Malory Towers v St. Clare's

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Which school would you preferred to have gone to. Malory Towers or St Clare's?

Malory Towers
65%
St Clare's
35%

Total votes: 55

un PC
Favourite book/series: Valley of Adventure, Enchanted Wood, Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Moon Face

Malory Towers v St. Clare's

Post by un PC »

So if you were given the choice of the school to attend, which one would it have been?

Malory Towers or St Clare's.

Tough, but I think I'd chose St Clare's.
Death to political correctness
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Re: Malory Towers v St Clare's

Post by Kitty »

Malory Towers. If only because some girls seem to waste away their lives at St Clare's while waiting to be arbitrarily moved up a form. But also MT for the nicer grounds and more interesting pupils.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Malory Towers purely because it resembles a castle and is by the sea in Cornwall!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Malory Towers purely because it resembles a castle and is by the sea in Cornwall!
And because its people end up in St. Andrews! :)

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

Malory Towers for me, too - partly because of the location, and the fact that I'd love to go to school in a castle, partly because I just prefer the MT books to the SC ones, and the characters seem more interesting.
Ming wrote:Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Malory Towers purely because it resembles a castle and is by the sea in Cornwall!

And because its people end up in St. Andrews!
That's where all the best people go to university! :wink:
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Laura wrote:
That's where all the best people go to university! :wink:

Ahem Laura! :wink:

Malory Wins hands down for me! :)
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

Malory Towers, I think the atmosphere is much better than St. Clares, the building, I agree, and if the characters count too, definitely Malory for me!
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

Malory Towers - for all of Anita's reasons, and because I think it has a much nicer atmosphere. And all those roses in the courtyard would be lovely - I can imagine myself spending pleasant afternoons reading Blyton books amongst the roses.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Malory Towers without a doubt. I used to dream about going to school in that building. The towers, the gardens, the swimming pool, the horse riding - all surrounded by the Cornish coast. I prefer the teachers and the girls there too although I would have probably got on the wrong side of Alicia.

Malory Towers made me long to go to boarding school and my parents made the mistake of sending me when I was 11. It was nothing like it :( We did have midnight feasts but thats about it!
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Heh I went to a boarding school though I was a day pupil. At first I longed to board too but I rather quickly realised that all of my fond memories of Blyton's school stories were nothing like ther reality.

Am I the only one who'd choose SC? It has some of my favourite of all Blyton's characters.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luthien

Post by Luthien »

I chose St Clare too! I think it would have been a more pleasent school to go, with the town so close by, and the cozy studios for the older girls. It also has a lot of interesting characters like Bobby and Janet, Carlotta, Claudine, Margery, and you always had a bad girl in your term to spice things up. I don't remember the 2 series too well, but I think that in St Clare they had more midnight feasts.

On the other side, even though Malory Towers is a castle and everything, I wouldn't have liked to be in the same form as quick tempered Darrell and sharped tongued Alicia. One moment of weakness, homesickness or anything, and you were doomed for the rest of your stay.
dsr

Post by dsr »

St. Clare's. I'd have been worse than Gwen in the pool, as I couldn't swim then, and would NOT have welcomed being regularly pushed in with teachers' tacit approval.

But as a mere male, I might have had to make do with Whyteleafe.
DSR
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

St. Clare's any day! The faculty and the students all seem much more relaxed in this school. Malory Towers would stress me out. :(
On the games front though, I would fail in both schools. I have never played lacrosse, and I am terrified of water, having nearly drowned once.
Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Yay another St Clare's fan :) Being a non sporty type seems to be marginally more acceptable at SC, anyway :)
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

If you'd asked me as a child reader, I would have said Malory Towers without hesitation! I love the description of it in the first book. The setting is so inspirational - 'it looked like an old-time castle' - the natural, sea-filled swimming pool, court and rose garden. Although my own hair is a nondescript shade of mousy brown, I can totally sympathise with Gwendoline when she says "I shall feel like a fairy princess going up those steps!" :lol:

I re-read St. Clares recently for the first time in many years and I was struck for the first time (can't think how I never noticed it before) with how well Enid Blyton develops some of her characters (Alison, for example) and how much attention she pays to the mind and circumstances of each one who is the centre of a storyline. She really was a discerning observer of human nature. She writes sympathetically about Gladys' or Eileen's plight -but without excusing Gladys' cowardice or Eileen's sneaking and thieving. Even Prudence's thorough unpleasantness is given some explanation so that the reader can understand it instead of simply reacting to her horrible ways.

I have to cast my final vote for Malory Towers though! Imagine being able to get up early on a summer's day and go for a sea-bathe before breakfast! Lovely! :D
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139