George Greenfield

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

George Greenfield

Post by pete9012S »

On another thread Stephen I. mentions:
Enikyoga wrote:In George Greenfield's short biography on Enid Blyton, the latter would from time to time call him for advice pertaining to whether commas had to be or not be included in some of the sentences in her books.
Like Anita,I'm not sure which book Stephen is referring to,but it is possible to read extracts from A Smattering of Monsters online.
Last edited by pete9012S on 21 Oct 2014, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: George Greenfield

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I bought A Smattering of Monsters at an Enid Blyton Day. George Greenfield also wrote a shortish book (called Enid Blyton) which has more detail about his years as Enid's literary agent.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

"No one could have classified her (Enid Blyton) as beautiful or even good-looking,..." quoted and extracted from A Smattering of Monsters.

Obviously, there was one person... :shock:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ty+contest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Kenneth(Enid Blyton's second husband) died in early Autumn 1967(A Smattering of Monster page 131) and Enid the following year. Bertie Meyer than close on ninety, though naturally frail, still had all his wits about him." quoted from A Smattering of Monsters.

According to wikipedia, Bertie Meyer died in November 1967... :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Alexander_Meyer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

I am confused.Could someone please explain to me what was George Greenfield trying to say on page 127(the last half) and page 128?

Was there a "new" title in Adventure series written by Enid at the last stage of her life? :shock:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-yRf ... &q&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last Enid's book was published in 1964 i.e The Hidey Hole. I assume it was written in 1963. But according to Greenfield, during that time, Enid was not mentally alert because of her illness(dementia/Alzheimer). How could she wrote a novel that was still coherent and readable in 1963? :shock:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We've discussed that "Adventure book" reference before and it's thought that George Greenfield is probably talking about The Mystery that Never Was. If I remember correctly, it was rejected by Macmillan before being accepted by Collins.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Anita. :D