Omnibus Bargains!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Raci

Post by Raci »

:D I've now got hold of a copy of Dean's - The Wishing Chair Collection :D

I also got for £4.99 a copy of 'A Treasury of Enid Blyton's School Stories' which looks good. As well as having extracts from 14 of the school series books, it also contains the full story of 'Mischief at St Rollo's' plus 7 other short school stories that I haven't read before. :D

:? But which first??????

:lol: Probably the short school stories then All the Wising Chair stories in the original order then back to see which extracts have been chosen from the school series books I think :lol:

*rubs hands in glee* :D Plenty of reading for me! :D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Wishing Chair

Post by pete9012S »

Moonraker wrote: I'm reading the Dean "Wishing Chair Collection" at the moment...
Me too. The monetary value mentioned on page one interests me:

Monetary value mentioned in page one of The Wishing chair - what does your edition say?

Above:
This page is from my 1950 edition: three shillings

1982: says 75p

2002: says 35p

What amount does your edition say?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Omnibus Bargains!

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

My 1971 edition also has thirty-five pence, but by 2002 that would probably only just about buy a Mars Bar!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Omnibus Bargains!

Post by Rob Houghton »

I even remember as a child thinking it must be a sort of magical place the children lived, where they could get so much for such a small price! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Re: Wishing Chair Omnibus

Post by aminmec »

booklover wrote: 15 Jun 2005, 14:16 After a short break, it's back to this thread!

Once again working off Raci's wonderful list, I've prepared a list of the order in which to read the Dean editions of the Wishing Chair stories to reproduce the original order of the stories:

1. Adventures of the Wishing Chair: chapters 1-4
2. More Wishing Chair Tales: chapters 1-5 (five chapters deleted from the original 1937 Adventures of the Wishing Chair)
3. Adventures of the Wishing Chair: chapters 5-26 (ie chapter 5 to the end of the Dean book)
4. More Wishing Chair Tales: chapters 6-10 (the last five chapters of the original 1937 Adventures of the Wishing Chair)
5. More Wishing Chair Tales: chapters 16-17 (Sunny Stories: the two chapter short story "The Wishing Chair Again")
6. More Wishing Chair Tales: chapter 15 (Sunny Stories: the two chapter short story about "Santa Claus and the Wishing Chair")
7. The Wishing Chair Again: chapters 1-25 (ie the whole book)
8. More Wishing Chair Tales: chapters 11-14 (the four chapters from the 1952 omnibus).

All of this can be achieved with The Wishing Chair Collection omnibus.

I wonder what it will be like to read all the stories in their original order? - for the first time! :roll:
There have been different versions of the Dean omnibus collection .One has a new cover art in a light blue background , the other is having art by Rene Clooke in colour .Can anyone tell if all these have the same content in them or are there omissions /alterations in either . I can't make a publication date conformation of any of these as I dont have them . Thanks .