Favourite chapter themes in the school books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Favourite chapter themes in the school books

Post by Daisy »

I would normally agree that to read a series in order is best, but strangely enough "Second Form" was the first one I read, followed by Summer Term(the one before) and it wasn't for some while that I managed to get my hands on the first and second in the series. I have since read them in the correct order of course. I'm inclined to agree with Anita - the series gets better as it goes on.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I wasn't disagreeing with Anita that the series doesn't get better, just that I would always recommend reading a series from the first book, Daisy. :|
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I gathered that, and agreed with you. It was just by a strange coincidence I too was introduced to St Clare's with Second Form. Sadly much of my early Blyton reading of most series was haphazard.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:My favourite school story is Cat Among the Pigeons - but that's not by Blyton! I liked The Naughtiest Girl series, although the whole pupil's court (for want of a better term) rather irritated me.
My mother has that book, I haven't read it for years though - time to ask to borrow it again I think. :D

I agree about the school meetings, they never appealed to me really, and I'm not sure how well they would work in real life.

I think No. 4 - the personalities are the best parts of the books. Then I think I'd list Midnight feasts in second place. Not sure about the order of the next three, but No. 2 - sports would definitely be bottom of my list. Thinking back to previous conversations, it's not surprising to find that's bottom of quite a few lists.

I don't actually remember many school plays. I know there were lots of tricks played, and I know that half terms featured quite a bit. The only one I remember of those though is when someone fell into the swimming pool and soaked someone's snooty mother.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Moonraker wrote:I wasn't disagreeing with Anita that the series doesn't get better, just that I would always recommend reading a series from the first book, Daisy. :|
You're probably right, but the second-hand book shop seems to have all the St Clares except the first one. Think I will go back for more later this week.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote:I gathered that, and agreed with you.
Glad to hear it. :P
Society Member
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

The interactions between the girls first, but the tricks second. I think Blyton invented lots of lovely tricks. I always marvel at "Last Term at Malory Towers" when the second formers incorporate June's powerful magnet, the hissing tablets and the pincushion full of hairpins. I think it's brilliant.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

OhIsay wrote:What themes did you like most about the St Clares and Malory Towers books?

1. Tricks
2. School sports matches (lacrosse, tennis, etc.)
3. Dormitory antics and midnight feasts
4. Personalities and personal conflicts
5. School plays
6. Half term antics, parents attendance and sports presentations
Just realised that I never answered the question set by OhIsay. Number 4 simply has to come first for me because that's the essence of the school series - characters finding out about themselves, building on their strengths and working to overcome their weaknesses, sorting out conflicts and learning to rub along with others and make a positive contribution to the school community. Other things that happen (tricks, midnight feasts, etc.) often feed into number 4. My order for all six elements would be the same as Nigel's - 4, 3, 1, 6, 5 and 2.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Full List: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6

Like Anita, I enjoy reading about the girls turning around the negative features of their personalities. So personal issues and conflicts always interest me the most.
Tricks definitely come next: I love discovering the inventive and daring tricks, the girls boldly use against their teachers. I used to even perform some myself!
Sports and school matches are always interesting and eventful chapters. Especially the Lacrosse Matches when a large group of girls get the chance to participate.
I love a Midnight Feast, too! I thought the outdoor ones were the most original and exciting. I always love to read of the one beside the pool in Claudine at St Clares.
We don't hear of many school plays in the books, but the one that features in In the Fifth at Malory Towers is always a very enjoyable read. All the girls working together and offering their talent.
Half term usually left me feeling a bit sad after reading. Having read how much the girls enjoyed their treat, and then it all being over and the sad thought of not being able to see relations until the end of term struck me as rather sad.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Hmm - I think this is my order of favourite chapter themes:

4.Personalities and personal conflicts
1.Tricks
3.Dormitory antics and midnight feasts
6.Half-term antics, parents attendance and sports presentations
5.School plays
2.School sports matches
Katharine wrote: I know that half terms featured quite a bit. The only one I remember of those though is when someone fell into the swimming pool and soaked someone's snooty mother.
Ah yes - that's in Claudine at St. Clares - my favourite book of the series!

I definitely agree that the series gets better as it goes on, and the two final books are really wonderful reads - both a 'feast of fat things' - packed full of action and plenty of character clashes. The last book, Fifth Formers of St. Clares is also rich in comedy.

Definitely overdue for a re-read!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
burlingtonbertram

Spitfire wrote: The last book, Fifth Formers of St. Clares is also rich in comedy.

Definitely overdue for a re-read!

Just read Fifth Formers of St Clare and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of the three I have read so far, it is easily the best. The denouement where all of the strands of the books are pulled together is very funny. I won't go into any spoilers though, in case anyone hasn't read it.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It is indeed a great book. I sense that Enid Blyton had immense fun writing it!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Glad you enjoyed Fifth Formers of St Clares, Bertram. I agree, it is an excellent story and along with The O'Sullivan Twins, it's one of my favourite St.C books. The comedy is ingenious and like you say, how everything comes together in the end is brilliant. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Thanks; there are some more in the charity shop so I will probably get them next week.