Why no Mrs Goon?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Why no Mrs Goon?

Post by Yak »

Although not a generally very likeable fellow, I can't help feeling rather sorry for Goon. He's a village bobby of indeterminate age who is being plagued by a young fellow who he must know (no matter how slow he is) will one day be ranked very much higher in the police force than Goon himself is. He doesn't have much in the way of brains or ability but there are indications that he takes his job seriously, nonetheless.

Anyway I was wondering how much happier he might be had he had a wife? We see him, in some of the books, cooking and generally shifting for himself and it made me feel that he must have been a lonely soul. Why would such a man have been unmarried? I know he was a prat but there must have been some kind-hearted lady out there who would have liked to have been the wife of the village bobby!
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Petermax

Re: Why no Mrs Goon?

Post by Petermax »

Yak wrote:Although not a generally very likeable fellow, I can't help feeling rather sorry for Goon. ........
Anyway I was wondering how much happier he might be had he had a wife? We see him, in some of the books, cooking and generally shifting for himself and it made me feel that he must have been a lonely soul. Why would such a man have been unmarried?
Goon was probably single through choice. I am not qualified to comment too much about him as I have never read the F.F.O, but many men are so engrossed in their chosen career and various other interests, that they have no time for the constraints of marriage and family life in general.

Another example of this is perhaps Bill Smugs prior to his appearance in Island of Adventure.
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Good question, but in my opinion Goon had to be single. So that he didn't have a son. :lol: Of course, Ern was very different from him..... :D
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Yak

Post by Yak »

True - I wondered about Bill too but I presumed that he felt that his job was just too dangerous to get married previously.

There is an indication - tho not confirmed either way - that Jenks might hvae been a bachelor too; we hear mention of his niece but never a wife or children.

Goon doesn't strike me as being very career minded tho, even tho he does take his job seriously. He doesn't seem to have much ambition ;)
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Apart from the fact that Blyton had to make him single in order to portray him as the buffoon that he was I think Goon probably just never found any woman who, in his opinion, was worthy of him. He was unbearably pompous and full of his own importance at all times and so was probably the kind of man who considered mere household matters to be beneath him. I know there were (and are) many such men but would you really have wished a lifetime of Goon on any poor female? :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

LOL well no ;). And you make a good point that his single-ness might not be because no woman had ever wanted to marry him but because he set his sights too high and did not think that any of the type of women who might want to marry him were good enough for him.

Plus I suppose we do not know what age he is .. he might be only late 30s or something and as such, even in the forties was not necessarily condemned to bachelorhood forever...
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think Enid was more concerned about the story she was writing at the time to think about whether they were married or not. Although Goon was part of the story he was not the main character and therefore I don't think she thought about giving him any kind of background. The same as Inspector Jenks, he was always in at the end but we knew nothing about him apart from the fact that he had a niece and liked fishing.

Also when children read these books, I don't think they even think about whether someone is married or not. It's only as we read these books as adults that we want to go more into someone's background. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I assumed he would be around 45 or so. It is mentioned in Pantomime Cat that "Goon was twice [Pippin's] age". Perhaps Pippin was around 22 and thus Goon 40+.

Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

Oh yeah, good observation :)

I did like Pippin. Perhaps he took over Goon's position and house when Goon retired? (or was booted out??)
charmstar
Favourite book/series: R Mysteries, Finder-Outer Mysteries
Favourite character: Barney

Post by charmstar »

Oh come on, who would want to marry Goon? He is described as unattractive in both looks and personality and seems to have no redeeming qualities at all - personally I loathe him because of how he treats Buster.
Chloe
Favourite book/series: The Enchanted Wood, The Secret Island
Favourite character: Carlotta

Post by Chloe »

I think this is a wonderful question. I think Mr Goon would certainly have been happier with the right woman.

I like to think that once he found her and maybe she died or maybe she ran off with another policeman. Either way he was hurt and dissillusioned and resolved to spend the rest of his life as a batchelor to avoid such heartbreak again.

I do spend a lot of time thinking that if Mr Goon just had someone to cuddle at night he would feel much better about everything.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Chloe wrote:I do spend a lot of time thinking that if Mr Goon just had someone to cuddle at night he would feel much better about everything.
Now that's an image I could well do without - thanks for that, Chloe!

Seriously, I can imagine a Mrs Goon; she would be plump and rather stupid. She would however, keep the police house clean, cook and be a great housekeeper for old Clear-orf. But, no cuddling please! :shock:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

In my little mind of make believe, or fan-fic, I think there was a Mrs Goon too :wink:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hey, hey, lovely lady! What have you got up your sleeve for us this time? :roll:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

That Goon had a dark past of being almost poisoned by his wife - which is why he turned out to be a policeman? :D :lol:

(Stupid suggestion that. Don't use it, Julie)

Society Member