Favourite Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Belly

Favourite Books

Post by Belly »

I'd like to ask the following questions of others:

Favourite Character?
Favorite Book?
Favourite 'series' of book?

My favourite character is probably George from the Famous Five.

My favourite book is The Castle of Adventure (followed closely by Five Have a Mystery to Solve & Five Go to Kirrin Island Again & quite a few more of the five books). Secret of Spiggy Holes, another.

The 'Adventure' series are my favourite 'series' of books. I loved the Castle of Adventure, Ship of Adventure (I can still remember minor characters after all these years, Lucian - they nicknamed Lucy Ann etc). Sea of Adventure also excellent, ditto Valley of Adventure.

The 'Secret' series I also loved, Prince Paul etc.

The 'mystery' books with Barney etc have also stayed in my memory.
Fatty Findouter 2

Favoutites

Post by Fatty Findouter 2 »

Hi, my name is Fatty Find-outer and my favourite book is THE
ENCHANTED WOOD,My favourite character is Dick out of the
famous five and favourite series is the five find outers.
Rob H

Fav book

Post by Rob H »

my favorite book is probably 'The Rubadub Mystery', because of characters, comedy, mystery and that great feeling of sentiment at the books end.

My favorite series of books is definately the Five Find-outers. The best one in that series has to be 'Pantomime Cat' - as good a 'who-done it?' as any Agatha Christie! Fatty also has to be the best Enid Blyton character (after George, maybe). He is literally the most 'well-rounded' character in any of Enids books!
oldBourney

Post by oldBourney »

mmmm .... very tricky

Favourite character, was probably Barney from the Junior Mystery books
Favourite book .... i've mentioned it in another post "Five go to Smuggler's Top"
Favourite series is the Bill Smuggs adventure series. i re-read them last year (first time in 35 years) and was surprised how much i remembered.
They have their dreams and do not think of us ....
Kirrin

Post by Kirrin »

my fave is five go to smugglers top and fave minor character is jo (raggamuffin jo)
but my fave main one is julian as he is my role-model.

apart from fs I loved the family at red roofs aulthough it was a bit sad in parts. also hollow tree house was wizard!
Anita Bensoussane

Favourites

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good question!

Favourite character - Fatty, without a doubt. As a child, I dreamt of having a friend like him. There would never be a dull moment with him around.

Favourite book - I'm torn between The Valley of Adventure, because it is so full of atmosphere, with a touch of melancholy, and Six Cousins Again, which is a gripping and beautifully-structured family saga.

Favourite series - The Adventure series, because of the wonderful settings - remote islands, hidden valleys, caves and castles - and because the adventures are truly thrilling. The Find-Outers books come a close second, and the Barney mysteries third.

Anita
Belly

Post by Belly »

Re: The Family at Redroofs - I can still remember a surprising amount from this book which I read around 25 years ago!

Prudence's (think the spoilt girl was called Prudence)? father who had 'gone smash' which I thought was a great way of describing bankruptcy! The steadfastness of Molly in the face of adversity, etc.

Redroofs was well written and moved me to tears at the time - when Mr Jackson goes missing.

Wonder what gave Enid the idea for the Family at Redroofs - so poignant she surely must have experienced some of what went on in the book?

Be interesting to see what others thought??
heather

Favourite Books

Post by heather »

My favourite character is probably Jack from the Adventure Series.

My favourite book is Adventures of Pip I think - I thought it enchanting when I first read it when I was 6/7 and I still think it exquisite.

My favourite series is split between the Adventure series and the Mr PinkWhistle books

Post by Guest »

I think my favourite Enid Blyton character is George from The Famous Five. Dick is a close second, because he's a mix of sensible (like Julian) and spontaneous (like George), but George's antics in stories like Five Go Adventuring Again (good instincts!) are just so entertaining. She also adds an emotional element to many of the stories, because she can be so moody and stubborn.

My favourite book might be The Secret Island, which is just magical, or perhaps Five Go Down To The Sea or Five On A Hike Together. Really terrific stories and characters.

Favourite series? Got to be the Famous Five. My youth was too imbued with those stories for it to be anything else!

:D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ummmmm.........favourite books. Tends to be the one I'm reading at the moment! Probably the FF books - FGTSmuggler's Top seemed to me to be the FF masterpiece. The epitomy of adventure; secret ways, villains and so on. Has there ever been a villain like Block? Love the Mystery series. Fatty is so cool! As for the Adventure series; Bill Smugs was an excellent character. So British!!
Raci

Post by Raci »

Fave characters - Too many to list!

Fave books - The Secret Island, The Magic of the Faraway Tree, Children of Willow Farm :D To name but a few!

Fave series - Secrets, Faraway Trees, Willow/Cherry Tree Farm, Adventure

But just found many new to me books so I guess the list will keep growing :D

These are the ones that really stand out from my childhood as well of course as the F5's
Issy

Post by Issy »

I like Mary-Lou from the Malory Towers series and Isabel from the St Clare's series-let me just also point out a book that is probably not very well known that I liked (as a younger child) and that is "Mrs Furrymouse's pepper pot"-it's a fun book-anyone else heard of it?
Issy
Raci

Post by Raci »

Hi Issy

I was looking at eBays EB books today and saw 'Mrs Furrymouse and the pepper pot' listed there but had never heard of it.

Test your memory now :lol: - Can you remember the storyline?

Thanks
Issy

Post by Issy »

Sure Raci-in a nutshell (shame they're not squirrels!! :D ) Twoo families of mice living across each other in a kitchen. Mrs Furrymouse is the head of one family-there's a party with both families, at the end of the party when the Furrymouses go home they attempt to get some chesse from the farmer's table and the only way to stop the cat getting to them is putting pepper all round the tablecloth so that they could get the cheese while the cat (bless him!) sneezes like anything from the pepper up his nose!! A great book-one i certainly found entertaining as a child-bought it at a school book fair.
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

the books

Post by gareth jones »

My favourite character is Jack Trent followed closely by Dick.
Favourite book is probably The Castle of Adventure.
Favourite series The Adventure books great characters plots and settings.
The first book of Enid 's i ever read was The Sea of Adventure in 1968.