What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by sixret »

Since I was a child, I have been sympathized with Susie. I have always thought why the Secret Seven members have strong animosity towards Susie and Binkie. They just want to be accepted just like any other children and their antics will be gone, I'm sure. And Susie can use her great brain to help them solving the cases. I couldn't accept Peter's attitude in promoting hatred towards Susie.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I think Susie is great.I wouldn't have lasted more than five minutes with Peter from the Secret Seven and his ever so slightly pompous,overbearing,bossy,condescending,haughty attitude.

I would like to have been in a club with just Susie on a mission to terrorise and wind up the Secret Seven.
I love Snubby too.Especially when he goes off wandering on his own.
A clod of a boy,always fooling around,stupid,but at times perceptive too...

I also really like Andy from The Adventurous Four and Julian because they are so balanced,mature and sensible.
You do need someone like that to rein in the odd loony! :D

Could never take to Eunice or Henrietta - not my cup of tea,but live and let live and each to his own.
Loved the way Fatty treated little Bets.That's a fantastic friendship that transcends age,gender,mental ability etc etc.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think Susie is a great character now I'm an adult, but as a child I hated her!

I always love Enid's 'annoying' characters - Curious Connie, Susie, Eunice, Henrietta etc - Enid was great at creating characters like those.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Eddie Muir wrote:I've just started reading Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm.
Have you read it before, Eddie? I love the Six Cousins books as Enid Blyton is at the top of her game as far as characterisation, conflicts and emotions are concerned. The adult characters are every bit as important as the children and teenagers.
Pete9012S wrote:I love Snubby too.Especially when he goes off wandering on his own.
A clod of a boy,always fooling around,stupid,but at times perceptive too...
I'm also very fond of Snubby. I don't actually find him stupid at all. He isn't keen on schoolwork and he seems idiotic at times simply because he has a tendency to carry a joke too far - but he's observant and witty and he has good brains, an inquisitive nature and an instinctive understanding of people. In The Rubadub Mystery he's the only one to stand up for Dummy and he refuses to give up trying to help Barney even when Barney himself thinks all is hopeless.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I agree with you, Pete that Andy and Julian have the most balanced personalities. They are great leaders.

And I also love Snubby, Fatty and Mr. Twiddle for some reasons. For me, they have that endearing qualities. :D

Further Secret Seven discussion has been moved to 'The Secret Seven':

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... &start=165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

Every year, in the run up to Christmas, I used to always dig out my 1983 Knight paperback of Five Go Adventuring Again. This was the first 'five' book I read and it had a great festive vibe - even the cover artwork was very seasonal too!

I did see a coverless 1st edition of this book recently come up on ebay, but life got in the way and I forgot to place a bid! Although, the Knight edition will always be my favorite.

Lex
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Returned to 'Five on a Hike Together' and immediately noticed that, despite it being half term in October, the weather is very warm and sunny. Rather strange you might think, but this story was probably written in 1950 following a very warm September and October in 1949. This must have had some effect on Enid when it came to writing this story.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I thought that when I read it - although heavy rain does feature quite prominently in the story too! :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Fora hiking story Enid would probably have chosen warmer weather anyway. The rain is part of the story but to have the Five freezing in a tent would have spoiled the atmosphere.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

After finishing "The new adventures of the wishing chair" I started to read "Le mystère de la cascade" (= The valley of adventure). I had to learn that the edition "l'idéal-Bibliothèque" from 1962 has more text than the one of "Bibliothèque rose" from 1980.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Francis

Post by Francis »

So it's not just in England that the books get edited. :(

Approaching the end of 'Hike' and the recovery of the stolen goods is wonderfully well written. This book really shows how much the 'Five' are a complete team. Julian the leader, orchestrating their actions and intimidating Maggie and Dirty Dick, Dick showing a lighter touch with intelligent suggestions and quips, George being impulsive and brave and Anne being timid but very sensitive to atmosphere and landscape and finally Timmy being fiercely protective.

I love the bit where the police Inspector makes a speech about how they were just the kind of 'kids' the country needed!
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I am going to start my first Secret Seven book. It's gonna be my first time after all these years reading Enid Blyton. My sister had them but for no reason I have never liked them. So I am very excited with this one! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Having finished the wonderful 'Hike' I have started the next in the sequence - 'Five have a Wonderful Time'. This book starts in a classic manner with both George and Quentin in a mood and slamming doors! That angel, Aunt Fanny, keeps the peace and smooths things over. I wonder if I am the only one who thinks that Quentin hardly deserves such a wonderful wife. Still it's nice to read about George asserting herself again after her unaccustomed meekness in 'Hike'!
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Interesting that 'Wonderful Time' has concerns associated with the early post war period. Thus the reference to Scientists betraying secrets and the 'them and us' feeling in the country. Shows that Enid read newspapers and listened to the radio and was fully aware of current issues. She did not lock herself away in a fantasy world as some would have us believe.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Indeed. The Rubadub Mystery and Five go to Billycock Hill are also very topical for their time concerning spies, submarines, secret airplanes and espionage. Enid certainly did not live in any kind of void.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member