The Landscape of Kirrin?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The Landscape of Kirrin?

Post by Courtenay »

Hmmm... this is from the link Viv provided, a blog post guest-written by the author of the book:
But. We all know why she’s controversial, but it takes going back to reread as an adult to feel the weight of it. It’s not only the obvious things: Noddy’s infamous carjacking golliwogs; the multitude of ‘swarthy’, poor, poorly-spoken types her investigators can just tell, somehow, are up to no good; simpering Anne, so useless compared to George who is - phew! - ‘as good as a boy’ - and of course, the predictable prose, the repetitive plots. There’s a core of judgemental selfish nastiness running through them that sours the fun; a fundamental mistrust of anything other than four posh white people.
Really? Are Enid's villains largely a "multitude of 'swarthy', poor, poorly-spoken types? Do her books really teach "a fundamental mistrust of anything other than four posh white people"? You could easily take a handful of Blyton books with passages that could be interpreted as such. But reading across Enid's entire oeuvre - as many of us here have - I suspect an attentive and unbiased reader might find a different, and far more nuanced, story. :?
Enid Blyton’s writing is some sort of weird sorcery.

Seriously. I read a bunch of stories with small relatives that holiday, and wow. I know no other writer who understands reading age and how to mediate her work across different age groups so well. She nails bedtime stories: just long enough for you to be able to say ‘ok, one more’. There are moments in the Enchanted Wishing Chair which are throwaway rubbish but which I have apparently remembered across decades because they were reread time and again. Her plots are about botany and ‘the butcher’s boy,’ such opaque distant stuff, and it doesn’t matter. And because they are so many, because they are familiar and repetitive, because they are by the same author - they carry you from the flimsy to real confidence, independent reading, a whole book all by yourself. Magic.
Hmmm. Well, for such a professed Blyton fan herself, Susie Day could start by getting her titles right - there is no Enid Blyton book called "the Enchanted Wishing Chair"! :x

As for her other criticisms, like "familiar and repetitive plots", I wish she (and others with similar complaints) could have been at David Rudd's lecture in Canterbury two months ago. The way he dismantled just about every criticism of Blyton you can imagine (and then some)...! I could have stood up and outright cheered by the end.

On top of that, I just find it galling to hear/see Enid accused of "repetitive plots", "predictable prose", etc. when, while I was growing up, there were so many endless series of cheap, trashy children's books being churned out - The Babysitters' Club and Goosebumps, for example - with dozens of titles that really WERE repetitive and predictable and far, far less imaginative and rewarding than Blyton.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I really don't know why many of you read this trash. I have little interest in Enid's private life and even less interest in what these so-called blog writers' opinions on Enid's books are.

We life-long lovers of Enid Blyton know how fantastic her work was. And so do the millions who buy her books today.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

That's precisely why I'm not interested in reading Susie Day's book, Nigel. I don't need her, via her "thinker and worrier" child characters, to tell me what I ought to think about one of my all-time favourite children's authors (who, incidentally, has sold millions more books than I suspect the good Ms Day ever will). 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:I just find it galling to hear/see Enid accused of "repetitive plots", "predictable prose", etc. when, while I was growing up, there were so many endless series of cheap, trashy children's books being churned out - The Babysitters' Club and Goosebumps, for example - with dozens of titles that really WERE repetitive and predictable and far, far less imaginative and rewarding than Blyton.
True. Enid Blyton is actually far more versatile than most children's authors, as she aimed her work at a wide age-range and covered a plethora of genres. She wrote adventure and mystery stories, fantasy, tales about nursery toys, books set on farms or circuses, school stories, nature books, religious stories, fairy tales, plays, poems and re-tellings of ancient myths and legends. Although there is inevitably some repetition and predictability in Blyton books, there is undoubtedly more in the work of other authors who haven't written for such a wide age-range or in so many genres - yet they don't get criticised to the same extent. I'm thinking of writers like Noel Streatfeild, Malcolm Saville and Jacqueline Wilson. Series like Goosebumps and Animal Ark are so formulaic that they constitute a category of their own!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Moonraker wrote:I really don't know why many of you read this trash. I have little interest in Enid's private life and even less interest in what these so-called blog writers' opinions on Enid's books are.

We life-long lovers of Enid Blyton know how fantastic her work was. And so do the millions who buy her books today.
Hear, Hear, Nigel. Enid's books were written to entertain Children, NOT for the adult politically correct brigade. End of! :)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

number 6 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I really don't know why many of you read this trash. I have little interest in Enid's private life and even less interest in what these so-called blog writers' opinions on Enid's books are.

Hear, Hear, Nigel. Enid's books were written to entertain Children, NOT for the adult politically correct brigade. End of! :)
I don't think anything written in this world ever would please the dried up boring dull and unthinking minds of the politically correct brigade. I'm sure in future generations people will look back at much of what the PC fanatics have done and laugh about how ridiculous people were in the 'old days' of 2015.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I'm already laughing at them now, Robert! :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

The extremes of the PC Brigade attitude will one day be likened to the Victorians banning bathing suits and covering up table legs. :roll: :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Some of these comments have been incredibly useful to me. I'm still working out how to respond - after all, this book was long-listed for the Carnegie medal and was a Book Trust book of the month. Any reviews here will be gratefully recieved!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I like to reflect, whenever I hear critics laughing and sneering at the way people thought 50 or 100 years ago, that in 50 or 100 years' time, future critics will be laughing and sneering just as much at how people of our time thought. :mrgreen:

Back on topic, anyway... you know, I don't think I ever had a crystal clear picture of Kirrin in my mind while reading the FF stories. England (especially 1940s/'50s England) was too far away for me to really imagine in detail, so I think I focussed more on imagining the characters and adventures than filling in too many details of the surrounding scenery. But the photo that Chrissie shared earlier would work for me as Kirrin Cottage:

Eileen Soper's dramatic picture of Kirrin Cottage crushed by the HUGE tree in Smuggler's Top always made an impression on me:

It doesn't show us much of the surrounding landscape or exactly how far the cottage is from the sea, though. But I always imagined it to be very close. Here's one of my favourite illustrations that captures the spirit of George, Timmy and Kirrin Island - I imagine that if we followed George and Timmy as they turned around to go home, Kirrin Cottage would be only a short walk directly behind where they are in the picture.

Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:Some of these comments have been incredibly useful to me. I'm still working out how to respond - after all, this book was long-listed for the Carnegie medal and was a Book Trust book of the month. Any reviews here will be gratefully recieved!

Viv
Viv, David Rudd also had a lot to say specifically about golliwogs in Blyton and the allegations of racism, which he very firmly overturned. I did a review of his lecture in the most recent EBS Journal (56) and summarised what he said, but I gather he had far more to say on the subject in his book, Enid Blyton and the Mystery of Children's Literature - he questions whether golliwogs should be considered racist at all, let alone in Enid Blyton. If you need a good reference to back you up in your response, I think that book would be perfect. Unfortunately it seems it's very hard to come by, but perhaps Tony could help.

I think I'll have to make another trip to Corfe some time and buy one (or more) of your gollies myself! :wink:
Society Member

number 6

Post by number 6 »

Robert Houghton wrote:
number 6 wrote: I'm already laughing at them now, Robert! :D
The extremes of the PC Brigade attitude will one day be likened to the Victorians banning bathing suits and covering up table legs. :roll: :lol:
Haha, yes, this is true. However, I think I need my legs covering up...they're terrible! :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

That photo would also fit my impression of Kirrin cottage, with the hills behind, and maybe a lane in front, and just about where the photographer is standing would be the rocky path down to the beach.

I was looking at Sopers interpretation of Kirrin Island yesterday, in Five Have Plenty of Fun and realised it doesn't really fit with my idea of Kirrin. People who have seen my clay model will see what I mean. It also doesn't really fit with what Enid tells us, as Sopers version looks just like a rock with a castle filling most of it - whereas Enid describes it as being much bigger than the illustration, with a cove and grass and the castle. I'm surprised Enid accepted Sopers rendering of it in a way. Its hard to imagine being able to pull a boat up on the island, looking at the Soper version. Even so, I like the depiction of George and Timmy and the island - its just not exactly as I see it in my minds eye.

On the subject of Golliwogs - which I rarely abbreviate to Gollies - makes it sound as if somehow the 'wogs' part is racist, which I don't consider it to be - I have never thought them the slightest bit racist. I always considered them to be a creature in their own right. As a child I'd never seen a person who looked like a golliwog and I still haven't. Surely those who think Golliwogs are racist are actually being racist in suggesting such a thing? Do they really think ethnic people look like Golliwogs?! t would be like saying that one of those toy plastic trolls that were all the rage a few years ago looked like a human being - ridiculous. My toy golliwog as a child was one of my posher toys - I liked the smart way he was dressed and always considered him to be a better class of toy than bears or rabbits etc!

Enid's golliwogs are rarely bad. As she herself said, she had very many more well behaved golliwogs in her books and the golliwog in Amelia Jane, who is quite a main character, is actually very intelligent, and one of the more respected toys in the nursery. It seems that the racist tag has really only been applied to Enid because of a few short stories and the fact that some golliwogs mug Noddy and steal his car in one Noddy book.

Even in the story about The Little Black Doll in A Story Party At Green Hedges, which is another story muted as being racist, Enid argues that the black doll, Sambo, is the only one who hates his black face - all the other toys prefer it that way, and she makes the point that regardless of looks and colour, it is what we are like as a person that counts. To me, this was an attitude that was way ahead of its time.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The photo, taken just above Lulworth Cove, would be a good fit for Kirrin Cottage. There are double windows on its extreme right, just like Anne & George's room had...one facing the sea & the other overlooking the Moors (if I've got that right!). :D
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:Hmmm... this is from the link Viv provided, a blog post guest-written by the author of the book:
But. We all know why she’s controversial, but it takes going back to reread as an adult to feel the weight of it. It’s not only the obvious things: Noddy’s infamous carjacking golliwogs; the multitude of ‘swarthy’, poor, poorly-spoken types her investigators can just tell, somehow, are up to no good; simpering Anne, so useless compared to George who is - phew! - ‘as good as a boy’ - and of course, the predictable prose, the repetitive plots.
To be honest, I didn't notice too many repetitive EB plots, but I can only speak for the suspenseful series and stand-alone books.

There is a certain similarity between "the Boy Next Door" and "Strange Ruby" as the kidnappers decide in both stories to hide the children at the exact place (houseboat/secret island) where the children are already staying.
And the "Adventurous Four" and "Sea of Adventure" have a few similarities, but other than that I got the impression that EB came up with an amazing variety of new stories over the decades.

Most adult authors write variations of the same theme over and over again (formula writing), so why blame EB for something many other authors have done in the past and in this day and age do even more and more often?
Just think of Kay Hooper, Peter Robinson, Martha Grimes and John Sanfield (sp?) who wrote 20 or more sequels about the same detective? Are they so unique? Some of their novels are (like "In a Dry Season" by Peter Robinson), but definitely not all of them.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock