Five Find-Outers Sequel

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Re: Five Find-Outers Sequel

Post by Keith Robinson »

Lucky Star wrote:Hopefully Amazon will remove the book and the createspace site also. :evil:
There's nothing wrong with CreateSpace, they're just a printing service, hardly a publisher at all; people just upload their work and CreateSpace prints it. The only reason they get listed as "publisher" is because it's their ISBN number being used. I don't use them anymore, but not because of bad behavior, just because Lightning Source are better quality. I hope CreateSpace will take a dim view of this and take action.

What puzzles me most is that the book is totally unlike all his others. You could almost believe he's being set up, or there's been some horrible mix-up where this illegal book has been lumped in with this guy's profile. But having been through the process myself, I know this is very unlikely. Even the Amazon profile page is "manual" -- the author has to go find the books that belong to him before they'll display on that page. So apparently this guy is the worst kind of sleazeball and does nothing but rip-off books, or he's suddenly turned rotten.

Either way, I'm organizing a pickup full of rednecks, shotguns and beer to go on a road trip to Nashville... :twisted:
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Lilian Buchanan kindly did the cover illustration for him, but thought it was a Cherrys sequel he was doing...

As Keith says, it is so different to his other books, could there be some mix up?

Maybe Chorion, having been made aware of this, will see how good Julie’s work is and offer to publish it for her?
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I just had a reply from Mark Rosson, who says this:
I have an email from a link to Julie H, giving me permission to publish all of this. I also have written permission to base my characters on Enid Blyton and she is given credit as well. Everything was done very legally and I am sorry you seem so upset, but I want to assure you, I just wanted to share these stories in book form because I loved them so much as a child. Publishing and copywriting is a very simple proceedure and I am not sure why there was such a hold up on it by Julie H, but again, Somebody there gave me permission to use forms of these stories, that is the problem with email, you never really know who you are talking to.

Take care,
Mark Rosson
Wow! So this idiot seems to think Julie or someone gave him permission! It was all done very legally, apparently, and he just wanted to share these stories with the world (and make money off them) despite the fact that the stories were already freely available online.

Stiff email coming up....
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

What utter rubbish, as we all know that Julie knew nothing about this. As she hasn't logged in this evening she is still unaware that Rosson has actually used her stories in full. :twisted:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I am gob-smacked at what I have just read. I have not been contacted at all by this 'copyright thief, and if I had been I would have refused permission obviously. How can this thief contact me, if he doesn't have my email address? Keith I know or anyone else, would not give it out, unless they asked me first.

I guess I have to pass all this evidence over to a copyright lawyer who can take up this case for me. If Mr. Rossen is reading this now, I can swear on any of your Bibles, I did not give you permission!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And the sickening thing is, I ordered a copy thinking it was all brand new. I must have been mad! I can't even cancel, as Amazon say it is being prepared for shipping! Even if I return it when it arrives, I guess I'll have to pay the shipping costs.
Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Moonraker wrote:And the sickening thing is, I ordered a copy thinking it was all brand new. I must have been mad! I can't even cancel, as Amazon say it is being prepared for shipping! Even if I return it when it arrives, I guess I'll have to pay the shipping costs.
Yikes! You bought a copy? Really? I've seen so much self-published rubbish (excluding my own, of course) that I wouldn't dream of buying anything without first seeing a sample of the text. Since this book doesn't offer "search inside," that's a no-no in my book. And the price... $18.99? That's an instant turn-off. I don't care who the author is, I'm not buying a paperback for that much, even in a store.

On the bright side, Nigel, you can at least do a valid review of the book, basically saying, "Hmm, I believe I've read all this before somewhere... It's almost as though YOU STOLE IT!" :evil:

Come back Isabyre, all is forgiven. At least you wrote your own book!
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Good for you, Robert -- your review is showing on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Five-Fin ... B003VIWV6O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine should show up eventually as well. I wrote the same review for both the UK and the US, as they use a different system and reviews are independent of each other. Reviews for printed books also show for the Kindle versions in the same country, so that should cover it.

By the way, I'm amazed at how quickly Google is showing listings. If you google "M. E. Rosson," you'll see threads from both this forum and CreateSpace's showing up, just hours after starting them! (I've been stirring things up at CreateSpace over this guy!)
tkurbjuhn

Post by tkurbjuhn »

The first review of the book the "author" seems to have written himself. The signature says "Glennis Foster
Hamilton, Indiana ", but the real name amazon gives is " M E Rosson".
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

This is quite extraordinary, I hope Julie sues him, I bet he is using the cover without permission too. The pastor obviously hasn't heard of the eighth commandment (seventh if you are a Catholic). Thou shalt not steal.

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Although it does not happen to me,I feel very angry.

I too hope Julie will sue him! :evil:

Clearly he does not follow his bible's teaching.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've just been reading the posts on this thread with utter disbelief! Can this be happening? I feel so sorry for you Julie and am l really devastated on your behalf and can only begin to imagine how you are feeling at present. I do hope that the situation can be sorted out and that your excellent stories can be published with by Julie Heginbotham on the cover! I'm sure that you have the whole of the Enid Blyton Society on your side and I hope that we will soon see justice done!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Kate Mary wrote:This is quite extraordinary, I hope Julie sues him, I bet he is using the cover without permission too. The pastor obviously hasn't heard of the eighth commandment (seventh if you are a Catholic). Thou shalt not steal.

Kate.
I'm showing my ignorance here, but why is 'Thou Shalt No Steal' the 7th commandment, but 8th for Catholics?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks to all the members on this forum for your support. Nigel, I will be interested to see the book and verify that it is all my own work. But I'm sure you'll know anyway. I may even need to borrow if for when I sue. Which I will be doing.

I see Robert has kindly put something on Amazon. If everyone else could back Robert up in this that will be a help. I will of course be writing to this 'copyright' thief myself.

Eddie, it would be lovely if Chorion could publish these and put my name on, and help me over this. Single handed is going to be tough, especially just after loosing Mum too. Thanks for your call, Eddie. Is was much appreciated.

Best wishes to all
Julie
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Julie - I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's passing, and this novel shock must have been difficult as well - you have the entire Society behind you, and when you do sue, I hope it all get's sorted out.

Society Member