What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Rob Houghton »

IceMaiden wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: I've just read the first post on this page and after scrolling very very carefully and cautiously down to the reply box, please please can somebody tell me if there any pictures of eight legged things on the previous pages? I'm absolutely petrified of spiders, I'm severely arachnophobic, I can't even look at a picture of one as it will give me a panic attack, so if there's some terrifying close up I need to avoid it. If EB had ever put one in a book with illustrations I wouldn't be able to read it. Point blank. Yes I am that bad :( .
I'm pretty sure that there aren't any scary photos of spiders - or any spider photos at all (at least, from page 205 onwards). Courtenay did post one, but she removed it. 8) It must be awful to have panic attacks from seeing pictures of spiders. I suffer panic attacks occasionally and know how awful they feel.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I did post a close-up of a Sydney funnel-web, but as Rob says, I removed it, precisely because another forum member was severely upset by it. No-one else has posted anything of the sort, so don't worry, you're safe to read back through the thread. :wink:

That said, I honestly don't think I would include poisonous spiders in an Adventure book if I ever do write one. I would feel very irresponsible if I made young kids think it's perfectly OK and fun to handle a Sydney funnel-web and it makes a nice pet. :shock: So I promise I'll leave the spiders out of it. I might have Philip mentioning the prospect of taming some Australian spiders and Dinah throwing a fit, but Bill will warn him off it and he'll never actually get to try. 8)

(Even in River, I notice the only reason Enid "allows" Philip to have a snake is that it's had its poison ducts cut and can't harm anyone, but she also makes a point of how cruel that is and that the snake will soon die. I suspect she too didn't want to be accused of encouraging children to play with venomous creatures.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Rob has panic attacks? :shock:
I didn't see that pic before you removed it, but I honestly don't mind much. Of course if something that venomous was crawling up my leg I'd mostly have a fit, but I just had to go and google it up to see what was so bad in the pic. :lol:
Just imagine what Dinah would do if Phillip tames a Funnel Web! :shock: :shock: :lol:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Spitfire wrote:
John Pickup wrote:
Francis wrote:Reached the end of 'The River of Adventure' and after a thrilling period leading up to the finding of the
treasure, the book fizzles out as if Enid lost interest and ended the book early. The villain is rather disappointingly weak being akin to the one in 'The Ship of adventure' - and this is after Bill has built him up as a sinister figure likely to cause serious problems.
I completely agree, Francis. Raya Uma and Mr Eppy could be one and the same person. Neither of these two are as dangerous and menacing as Jo-Jo in Island or the crooks in Sea or the spies in Castle. River and Ship are definitely my two least favourite Adventure books after my own recent re-read.
Yes, I agree too that after such a tense and exhilarating time River just fizzles out quite disappointingly, and Raya Uma goes from being sinister to pathetic within a page or two. :(

Jo-Jo is my 'favourite' villain (if you know what I mean!) - he's truly evil - and the impact is so much the greater because for a large part of the book he's often dismissed as essentially harmless - nasty yes, a bit cunning and soft in the head - but essentially not somebody to worry about. How wrong the children were, and it nearly cost them their lives!

I've really enjoyed your posts, both of you, as you've read through the Adventure series. It's my favourite Enid Blyton series so it's great to vicariously enjoy bits of it through others' musings! :D
I've still got 'Island' and 'Castle' to go as I started with 'Valley' so it will be good to end the series on a high note despite going back to the past with Bill and Allie! I wouldn't want to end on 'River' and feel disappointed. Glad you are enjoying John and my reviews! We are all lovers of the series as one of the greatest series that Enid ever wrote. It always amazes me that the 1940s saw so many classic series started by her - 'Famous Five', 'Adventure', 'Find-Outers', Malory Towers, and her series of books for younger children.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Darrell71 wrote:Rob has panic attacks? :shock:
I have done in the past, and have learned to control them to a certain extent. They began in 2011 completely out of the blue, and happen when I feel particularly stressed, rather than because I see a spider etc. They aren't pleasant at all.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

IceMaiden wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: I've just read the first post on this page and after scrolling very very carefully and cautiously down to the reply box, please please can somebody tell me if there any pictures of eight legged things on the previous pages? I'm absolutely petrified of spiders, I'm severely arachnophobic, I can't even look at a picture of one as it will give me a panic attack, so if there's some terrifying close up I need to avoid it. If EB had ever put one in a book with illustrations I wouldn't be able to read it. Point blank. Yes I am that bad :( .
Ice Maiden, I think EB mentioned spiders or beetles in "Mystery of the Missing Man".

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... issing+Man" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Yes, it's abour beetles, it's the book I learned Coleopterists have nothing to do with collies.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote:...it's the book I learned Coleopterists have nothing to do with collies.
:wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Darrell71 wrote:Rob has panic attacks? :shock:
I have done in the past, and have learned to control them to a certain extent. They began in 2011 completely out of the blue, and happen when I feel particularly stressed, rather than because I see a spider etc. They aren't pleasant at all.
Ooh I see. I can imagine that they aren't pleasant, though I've never had one.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Just to change the topic a bit. I have just finished reading The Mystery of the Invisible Thief! My, it's a great book! Now that I am back to the world of Fatty & Co :wink:, I think they are my favourite series. :D But the thing is, I pity Mr Goon! Gah!!!
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It's good to hear you're enjoying the Find-Outer series so much Maria Esther - it is one of my favourites too. Sometimes Mr Goon does get into a situation where one can feel a bit sorry for him, I agree, but then he goes and spoils any pity we have by being nasty again!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Still reading 'Mountain of Adventure' and I'm quite enjoying it, despite feeling it was one of those I didn't like much! It gets better after the children enter the mountain - but I do think it's rather amusing that they talk about the 'King' and about the brains behind everything, and realise something dangerous is going on, with mention of the special wings and people dying etc, then they all sit down at a big banqueting table and help themselves! Surely they would be afraid of being caught?! :roll: -
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I remember there was an implication in the book that it could be some kind of strange after-effect of their exposure to the anti-gravity rays, going by Jack's remarks as they finish eating (p. 200 in my copy):
"Well — what about trying to find our way out again?" said Jack at last. "I don't know whether it's anything to do with that queer feeling we had when the floor of the big pit was pushed back, and we saw that extraordinary mass of brilliance below — but I feel rather don't-carish now — not scared any more. I don't even feel that it's terribly urgent to get out of here, thought I know it is!"
"It was a very queer feeling," said Philip. "I thought I was going to float up into the air the next minute! I hung on to that balcony for dear life!"
They had all felt the same — and now they felt as Jack did — very "don't-carish." But that wouldn't do at all...
In fact, although I don't think Enid makes any specific reference to it again, I wonder if that effect of the rays also had something to do with how the "King" and his manipulators could mesmerise all those paratroopers into agreeing to try out the anti-gravity wings — being so near the mysterious metal made them lose any sense of fear or suspicion about what they were being told and called on to do.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Francis

Post by Francis »

I totally believed in the power of anti-gravity rays as a seven year old - but I also thought that Philip would die.
A table full of food could not be ignored by any self-respecting children in one of Enid's books no matter what the situation!
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Started 'Island of Adventure' and I found the loneliness of the children very moving. As usual Lucy-Ann articulates this feeling more than anyone else. In a sense it is a book about abandonment - four children with only one parent who is absent and overworked. Aunty Polly is left to look after them all and with a husband who is no help and in a sense has abandoned her. All this in a bleak wind-swept house partly in ruins with a sinister servant. It reminds ne of 'Rebecca' with its' atmosphere and latent threat. With the distant Isle of Gloom coming and going in the mist to top it off. I am already very impressed - it's amazing how much you get out of a careful re-read.
Society Member