The Rubadub Mystery

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

The Rubadub Mystery

Post by booklover »

Hi everyone :)

Here's a new thread on The Rubadub Mystery.

I am starting the new thread because another thread discusses only one small part of the story and contains SPOILERS: http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ub+mystery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; DON'T VIEW THAT THREAD IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK!

As an introduction, here are some lateral thoughts on the title of the book.

In the Scottish islands a common geographical term is Rubha Dubh. There is one on Colonsay and another just south of Carsaig. Also the word “Rubha” or “Dubh” often goes with another word - so on Scarba there is "Rubha Righinn"; and the northern-most tip of Colonsay is "Eilean Dubh".

Both words are Gaelic - the internet says that rubha means promontory; and dubh means dark or black.

Also between the islands of Jura and Scarba is the Corryvreckan tide race - one of the largest whirlpools in the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Corryvreckan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could Blyton have been inspired by both the Gaelic phrase "Rubha Dubh" and the Corryvreckan Whirlpool?

On the other hand, as Anita points out in her excellent and thoughtful article in Journal No. 24, the story is set in England, and Blyton's inspiration may have been no further away than the whirlpool and blowhole at Old Harry’s Rocks near Swanage, a possibility earlier suggested by David Cook in Journal No. 6.

Anyway, it's something to think about. I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

PS There's also plenty of great material in the story itself that hopefully can be discussed on this thread.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: The Rubadub Mystery

Post by Wayne Pyer »

:? I thought that Rubadub was set it Wales.

Must check tomorrow.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Wayne Pyer wrote::? I thought that Rubadub was set it Wales.

Must check tomorrow.

I think you may be thinking of 'The Ragamuffin Mystery', which is set in Wales. :D

I always feel that Rubadub is set in Dorset: the resort where they stay is very much like Swanage, where Enid herself stayed, with it's pier and guest house. I love Rubadub, because of the characters at the inn and the dramatic emotional storyline. It is one of the most emotional stories Enid ever wrote, in my opinion. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

As a child I somewhat spoilt the impact of the Barney ("R") Mysteries for myself by reading The Rubadub Mystery first (it was the first title I happened to come across in that series, at a school sale). This is one series in which the books really ought to be read in order.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Robert Houghton wrote:
Wayne Pyer wrote::? I thought that Rubadub was set it Wales.

Must check tomorrow.

I think you may be thinking of 'The Ragamuffin Mystery', which is set in Wales. :D

I always feel that Rubadub is set in Dorset: the resort where they stay is very much like Swanage, where Enid herself stayed, with it's pier and guest house. I love Rubadub, because of the characters at the inn and the dramatic emotional storyline. It is one of the most emotional stories Enid ever wrote, in my opinion. 8)
Thank you Robert. You are right. I was confusing the two. :D
I'm halfway through Ring O'Bells with my re-read and as Anita said, these have to be read in order, especially since its the first time for my boys.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I always thought of the old nursery rhyme "Rub-a-Dub dub, Three men in a tub"! The Scottish connection is very interesting though. Maybe that is the origin of the nursery rhyme?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote:I always thought of the old nursery rhyme "Rub-a-Dub dub, Three men in a tub"!
Me too, Daisy! For a truly wonderful (or is it awful?) version of Rub a Dub Dub, click here. :|
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The Rubadub Mystery is truly one of Blyton's most atmospheric and emotional novels. The vaguely menacing atmosphere of the seaside resort, the old Inn, the diverse cast of intriguing charcters and the dark plot all make it one of those books which one is simply glued to till the end. At least thats how I felt as a child and, re-reading it now as an adult, it still hasn't lost that feeling. The heartbreaking dissapointment suffered by Barney towards the end may well be the most tragic scene Enid ever wrote and the way in which she builds the expectation and suspense up to that terrible moment is amazing. Though I enjoy the final two books of the series, it could never again live up to Rubadub.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:The Rubadub Mystery is truly one of Blyton's most atmospheric and emotional novels. The vaguely menacing atmosphere of the seaside resort, the old Inn, the diverse cast of intriguing charcters and the dark plot all make it one of those books which one is simply glued to till the end. At least thats how I felt as a child and, re-reading it now as an adult, it still hasn't lost that feeling. The heartbreaking dissapointment suffered by Barney towards the end may well be the most tragic scene Enid ever wrote and the way in which she builds the expectation and suspense up to that terrible moment is amazing. Though I enjoy the final two books of the series, it could never again live up to Rubadub.

That's exactly how I feel about Rubadub: well said. :D It truly shows Enid at her peak, and a 'master' (or mistress) of her craft. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Lucky Star wrote: Though I enjoy the final two books of the series, it could never again live up to Rubadub.
Rubabdub felt like an ending, and a mighty fine ending it was too! I always felt that with the incredible sense of closure created at the end of this book kind of made the next two books seem out-of-place and disproportionate.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, Rubadub for me, is one of the best Barney mysteries. The atmosphere of the Inn, being at the seaside. It had a really nostaligic atmosphere. And a lovely ending where Barney at last finds his father. Wasn't this where Enid was going to end the series, but was asked for more and so wrote the other two to please her many readers?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Rubadub was the last in the series I read, and it was a few years after the others so I never knew how he found his father until late on. A fitting end in a way, but it would have been better to read them in sequence.
Red Tower
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/FF/Secret Series/R Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by Red Tower »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:As a child I somewhat spoilt the impact of the Barney ("R") Mysteries for myself by reading The Rubadub Mystery first (it was the first title I happened to come across in that series, at a school sale). This is one series in which the books really ought to be read in order.
Oooh! Shame that you read it first, Anita. I totally agree with you about reading them in order.
I read "The Rat-a-Tat Mystery" first and then couldn't wait to read "The Rubadub Mystery", after I had read one or two others in the series.
Agree with the other posters, who said that this is one of EB's finest books.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I'm reading the book again and was a surprised to see Roger acting so carelessly. He seems to be worse than Snubby. He gives Miss Pepper such a fright when he sends a trunk down the stairs that she thinks to herself: ‘For two pins I’d leave them to themselves! Really, if Roger starts doing things like this my life won’t be worth living.’ Strong words, but everyone has their limits.
Later on the train he is sarcastic to her again when they have to wake her up, saying “somebody’s got to look out for the station we change at”. I suppose he starts to behave more normally once they arrive at Rubadub.
    As usual there is a funny scene involving Snubby, this time with an old woman who only says “Ar”. Why Enid Blyton liked to create characters who "arred" I don't know, but I enjoy them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lenoir wrote:    As usual there is a funny scene involving Snubby, this time with an old woman who only says “Ar”. Why Enid Blyton liked to create characters who "arred" I don't know, but I enjoy them!
That's exactly why she liked to create them, I guess: they are so enjoyable! I also love the character of Miss Twitt! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member