Lost Enid Blyton book 'Mr Tumpy's Caravan' found

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Lost Enid Blyton book 'Mr Tumpy's Caravan' found

Post by Eddie Muir »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:Dear God, what a bunch of 'hilarious' sub-Littlejohn parodies. You couldn't make it up.

This is the Grauniad comment that made most sense... :?

Viv
Indeed it did, Viv. :cry:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

I read the first page of comments and really could not be bothered to read further. Other than the very few positive opinions, they were all the predictably puerile outpourings of a bunch of smug 30 somethings who, of course, have to reduce everything that is not a part of their own lives to ridicule. If any of them were attempting to be humorous, or even informative and entertaining, then they failed miserably. I pity them.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The readers' comments beneath the following Daily Mail article are much warmer and more positive:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -dust.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

They are much better, Anita. :D Thanks for the link.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, it's nice to read that many loved and enjoyed her books as a child. I'm surprised they don't do a search and join the Society.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

After a very barren month with no new members for the Society at all, the Tumpy bandwagon has at least produced eight new members, but five of these are from overseas - it would seem that the 'news' made more of an impression in America than it did over here! :roll:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

At least it's brought in some interest, Tony. And hopefully more people will start to google the name Enid Blyton and will be lead straight to the site. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:After a very barren month with no new members for the Society at all, the Tumpy bandwagon has at least produced eight new members, but five of these are from overseas - it would seem that the 'news' made more of an impression in America than it did over here! :roll:
We are receiving several new 'followers' on Twitter every day. It is a shame that these 'followers' don't join the Society, or even join the forums. Maybe I'll have to Tweet a plug to us all!
Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The readers' comments beneath the following Daily Mail article are much warmer and more positive:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -dust.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, chalk and cheese! After the negative guff on the Grauniad site this was like a breath of fresh air.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The readers' comments beneath the following Daily Mail article are much warmer and more positive:

I agree Anita! Thanks for that, and to the others who have added links since my initial post.

There's nothing like a good mystery. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it! I wonder if Seven Stories have tested the manuscript for invisible ink? :wink:
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:At least it's brought in some interest, Tony. And hopefully more people will start to google the name Enid Blyton and will be lead straight to the site. :D

8)
We don't actually do all that well from Google, Julie. People normally go from there to EnidBlyton.net and most assume that is the official Blyton site and go no further. We have to accept that we are the junior partner. On this occasion we have done okay though as the BBC gave a link straight to us and we also have a link on the Seven Stories site.

A number of people have now come forward and said that the book is not unpublished as they had a copy of it, but in every case they are talking about the 1949 book. I stick to what I have said all along that this book has never been published.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Much better indeed. I hate The Guardian's readership. They really are a lot of toffee nosed leftie PC fools. :evil: Its good to hear that interest in the society has taken a boost from this story. That and the wide coverage of the event just goes to prove that interest in Enid Blyton emains extremely high despite her being dead for over 42 years.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Lucky Star wrote:
Much better indeed. I hate The Guardian's readership. They really are a lot of toffee nosed leftie PC fools. :evil:
My boyfriend and his family read the Guardian :shock:

Though I much agree with you. I find it far too pretentious. Give me the Daily Express or the Courier any day.
Last edited by Fiona1986 on 24 Feb 2011, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

As a Guardian-reading leftie I must protest at the ritual knocking
of that scourge of the Daily Mail! I love Enid Blyton and all her works
and feel that she is strong enough to ignore patronising comments from
those deluded unfortunates who try to put her down. Just to remind you that not all
Guardian readers are patronising or even PC!

Old-fashioned radical, Francis.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I too rather like the Guardian, although despise most of its readers! :wink: I hate to side with the Daily Wail, but their readers seem far more in touch with the Land of Blytonia!
Society Member