Egmont Books.

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Egmont Books.

Post by Nick »

I've just, furiously, complained to Egmont.

Whilst trying to discover if the new editions of the FFO are being released today (I've not read the series and thought I'd assemble a complete collection of the same edition) I discovered that they have given away the plot of the first book in a 4 line review!

Thanks a lot.

Not happy.

Just had to get it off my chest.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Egmont Books.

Post by Lucky Star »

What, they gave away the ending? :shock: Thats a bit silly.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I reckon they are not interested in selling books. At our time and age, with the economy on its all time high, why should they be? Aren't they making enough money as it is? :roll:

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

They seem to have 'reviewed' several of the books like that, 'Dissapearing Cat' is summed up, complete with who the culprit is. What would then be the point in reading a who-dunit if we know who dun it???
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

That's people taking their customers serious. Good to know. I apologize for my nasty mocking of them. :oops:

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's great news, Nick! I see that Egmont have altered the reviews now, so yes, they obviously are willing to respond to feedback. :D

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Yes, Egmont were very quick off the mark and you may have just noticed that someone from Egmont has just joined the forums! Going back to what Ming said in an earlier post, I think you will find that the blurb on the back of the books is different to what was on the website and I am pretty certain that the plot is not given away there.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Yes, Egmont were very quick off the mark and you may have just noticed that someone from Egmont has just joined the forums!
I have indeed - welcome Egmont UK Ltd, it is good to have someone from the professional world of Enid Blyton! Thank you for such quick work in changing the book descriptions. I am sure we are all indebted to the current publishers for promoting and selling Enid's books into today's book shops. It would be interesting to hear of a publisher's reasons and decision making into updating Blyton's work.

Maybe, in the interests of tack, diplomacy and politeness, the Gggrrrrrr should be deleted from the Topic heading. :D
Society Member
Egmont UK Ltd

Post by Egmont UK Ltd »

First of all, I should introduce myself: I'm Mike and I work in the marketing team at Egmont Press. Secondly, I'd just like to say thanks for highlighting this problem and also to apologise for the mistake we've made here.

Just for clarity, Marcella works for our distributor as part of the web team as her post says. Thanks for drawing our attention to this thread, Marcella.

As several posters in this thread have already said, it's not the cleverest move to publish the entire plot of a book in a summary of the story and it does seem rather likely that this will be particularly disappointing for those who see it when the book in question is a whodunit. I'm really sorry if any of you have been disappointed after coming across these synopses on our website. We're all a bit red-faced about it here.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I had a reply from a lady called Jenny - she also thanked me for drawing attention to the review and asked where I had seen it, so I replied to her saying I had followed a link from this site. It seems all is now well and I guess that mistake won't be made again! Thanks Egmont for your swift response.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Moonraker wrote:Maybe, in the interests of tack, diplomacy and politeness, the Gggrrrrrr should be deleted from the Topic heading. :D
All deleted as requested, you were absolutely right.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

How lovely to see someone from Egmont on the forums. Hope you pay us many a visit Mike, you're most welcome. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

I am indeed glad to hear of the immediate response. Welcome to the forums, Mike. Hope you visit us often.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Egmont UK Ltd

Post by Egmont UK Ltd »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:How lovely to see someone from Egmont on the forums. Hope you pay us many a visit Mike, you're most welcome. :D

8)
hope189 wrote:I am indeed glad to hear of the immediate response. Welcome to the forums, Mike. Hope you visit us often.
Well, thank you very much for the welcome. Realistically, I'm not going to get on here often (they tend to keep me fairly busy around here), but I was pleased that we were alerted to the mistake we'd made and I thought it important to respond to the community quickly and directly.

In all seriousness though, we do make mistakes from time to time and we genuinely welcome feedback from readers, parents, groups like this one or anyone else who happens to take an interest. I won't post an email address on here for obvious reasons, but there is a general contact email on our website that you are more than welcome to use.

By all means use the forum to discuss our antics and your feelings about it, but if you want to be sure that your feedback will reach us quickly, every mail that comes through our website is sent to someone in the team who can get something done about it. :)
Tony Summerfield

A taster for you all of one of the new covers, I really like it, but it will be interesting to see what others think. The other three can be seen in the Cave.

I have had it confirmed by Egmont that the cover is the only change, the internal text has not been altered at all.