What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Interesting idea, Pete.

However, may I most humbly suggest to divide the Topic 'most nefarious crime' a bit further?
I would make a difference between most nefarious crimes that actually were committed or were just about prevented by the Kirrins and those most nefarious crimes that were planned/or could have been assumed to be planned.

Trouble is a good case in point:
- Crimes that were committed: jailbreak, aiding a fugitive running from the law, theft of jewellry, burglary (once committed by the Kirrins themselves, except for my alter ego), speeding and ruthless driving, kidnapping, poisoning an animal. Oh and I nearly forgot: Inappropriate securing of cargo on a motor vehicle, which is a minor offence of course.
- Crimes that were threatened or just about prevented: serious abuse (probably physical, not sexual) of a minor, assaults against several minors and, if you think it through, probably murder. We Kirrins just knew a bit too much...
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote:
Moonraker wrote: Here's a challenge to you forum authors: write a Famous Five with no crime or crooks.
But that would be like an Agatha Christie with no murder! :shock: :wink:
No need to be shocked. Agatha Christie wrote many books containing no murders!
Society Member
jon beeza
Favourite book/series: Five Get Into Trouble / The Famous Five
Favourite character: In preference: George,Timmy,Anne,Dick,Julian

Post by jon beeza »

Tonight I am going to read Five On A Treasure Island. I think I will read it when I go to bed. I will be keeping the light on, so no need to read under the bedclothes by torchlight, lol.
jon beeza
Favourite book/series: Five Get Into Trouble / The Famous Five
Favourite character: In preference: George,Timmy,Anne,Dick,Julian

Post by jon beeza »

I did start Five On a Treasure Island, at bedtime last night. I did not get past the first page, I fell asleep. :shock:
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

pete9012S wrote: And obviously, which book contains the most nefarious deeds I wonder??
Not a FF book, but surely that would be The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage, as the deed is arson which I believe is classed as one of the most serious crimes there is due to the unpredictable nature of fire and the very real possibility of it getting fatally out of control?
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I hope you'll soon be better, Stephen.
Thanks Anita! My flu has turned into a good old fashioned filthy cold, so at least I know I'm on the mend! None of that horrible shivery, aching feeling any more.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:The Rilloby Fair Mystery sparkles with humour and ingenuity. A great book to perk you up when you're not feeling well!
I haven't quite finished it yet, but I'd forgotten how good it was!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Good to hear you are on the mend Stephen. This seems to be a particularly nasty winter for illnesses. I also started January with an incredibly horrible dose of something cold related.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but I felt so bad on Monday night/Tuesday morning, I thought there was no way I would be able to make it to work and would have to phone in sick. But then it occurred to me that if I didn't go, I'd just be lying in bed feeling rotten like I'd been doing for the previous eight hours. So I wrapped up warmly, went in and actually felt better by the end of the day (and I generally work away from other people, so hopefully I wouldn't have given anyone my ailments!)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Reckon that makes sense, Stephen — sometimes doing something practical to take your mind off feeling sick and miserable is more effective than lying around at home feeling sick and miserable anyway! Glad you're on the mend and looking forward to hearing about more of your Blyton reads.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - I agree - and I'm also looking forward to hearing what you read next! :-) Mind you, for me, not much can beat The Rilloby Fair Mystery! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I loved The Rilloby Fair Mystery from beginning to end! It brought back quite a few memories - I'd forgotten all about the Green Hands Gang, and Cook saying she'll eat her best Sunday hat!

The plot actually reminded me of Jonathan Creek (although I'm sure that in turn would have been influenced by something else like Sherlock Holmes). How does a thief break into a secure room and steal valuable papers (or stuffed animals) without any trace of a break in? The trouble for me was one of the few things I could remember from the first time round was the identity of the thief - so all the clues made it all the more obvious to me. I only hope I would have been able to work it out if I had been reading it for the first time! But it's a very different Blyton book in that the thieves aren't interested in good old fashioned gold, money, pearl necklaces, or Uncle Quentin's latest secret formula - but instead old documents and papers. The children, and even Enid herself point out that this is mind-numbingly boring to the average person - which for me makes it all the more intriguing! Great-uncle Robert must be quite a fascinating figure to find such things so interesting.

I really like the interactions the children have with each other which seems more down to earth and natural than those in other series. Roger and Diana love each other as brother and sister, but still occasionally disagree and snipe at one another in the way that siblings do. They both frequently look down on Snubby almost as if he was an irritating younger brother, but still tolerate and even laugh at him. I even get the impression that Roger is actually quite envious of Snubby's irreverent ways, and would love to be like him if it wasn't for the fact he was older and was expected to set an example, and of course comes from a stricter environment! Barney, in comparison seems quite straight laced - but you can hardly say he's boring with THAT backstory!

Is this the only Blyton story - apart from 'The Naughtiest Girl Is A Monitor' - in which there is a church reference? Diana telling Barney the reason they looked so smart was because they had just been to church really surprised me - and I used to go myself as a child!

My next book is Five On A Treasure Island, my first read and possibly still favourite of the FF. Funnily enough, I did buy a 1997 copy a few weeks ago because I thought my original 1969 one had fallen apart. But no, it still seems to be intact. So if might be fun to see if there are any differences!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Stephen wrote: Is this the only Blyton story - apart from 'The Naughtiest Girl Is A Monitor' - in which there is a church reference? Diana telling Barney the reason they looked so smart was because they had just been to church really surprised me - and I used to go myself as a child!
I recall the Famous Five go to church in one of the books — is it Five Go Down to the Sea?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Blimey, I read that myself only a few months ago. Obviously wasn't paying attention! :D
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Courtenay wrote:
Stephen wrote: Is this the only Blyton story - apart from 'The Naughtiest Girl Is A Monitor' - in which there is a church reference? Diana telling Barney the reason they looked so smart was because they had just been to church really surprised me - and I used to go myself as a child!
I recall the Famous Five go to church in one of the books — is it Five Go Down to the Sea?
‘Will you be going to church?’ asked Mrs Penruthlan. ‘It’s a beautiful
walk across the fields to Tremannon Church, and you’d like Parson.
He’s a good man, he is.’
‘Yes; we’re all going,’ said Julian. ‘We can tie Timmy up outside.
He’s used to that. And we thought we’d go up and see your old shep-
herd this afternoon, Mrs Penruthlan, and see what tales he has to tell.’
They contemplate going to church as well in "Hike".
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

In Finniston Farm they visit an old disused chapel:
‘We haven’t seen this chapel yet, either!’
So they followed the two men, and soon came to a tall, quaint old building with small and beautiful arched windows set high up in the walls. They went in at the door, a few paces behind the two men, and stared in wonder.
‘Yes - you can see it was once a chapel!’ said Julian, speaking instinctively in a low voice. ‘Those lovely old windows - that arch there...’
‘And the feel of it!’ said Anne. ‘I know now what old Mr Finniston down at that little shop meant, when he said that though it was now a store-house, it was still full of prayer! You can feel that people have been here to pray, can’t you? What a lovely little chapel. Oh, I do wish it wasn’t used as a store-house!’
‘I was told by an old fellow down in the village antique shop that a Lady Phillippa, who was once the Lady of the castle, brought each of her fifteen children here to learn their prayers,’ said Mr Durleston, surprisingly. ‘Hmm, hmm - nice old story. Probably true. Chapels were often built near to castles. Wonder which path they took from the castle to the chapel. All gone now, no castle, nothing! Hmm, hmm.’
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member