Would you be seen reading a Blyton in public?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
carpediem
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney Series
Favourite character: Anyone who's a wrong 'un

Post by carpediem »

During the summer I remember sitting by a pool in Spain and noticing a woman reading the latest Harry Potter book. It struck me that adults are not embarrassed to be seen reading the Harry Potter books despite the fact that, I'm sure, JK Rowling probably intended them for children to read. On the other hand it can be argued that the novels of Rowling, alongside those of Tolkien and CS Lewis, reach out to and appeal to a far wider audience than just children.

So, my question is, do the writings of Blyton come into this same category? And while you formulate a response, let me tell you this: I was acutely embarrassed on the way home on a bus one day that a group of adults saw the cover of the book I was reading: The Mystery of the Pantomine Cat by Enid Blyton.
98slbrookes.98

Post by 98slbrookes.98 »

I think its because Harry Potter oes have ore depth It raises questions about discrimination (ie Giants, werewolves) and its all about fighting evil and its popular and well known while Enid lyton uis more like fairy stories or fun adventure stories. I still love reading them thouh just as much as the Harry Potters tough I'm 18. I see nothing wrong with adults reading Enid Blyton sometimes.
LCB
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

No I dont see a problem with it I mean of course its easier to get away with it if you are a teenager but if it was an adventure book for instance why not! harry potter is no better!!
Spaceflower

I'd rather be seen reading Harry Potter

Post by Spaceflower »

Harry Potter is more complicated and lots of adults read phantasy.

But I don't think I'd read Enid Blyton in public. She is a guilty pleasure!

But there are some similarities. Harry Potter takes place in a boarding school, just like many of Blyton's books. And of course there is a lot of adventure.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I'm in the extraordinary position of being EXPECTED to be seen reading Blyton at work! :D

There is a lady caled Angela who works for the National Trust at the visitor centre for Corfe Castle. It can be very boring there when there are no visitors around, and so she is working her way through the works of Blyton for the first time. She has devoured the entire Famous Five, Naughtiest Girl, and is now starting on Barney.

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Spaceflower:] "I don't think I'd read Enid Blyton in public. She is a guilty pleasure!"

I know exactly how you feel! I have read Enid Blyton books in public places, but only after covering them with a false dust-jacket of thick plain paper. Sometimes I read them on the train and I try to give off "don't come and sit near me" vibes because I feel embarrassed at the thought of anyone catching sight of the illustrations!

Anita
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I have read Enid Blyton in public (on the train), but have to admit I did my best not to let anyone else see what I was reading. While I don't mind telling friends that I collect Enid Blyton books (despite getting a few funny looks), I don't tend to broadcast the fact in public to people I don't know - I just don't think they'd understand.
My OH has a model railway and collects model trains. Recently, upon making a purchase in a model shop, the salesperson asked whether he would like a bag with the shop logo or a plain bag. He opted for the plain version, and the salesperson said, "yes, everyone chooses them!". It's the same thing, I suppose :-)
arky72

Post by arky72 »

I'm not bothered at all - I don't mind what anyone sees me reading!
Procrastinate now, don't put it off.
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:I'm in the extraordinary position of being EXPECTED to be seen reading Blyton at work! :D
Yes, and how we all envy you.... Wish I could sit at my desk reading The Green Story Book today (which I'm going through for the first time at the moment). Unfortunately I have to jump guiltily between placing orders for computer peripherals and reading EBS posts!

Heather.
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
mandy

reading in public

Post by mandy »

well ill be reading the brer rabbits stories out loud, walking in a figure of eight and using physical gestures.
think how daft thats going to look, in the park and on the beach and in my back garden. :lol:
I dont care, ive got learning to do.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I, like Viv, am also EXPECTED to be seen with a Blyton book in public! :lol: Whenever I go to a party, or someonene's house, a Blyton book goes with me. Most of my relatives say, "Okay, let's see which book the Blyton-loving-girl brought today!" :wink: And if I don't bring one, they say, "Where's the book? Didn't bring one this time? Tut-tut!" :roll: But mostly, yes, I am seen with a Blyton in public and I'm not ashamed of it! If someone criticizes me, I lauch onto one of my long speeches on Blyton, which makes the criticizer feel very guilty! :oops:

Ming

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Good for you, Ming! 8) Hope you still have the courage to do that when you reach my age!

Anita
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Re: Would you be seen reading a Blyton in public?

Post by Viking Star »

Ming wrote: If someone criticizes me, I lauch onto one of my long speeches on Blyton, which makes the criticizer feel very guilty! :oops:
I'd love to hear how you manage to do that! :)
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Want to hear one Viking Star? :lol: Well, hearing won't be possible so read it. :wink:

"I think Blyton books are so stupid. Silly of you Ming, to read them! Now how about some fashionable and grown up stories?" said the offender, laughing scornfully.

And there I start:

I don't care whether you think Blyton books are stupid or not, or if you think they are not worth looking at or reading, I think they are the best story books ever written! :evil: Can't you read how well those books are written; the endless vocabulary, the funny conversations and the amazing plots?! No you can't, as you are too lazy to bother to read a few lines! Enid Blyton was probably the most prolific writer ever! Who could ever forget dear old Kiki's funny phrases, Mam'zelle's French ways, Bill Smugs thrilling jobs? Who can forget Fatty and his detecting tricks and Darrell's hot temper, Carlotta's circus life, Elizabeth Allen's naughty tricks?

"Oh come on!" said the offender. :roll:

And there's Snubby's tall tales, Mr Goon's exclamations of "GAH!", "TOAD OF A BOY!" and all the rest of it? Don' you know that Enid was such a good writer that there's a hotel called Enid Hotel and pop group called The Enid? No, you don't, cause you're too ignorant to the greatest books written! :evil: Don't you know that she owned a twenty seven hole golf course.....

Huh, I too exhausted and out of breath. I'll continue again later! That is, if you want to hear or read! :wink: But by the time I finish, the offender is really scared and guilty!

Ming

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

[Ming:] "Don' you know that Enid was such a good writer that there's a hotel called Enid Hotel and pop group called The Enid?"

No! I've never heard of the hotel or the pop group! :o

[Ming:] "No, you don't, cause you're too ignorant to the greatest books written! :evil:"

It's okay - I agree that the books are great!

[Ming:] "But by the time I finish, the offender is really scared and guilty!"

Crikey - you scare me too, Ming, and I do read Enid Blyton! :wink:

Anita