Adventure series Readathon

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Are you in agreement of having an Adventure series readathon?

Poll ended at 09 Nov 2008, 18:16

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 13

Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Adventure series Readathon

Post by Philip Mannering »

I've just browsed through the Find-Outers readathon where the forum people gave their opinions on the books, and I liked it; can this be done for the Adventure series? This series is my favourite, with strong plots, strong characters, and amazing adventures with a lot of scope for discussion. So the question: would you like a readathon on this wonderful series?
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Adventure series Readathon?

Post by Lucky Star »

If enough people want to join in then yes I would be in favour. It's been a while since we had a readathon and the Adventure series would make a good winter topic. Lets see what others think.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'd like to join in. :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Me too - it'll be an excuse to buy The Island of Adventure again! I lent my copy to my mum's colleague who loves to read, and then she left the school, and we haven't been able to contact her!

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I'll be happy to join you on this one - if I get the chance to go back home, and pick up my Adventure books. I agree that this series is one of Enid's best, with plenty of things that could be discussed. And it would be a good excuse to read some more Blyton!
Ed Fulcrum

Post by Ed Fulcrum »

Yes please!, I've always revelled in the 'Adventure series'!

I still remember reading The Island of Adventure when I was about 8 or 9.
I haven't read them all for a while now and looking back tend to consider 'Island' my favourite.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I'll be happy to join in too. This is also one of my favourite series and always a joy to read.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

Please excuse my ignorance, but before I vote I would like to know exactly what a readathon is and what one has to do. I assume one has to read all the books in a particular series. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance,
Boodi
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Yes Boodi, and then we have a detailed discussion on the books. You can have a look at the Malory Towers readathon, the Strange Bundle readathon, and some more from the past to have an idea, in the Books section.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Well Phil, you have certainly stirred up some interest! Well done! I would certainly join in with the discussion. Incidentally, why haven't you an Adventure cover for your Avatar?
Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Moonraker wrote:Well Phil, you have certainly stirred up some interest! Well done! I would certainly join in with the discussion. Incidentally, why haven't you an Adventure cover for your Avatar?
Good question. Might take some time in answering. I think the most proper answer is that I absolutely loved The Secret Island, and its cover seemed good too (I'm not saying the Adventure series' covers were bad! The original ones were brilliantly done by Stuart Tresilian.) Besides, I might change my avatar any time -- although I'm not doing it any time soon since I don't know how to shorten the original pictures. Tony very kindly did this one for me.

Update: I have now changed my avatar to the cover of The Rubadub Mystery, for I now know a site which resizes pictures. A good site, that. Now I can change my avatar anytime I want! :D
Last edited by Philip Mannering on 14 Nov 2008, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just a question folks on the readathon. Do we have to read the whole series, before the discussion, or do we read the first book, then discuss it, and so on?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Yes please. I liked that series as a child, but several of the titles have been disappointments in more recent rereads, so I'd welcome the chance to return to them again and recapture my initial fondness.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Just a question folks on the readathon. Do we have to read the whole series, before the discussion, or do we read the first book, then discuss it, and so on?

8)
The way I have done it in the past is to read the first book then post a few comments about it then on to the second etc. As far as I remember it takes a couple of days for everyone to have their say on book one, then there's a bit of a lull while people read book two, then a flood of comments/arguments/discussion on that and so on and so forth. Discussing the eight Adventure books will probably stretch out to about seven or eight weeks all told.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

Thanks for explaining Ming! Sounds like a great idea, so you can count me in. I'll go and cast my vote NOW.
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).