What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Katharine

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Katharine »

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do a review, as although I remember I enjoyed the book very much, my useless memory can't recall enough to write about it. I definitely intend to read it again one day, but I have too many books I've never even read to get through first.

Fiona, I'm not 100% sure how much I paid for my copy, my spreadsheet has £3 with a question mark next to it. I did write down everything I paid at the EB day, but have misplaced the piece of paper, but it probably wouldn't have been much more than that. I definitely want to get the other book at some point.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Oh well. Shows just how impossible it is to price a Blyton book!

I'll try and write a review soon but it's the last day of my holiday today and we're packing and cleaning at the moment.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Fiona1986 wrote:I've just read Humpty Dumpty and Belinda, one of the Collins colour camera books. I bought it yesterday for £15, which I think was a good price (having checked on amazon it's £20-£25 plus postage, and on eBay there was one for £220 :shock:)

Anyway, the story is lovely. A little girl has two dolls Belinda and Tom, and her father makes doll houses and toys.
I think you will find that it is Belinda and Tod, not Tom. When I was originally doing my bibliography research I discovered that there were other Collins Colour Camera books about Belinda and Tod, as well as the two that I have, but the dustwrappers (uncommon) didn't list them and therefore didn't help as to who wrote them. I have never seen any other books so I am none the wiser, but I took an executive decision and decided not to list them as Enid Blyton books. If my memory serves me right (which it does less and less nowadays!) one of the books had Tod in the title.
Tony Summerfield

I am adding a bit to my previous post if anyone is interested. It would seems that Belinda and Father Christmas by Hugh and Sally Gee was published in America by Chanticleer Press in 1948. Obviously Enid Blyton saw this book and fancied writing her own version of the story and it was published by Collins in 1951 as Father Christmas and Belinda. This would not be the first time that Enid saw illustrations from another book and wrote her own story to fit the original illustrations as she did exactly that with Let's Pretend.

It seems that Hugh and Sally Gee did write other books about Belinda (Belinda and the Magic Journey, but Enid just rewrote the two of them.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the information Tony. If the other books are American, I'm guessing they may be quite hard to come by over here? I think I'll probably restrict myself to just trying to track down the Enid Blyton Father Christmas one. :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Unless you looked on EBAY for American books, Katharine.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie, I suspect the postage would be horrendous to ship a book over from the US, it's bad enough getting a hardbook posted in the UK. However, I dare say that if it was something extra special I might be prepared to push the boat out, as it were. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting information about the history of the "Belinda" books, Tony.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Tony Summerfield wrote:I am adding a bit to my previous post if anyone is interested. It would seems that Belinda and Father Christmas by Hugh and Sally Gee was published in America by Chanticleer Press in 1948. Obviously Enid Blyton saw this book and fancied writing her own version of the story and it was published by Collins in 1951 as Father Christmas and Belinda.
All the potential reviewers have missed the bus on this one, as I have just added a review of Father Christmas and Belinda to the Cave. As usual the review is by Terry Gustafson - the Cave would be a poorer place without his sterling efforts.

It is worth mentioning, for those that have never seen the book, that as well as the 14 full-colour plates by Hugh Gee, there are numerous line drawings by Shirley Hughes. This must have been one of her earliest commissions in a long career as she is a major children's illustrator and still working today at the age of 86. Earlier this month one of the books for World Book Day, Alfies' Shop, was her most recent work. Last year she wrote and illustrated a best-selling children's novel, Hero on a Bicycle. The Belinda book was the only illustrating that she did for Enid Blyton.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Gosh, I bought and read that book years ago without realising the line drawings were by Shirley Hughes! I have both Blyton "Belinda" books and they're charming and unusual.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
corkontheocean
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five, Adventure Series
Favourite character: George, Dick, Jack Trent, Barney

Post by corkontheocean »

I'm halfway through the third Barney mystery, the Ring O' Bells Mystery :)
"If anyone's on my island," began George, looking very fierce and angry, "if anyone's on my island, I'll-I'll-I'll-"

"You'll explode and go up in smoke!" said Dick.
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Post by Loony the Dog »

Reading the Spiteful Letters for the Readathon! :D
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I've just finished Five are together again. I suppose it's been noted elswhere that George couldn't wait to get home to see Timmy in this book but in all the other books Timmy was allowed to be at school with her!

Anyway, that concludes my FF reading for now.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, that anomaly has been discussed elsewhere deepeabee. I guess it's another slip of the mind on Enid's part although a change of ruling at the school isn't an impossibility!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I remember working round it when I first read it as a child and thinking that maybe George and Anne had changed school because they'd grown too old for the school they were in (sort of like a sixth form).
SwatIsaid!

Society Member