Julian - What do you think of him?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
LuvMyBlyton

Julian - What do you think of him?

Post by LuvMyBlyton »

OK, this is my first real topic, so be gentle, I hope I don't offend! (I've looked up the other threads, I hope this isn't a duplicate somewhere!)

I began reading the Blyton books early, starting with the Famous Five series. I'd say around age 12 or so, I began to get really ANNOYED with Julian. He was so bossy, and sexist at times, I would get really mad. I wold also feel really badly for George and Anne, and even Dick sometimes. I know it is due to the time period in which the books were written now as an adult, but back then I was thinking what is wrong with that guy, cook your own darn breakfast for once!

What does everyone else think?
sayantani

i love julian

Post by sayantani »

Hey!
thats unfair.i've been in love with Ju since i was a little girl, dreaming of his taking charge, his protectiveness towards the gang and how he always stands up to the villains in his own quiet way.remember him taking on Sooty's sullen dad in "smugglers rock" and the nasty Lou in "caravan"?
come on, lets see Ju for what he is-a gentle MCP in the making which was typical of those times.Blyton has a penchant for bossy females too-recall Dinah of "adventure series", Diana of "barney series",George, Jo,one of the girls in the "put-em rights"etc.
Sayantani
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

A stereotypical good boy of the period.

Julian was a born leader in a time when the division of the sexes was obvious. He had a caring side and always looked out for his little sister, while being a role model for younger Dick and maintaining a firm enough stance to keep George in line.... most of the time.

Who hasn't laughed out loud when reading how Julian speaks to Mr Stick in Five Run Away Together? His sharp wit and intelligence are no match for that crook. In Five Get Into Trouble he's at it again in the kitchen, mimicing Hunchy, winding him up....

What stops Julian being classed as rude of insolent is that he's never these things to 'good' people, only to crooks.
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
LuvMyBlyton

Post by LuvMyBlyton »

True, true. Ju was a good hero at times, and I have LOL at him standing up to adults in the stories. I just HATED it though when they left Anne and/or George behind. To me it seemed as though it were just b/c they were girls, but I guess it could be b/c they were younger, but George was the same age as Dick!

Blyton did have some strong female characters too, which I loved, but then again, some of them (i.e. Dinah) were characterized as "nags" or having a bad "bothersome" temper. BUT that Phillip was ALWAYS instigating her. And George, after awhile only got really mad when she was the victim of Ju's sexism and told to stay behind. Remember how she had to tie the string to her toe in Five go off to Camp. I WAS SO mad for her!

Maybe it's something to do with his picture on the cover, after he was so mean (in my humble opinion) to George, I felt just enraged by him. I will try and view him in a different light of the times, but he just bugs me. I like Dick better :) To me it seemed like Ju and Anne against Dick and George, in terms of the who's on who's side in the books, no? I loved it when Dick stood up to Ju at Kirrin Farmhouse in "Adventuring Again" and said NO JU, this is MY discovery (I like to add in "you bossy bossy know it all". )

OK, there's my rant, of course I wouldn't suggest the author ever change a thing! Just interesting to discuss :)
lizzie farrel

Mr. Bossy Pants---aka Julian

Post by lizzie farrel »

Totally agree with you LuvMyBlyton, I too find Julian very bossy at times.
I actually feel he's very inconsistent; in Treasure Island he's kind and very understanding towards George, in 'Camp' he's bossy and patronising.
Give me good ol' Fatty any day.

cheers
Bill Smugs

Post by Bill Smugs »

LuvMyBlyton wrote:OK, there's my rant, of course I wouldn't suggest the author ever change a thing! Just interesting to discuss :)
... and that is the point, of course. Too many publishers want to change the books or "bring them up to date" because they don't like the way they were written.

The characters are what they are. The books are what they are - historical novels for children. Leave them alone!
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

Mr bossy

Post by gareth jones »

Leave Julian alone he's alright. I know he's a bit bossy but someone had to take charge in all those hair raising adventures. If you were in a dangerous situation with your backs against the wall, he is just the person you'd need with you. In fact i think George is more of a problem. She's moody,Spiteful,sulky and sometimes mean but we love her all the same.
If they were all like Anne very nice and timid there wouldn't be any adventures. I think Enid has got them just about right for their era.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

I know that this is an old thread but I'm new to this site and HAD to reply!! I adored Julian when I read the books and must admit that he was my first crush as a 6/7 year old!! Of course he is bossy but to be fair he is a 12 year old child, who has to take responsibility but also feels fear at times!! I think the age also explains inconsistencies in character - didn't everyone chop and change every 5 minutes at that age?! Let alone solving countless mysteries.... So I think that Julian gets a bad press sometimes.
sayantani

julian is smashing!

Post by sayantani »

yep, jojo, so glad you like julian.
ive posted an ode to julian on my blog, http://www.randomsparkles.blogspot.com for all ju fans!
sayantani
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Golly, Sayantani! Julian would blush as red as a tomato at that, and have to put up with merciless ragging from Dick, but secretly he would be pleased as punch!

Anita
sayantani

ju, ju and more!

Post by sayantani »

anita
thanks for the quip!
but, really do feel attached to the mental image of dear ju even at this ripe old age!
cheers
sayantani
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I do find Julian gets progressively more irritating as the series goes on. Initially he is quite pleasant, but he seems to become a real dictator post Mystery Moor. Although the last Fives book is by no means my favourite, I am glad of it for the simple reason that it allows George get the better of Julian and to be a plucky, daring, clever, sensible(ish) girl again, complete with Rosselini-esque Island scene(!), rather than the bitter bit-parter she occasionally seems to be in the later books.
Spaceflower

I loved Julian when I read the books as a child

Post by Spaceflower »

And I loved the name Julian ever since. Julian was so strong and protective.

But now when I read the books, I find him very bossy too.

And I found the way Julian spoke to the Sticks (in the 3rd book) very rude but it says that he is polite. Maybe b/c he says rude things in a polite voice? He talks like an ice cold insolent upper class boy to the helplessly angry under class. Of course, Sticks were villains but they did not know that at the time.

I also found the dog Timothy very mean to the poor Stick's dog. Stick's dog shows inferiority but Timothy still bites him. A clear case of a psychopat dog.

As you can see, this book was not my favorite.
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I felt a bit sorry for the Stick's dog too! It couldn't help being the way it was and certainly couldn't choose its owners.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

True. I've always felt uneasy about the way the Five treat Tinker (whom they call Stinker if I remember correctly.)

Anita