the head there, Katharine! A Christie or a Blyton is almost guaranteed to end happily. With Christie we don't even mourn the deceased! Both AC and EB rely heavily (for me) in a wallow in nostalgia. It isn't so much the destination, but the journey that is so enjoyable.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote:I feel the same about films too. One in particular is Educating Rita, which I first saw when I was about 17. I then watched it again about 10 years later and saw it in a different light.
That's one of my favourite films. When I first watched it as a teenager, I thorougly enjoyed the comedy and word play. I didn't fully appreciate the irony, pathos and literary references until I was older.
Katharine wrote:A few days ago I watched something on TV called 'Lost Christmas', I thought it was very powerful and well done, but it had me in tears. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to watch it again.
I saw that too. A really unusual drama, riveting and unexpected. I would watch it again although I don't think a repeated viewing would be as intense, knowing what's going to happen.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think the first time I saw Educating Rita I just thought it was an odd love story. Viewing it again later, I realised that the characters were not as 2 dimensional as originally thought. I particularly changed my view of the husband 'Lenny'?

I thought Lost Christmas was on at an unusual time. Not something to sit down and watch with the children, but maybe that's because I was blubbing so much, I'd rather do it on my own when they've gone to bed. :oops:
Moonraker wrote:It isn't so much the destination, but the journey that is so enjoyable.
What a great phrase, describes how I feel about my favourite books perfectly.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Katharine wrote:I think the first time I saw Educating Rita I just thought it was an odd love story. Viewing it again later, I realised that the characters were not as 2 dimensional as originally thought. I particularly changed my view of the husband 'Lenny'?
I don't think I ever viewed it as a love story. I think the difference between Denny (you were one letter out!) and Rita/Susan is that he accepts without question the community into which he has been born and the role he's expected to play in it, whereas she doesn't.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I saw it as a romance between Rita and Frank, and was really sad at the end when he left.

Denny! I thought Lenny didn't look quite right. When I first watched it I thought he was a very selfish, simple character. Later I felt that the poor chap was confused and couldn't understand why the girl he'd married didn't want the same kind of life as he had. He was perfectly content being 'uneducated'. It also got me questioning what is meant by someone who is 'educated'.

Quick, someone tell me the film was based on a book so I don't get told off for going off topic. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Katharine wrote:I saw it as a romance between Rita and Frank, and was really sad at the end when he left.
Yes, the film does lead us to expect some romance between them but at the end we realise that they've given one another a great deal and helped each other shed things that were tying them down or holding them back. So it's fitting that - for now at least - they're free as individuals.
Katharine wrote:Denny! I thought Lenny didn't look quite right. When I first watched it I thought he was a very selfish, simple character. Later I felt that the poor chap was confused and couldn't understand why the girl he'd married didn't want the same kind of life as he had. He was perfectly content being 'uneducated'. It also got me questioning what is meant by someone who is 'educated'.
He's a likeable chap but he isn't "searching" the way Rita/Susan is. I like it that we're given a glimpse of him with a new partner who shares his views on life and who looks set to make him happy. Frank's comment is thought-provoking too, about Rita/Susan not necessarily singing a "better" song after getting an education - just a "different" one. But she realises that what she has gained is the ability to choose for herself, and that's what's so important.
Katharine wrote:Quick, someone tell me the film was based on a book so I don't get told off for going off topic. :D
It's based on a play by Willy Russell.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

When I first saw the film I was just 17, so I guess I saw romance in quite a lot of things!

Now I think an important message from the film is that there isn't any one thing/situation that is "better". It's having the freedom to discover what's important to each individual. Just a shame in Lenny/Rita's case they didn't want the same things, or at least not at the same time.

I've just realised, maybe part of the reason I saw the film as a romance was because it features Michael Caine. Always had a bit of a soft spot for him. :oops:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Katharine wrote:I've just realised, maybe part of the reason I saw the film as a romance was because it features Michael Caine. Always had a bit of a soft spot for him. :oops:
:lol: :wink:

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have just watched Lost Christmas again, and as is often the case I picked up one or two things that I didn't realise the first time round, but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. Perhaps you didn't realise that it is a children's book that was published about two months ago, Katharine. It is a hardback at £8.99 in Waterstone's, but with £3 off it actually works out cheaper than a paperback. I couldn't decide whether to read my copy before seeing the film and I am very pleased that I didn't! At my speed of reading I probably wouldn't have finished it in time anyway! :lol:

As far as the timing was concerned you may have missed the fact that it was a CBBC production and was definitely intended as a Children's/Family film.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I hadn't realised that Lost Christmas was a CBBC production. I guess it depends on the age of children and their sensitivity. As I mentioned it reduced me to tears, but maybe that was because I was sharing the mother's anguish at the sight of her daughter on the ice. I suspect children would view it from a different angle.

I'll have to see if I can borrow the book from the library.
Society Member
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I re-read my Blyton's (and other books) all the time. I think I have probably read The Boy Next Door the most - about 20 times, followed by the Malory Towers and St Clare's series about 15 times each.

I am a very fast reader and on average probably read 7 to 10 books a week. Although this number drops when I am very busy with assignments and work. Generally once I start reading a book I don't put it down till I'm finished, so reading at bedtime would not be a wise move for me especialy if the book was thick - then I would never get to bed! In the hols I can easily spend whole days reading non-stop, only coming up for food.

A list of books read throughout the year is a good idea Daisy - it would be interesting to look back and note whether you read something more than once, or what week you read the most.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Good question! Certainly in the early days, it would have been the two Wishing Chair books and 'Merry Mister Meddle'. As for the other series I suppose...

Famous Five
Treasure Island
Caravan
Kirrin Island Again
Go Down to the Sea

Secret Seven
Go Ahead
Mystery

Adventure
Island
Sea

Five Find-Outers
Burnt Cottage
Spiteful Letters
Pantomime Cat

Barney
Rockingdown
Ring O'Bells

Malory Towers
First
Upper Fourth

It's occurred to me there are certain books I have access to that I've only read about once or twice ever, and now not for YEARS - 'The Mountain of Adventure', Rubadub and Rat-a-Tat immediately springing to mind. I'm going to have to fish these out now!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think one of my New Year resolutions will be to keep a list of books read.

Going back to the Lost Christmas posts. My 14 year son watched it on i-player and didn't really 'get' it. I don't know what age group it was aimed for, or perhaps he's just not very perceptive. Perhaps if I can find a copy of the book for him to read he'd understand it better?
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Jen-Jen wrote:A list of books read throughout the year is a good idea Daisy - it would be interesting to look back and note whether you read something more than once, or what week you read the most.
I added them up this morning after finishing off "Ragamuffin Mystery". I've read 160 books this year, 46 of which were Enid Blyton with 10 others by authors like Pamela Cox and Claude Voilier. The only ones I've read twice are Readathon books (Secret Island and First Term at MT). Other books include 65 by Elinor Brent-Dyer (Chalet series) plus 8 fanfics about the school, 12 Elsie Oxenham - I was nearly at the end of her long Abbey series at the beginning of the year. The rest are by other authors including grown up ones! As these usually take at least 4 or 5 days to get through, my total would be much reduced if I read more of them!

The average is about 13 per month, but some months when for example I read the Family books which are short, I got through more of course. I do put the starting and finishing date against each title, so I know which take longer or shorter times!
My new page is headed 2012, in readiness.............! :D
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member