Favourite Five Find-Outers book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Your favourite Five Find-Outers book

1. Burnt Cottage
4%
2. Disappearing Cat
2%
3. Secret Room
12%
4. Spiteful Letters
13%
5. Missing Necklace
13%
6. Hidden House
6%
7. Pantomime Cat
8%
8. Invisible Thief
12%
9. Vanished Prince
2%
10. Strange Bundle
6%
11. Holly Lane
1%
12. Tally-Ho Cottage
10%
13. Missing Man
3%
14. Strange Messages
9%
15. Banshee Towers
2%

Total votes: 104

Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Favourite Five Find-Outers book

Post by Courtenay »

Look you, whateffer! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:I don't think an underground garage is any more far fetched than a certain mountain in Wales.....
Oh - I agree - I was just meaning in the Find Outer books, which are usually slightly more grounded! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Firstly - apologies. I couldn't really decide the most suitable thread for this post so I have just bunged it here.

I read the Mystery Of The Spiteful Letters a day or two back, and something occurred to me. Was there actually a crime committed?

The UK passed The Protection From Harassment Act 1997. I'm no legal expert but I'm guessing that would encompass anonymous letters. There may well have been some preceding legislation.

Anyway, my point is that i) If something is true then it isn't libellous. ii) If no threats are made then the recipient is not in any danger as such. So, all that is left is 'harassment'. Was that an offence at the time The Mystery Of The Spiteful Letters was written? Does anyone know?
"The days are long, but the years are short"
burlingtonbertram

Bump ^^^^

No legal experts on here? :shock:
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I've just 'googled' it. It seems it is not illegal as long as the letter does not contain any threats or blackmail.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

That's what I am wondering. Seems to me that maybe a certain character could sue for unlawful arrest :D Where there is blame there is a claim!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

An interesting question, BurlingtonBertram. Like Daisy, I did a spot of Googling. I discovered that a Malicious Communications Act was passed in 1988, which covers poison-pen letters, but I don't know whether there was any earlier legislation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malicious_ ... s_Act_1988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe the writer of the anonymous notes in The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters couldn't have been fined or imprisoned under the laws of the time. However, if the newspapers ran the story that would serve as a punishment of sorts, because everyone in that person's community would be made aware of his/her nasty behaviour. So the Find-Outers' work wouldn't have been wasted!

Edit: Just remembered the solemn warning about poison-pen letters which is given in In the Fifth at Malory Towers, when a girl who has been sending them is caught. Again, the letters are spiteful rather than threatening. Miss Potts says she is shocked that "there is a girl in this school... who is guilty of something for which in later years she could be sent to prison - a thing that as a rule rarely begins until a girl is much older than you, because it is only depraved and cowardly characters who attempt this underhand, stab-in-the-dark kind of thing. We call this kind of thing 'poison-pen' writing, when the writers are grown up, and they are held in universal loathing and hatred, considered the lowest of the low."

So the possibility of prison (for an adult writer of such letters) is mentioned by Enid Blyton, but whether she was right I've no idea. In the Fifth at Malory Towers was published in 1950, and The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters in 1946.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I have been wondering if there has been a change in legislation since the books were written or whether Enid Blyton was just using the situation she had created as a Big Warning to the children who were eagerly lapping up her books.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

There seems to be a grey area - malicious letters can be classed as criminal ... I think ...and some of Mrs Moon's statements were certainly that.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

We know such letters are regarded as criminal nowadays (since at least 1988), but what about in the 1940s as BurlingtonBertram was asking? It does seem hard to believe that there was no legislation on the matter until the late 1980s!

Are we told what is to happen to the culprit in The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters? What about writers of anonymous letters in stories by other crime writers, like Agatha Christie or (even earlier) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? Or does anyone know the details of any real life cases?

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

It could well be a grey area, if there is no blackmail element or actual untruths. I would never dispute that such things are malicious and Enid was doing a good thing getting that point across to younger readers. Hats off to her for that.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I think it was just a milder interpretation of a Poison Pen crime, obviously to introduce it to children and to make it more suitable for the intended age group. I think it is an interesting and enjoyable book, and I always appreciate the unique and unusual genre. On the Wikipedia page for 'Poison Pen Letter': there is a reference to Enid Blyton's The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_pen_letter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's interesting to see the list of books with poison-pen letters as a main theme, Poppy. I wonder if any of the other authors shed light on the legal situation.
burlingtonbertram wrote:I would never dispute that such things are malicious and Enid was doing a good thing getting that point across to younger readers. Hats off to her for that.
Good point. Even if writing such letters wasn't always illegal, it was always immoral and harmful.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I was thinking it might be because it was something children could investigate.

Obviously Enid couldn't set a bad example and have the Find Outers investigate a murder or really serious crime,but poison pen letters,yes.
Very Agatha Christie like too.She had one were a couple settled into a quiet village were poison pen letters were flying about.
They even received one themselves I think...just can't remember the book.Nigel will know.

That made me think: what was the most serious crime the Find Outers solved?
They did meet some dangerous brutal characters though didn't they- some even more brutal than PC Goon...Secret Room,Hidden House spring to mind...any others??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Yes, Poppy. I can say that Enid tried her hand on detective mystery for children in Find-Outers series. She also injected the series with humour. Fans who think that FFO series is ridiculous have missed the point altogether. The series is meant to be funny in the first place with Fatty's antics. Mr. Goon is just "an object" for the FFO to ridicule. I enjoyed and preferred reading FFO series when I was a child(and still do!). There are clues, intuitive thinking(usually by Fatty or Bets), piece together the puzzles from various clues, interview the suspects and disguise. These are elements in many adult detective novels from Golden Age in this series. Since the early age, I've been destined to love this genre(detective mystery) rather than adventure. And it's only natural, I read Agatha Christie after FFO series. :D

The element of detection(plus humour) in FFO series is strong. There is very little adventure in this series. Fans who like to be thrilled by adventure, usually think that FFO is pale in comparison to The Famous Five or Adventure series. I think, we should regard and classify FFO in the correct category accordingly for us to actually enjoy the series as it is i.e. children detection with humour. If we expect to read "another adventure" when reading FFO series, that is when the disappointment sets in. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!