Would you be seen reading a Blyton in public?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Would you be seen reading a Blyton in public?

Post by Courtenay »

Gosh, Joanne, you're not doing too badly reading George Orwell and Margaret Atwood. :shock: I've read Nineteen Eighty-Four and The Handmaid's Tale and would have to rate them as without doubt the two most depressing books I ever made it through. :x Another good reason for unashamedly reading lots of Enid Blyton — not because I'm not smart enough to appreciate anything more "difficult", but because I figure there's already enough awful stuff going on in the real world without adding to it in the world of imagination!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

The Handmaids Tale is one I did give up on struggling after the first few chapters although Cat's Eye is wonderful if at times sad, Courtenay. The thing I found with Orwell was his writing style was fairly easy to follow although 1984 was the one title of his I found more taxing.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

joanne_chan wrote:The Handmaids Tale is one I did give up on struggling after the first few chapters...
You didn't miss much, Joanne. I managed to get through the whole thing for a literature class at uni, but was hugely relieved when it turned out I could choose something else for my final assignment. I just didn't want to go there again. :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote:Another good reason for unashamedly reading lots of Enid Blyton [is] because I figure there's already enough awful stuff going on in the real world without adding to it in the world of imagination!!
Amen to that!
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I totally agree. Wish other people could realize that.
You can call me Sunskriti!
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by jubei »

I think I will try my best to be seen reading Blyton in public. It could be quite a scenery to have a big adult reading Famous Five or ..... Noddy. (btw, not sure how grammatically correct about this sentence...)
reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Instead of "It could be quite a scenery" you want to say, "It could cause quite a scene" or "It could cause quite a stir".

But yes - it would be interesting to see the reaction if an adult whipped out a colourful little Noddy book and proceeded to read it on a packed train or bus, or in a lunch break at work, or while waiting at the doctor's or hairdresser's... Would they get funny looks or comments, I wonder? I must admit I'd feel too embarrassed to try it myself! A Famous Five book wouldn't be anywhere near as bad but I'd still feel self-conscious.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top

Post by Fiona1986 »

I don't tend to read Blyton on public mostly because I wouldn't jam one a 60 year old hardback into my handbag and lug it about with me. I have taken them on holiday and read them outdoors, but not in a crowded place.

I have, however, gone into the Children's dept of my library and checked a detail or two in a Famous Five book, and also sat and read a child's picture book someone recommended to me.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
jubei

Post by jubei »

Thanks Anita for improved sentence.

Interesting, especially in our society where adult should be seen doing grown up activities. However, reading adolescent novel could also interpreted as adult losing their childhood (because of studies), something that experienced by a lot men over here.
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

That's a very interesting point, Jubei, it hadn't occurred to me before. However I doubt that at the age for which which Noddy is intended, anyone could lose their childhood because of studies, (hopefully this stands for Singapore as well), but adults reading FF or The Adventure Series or any similar series could certainly be attributed to that. Nice point!
jubei

Post by jubei »

That's also a good point Darrel. As Noddy (and other EB books) were published in (about) '50s or prior, the case of losing childhood because of studies looks very slim to be happened. However, most of EB's books reach our region in mid '80s. In the '80s, the society seems to be in the peak of taking care their son to fully concentrated on school. I am referring to Indonesia and Singapore, in which I grown up. Lately, our parents become more relax about their children school days, especially with so much gadget and internet around.
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I'd be happy to read a Mr. Men book in public. It doesn't worry me at all what people think when it comes to my reading choices! I have often read Enid Blyton books waiting for a take-away or a doctor's appointment. Sometimes I read the picture books that are put there for children!

I'm in many ways quite an insecure person, so I'm not sure why I'm so comfortable with reading whatever I like in public. I remember once having a good chat about Goodnight Mr. Tom with another customer in our local chippy, sparked because I was reading it at the time. For me it just isn't something to worry about. How I look and interact yes, but not what I read. Perhaps it's because books are home ground for me. The rest of the world isn't! :roll:
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

jubei wrote:That's also a good point Darrel. As Noddy (and other EB books) were published in (about) '50s or prior, the case of losing childhood because of studies looks very slim to be happened. However, most of EB's books reach our region in mid '80s. In the '80s, the society seems to be in the peak of taking care their son to fully concentrated on school. I am referring to Indonesia and Singapore, in which I grown up.
I was referring more to the age at which a child would usually read/be read Noddy. I dunno, 5,6? (That's when I started reading them) At that age, irrespective of the decade, I daresay no child would have 'lost their childhood' due to studies etc, right?
jubei wrote:Lately, our parents become more relax about their children school days, especially with so much gadget and internet around.
Well am I glad to hear that! :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I certainly wouldn't have read Blyton in public in my late teens!
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I probably wouldn't have either! :lol: But only because I wasn't reading Blyton in my late teens. I certainly read Harry Potter in public at that time. :wink:
Society Member