Famous Five Annual 2015

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Famous Five Annual 2015

Post by Lucky Star »

I grew up in Ireland so maybe we were a bit behind the times. I vividly remember it being used in the schoolyard and by my grandmother.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't remember specifically hearing that phrase, but when I read the book I didn't even notice it, so I suspect it's the kind of thing I would have heard as a child. Nowadays many children suffer problems caused by a difficult labour, and I suspect the same was true in the past. During the 1950s, I doubt childbirth would have been discussed much, and certainly not in front of children. I can think of a couple of EB stories where the children didn't even know their mother was pregnant until the new baby is shown to them. Under those circumstances, they definitely wouldn't have known why a baby might have some kind of mental impairment. Much easier for adults to say something like the baby had been dropped.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I seem to remember hearing the phrase used is a derogatory fashion. If someone had what today would be classed as learning difficulties (how long before that term is frowned upon?) or were a bit slow on the uptake. Children would say that he/she had probably been dropped, as a baby. I never took much notice of the term, or questioned its validity.
Anita wrote:another disabled character who plays a major part and is portrayed sympathetically is Dummy in The Rubadub Mystery
Not a very sympathetic name though!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't know that I ever heard it in a derogatory way, more a vague explanation. Although I wouldn't condone the use of the phrase today, in some ways I think it was much easier in the past to be able to wave matters like that aside. I sometimes feel I'm in a PC nightmare. Is it acceptable to call a child/adult 'handicapped',
'disabled', having 'special' needs, or 'additional' needs. I've heard children being described as having
'challenging' behaviour, and even the term "so and so is a bit 'special'". Then there are 'behavioural problems', and 'delayed learning', along with all the actual conditions such as Downs, Autism, ADHD etc. etc.

Ideally it's best not to focus on a person's differences, but sometimes it is helpful to be able to describe someone who doesn't fall into the general category of life, but not be worried that I'm going to accidently use the wrong terminology and cause offence.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Poppy wrote:
burlingtonbertram wrote:As a child I liked Julian, now, as an adult, I can't help finding him a bit of a prig. *
I hope my opinions on Enid's characters don't change when I am an adult... :( :shock:

(Not so much about Julian but some of my current favourites like Andy and Barney, Diana and Jack Trent)

Rest easy; I still like all of them so maybe you will to, fingers crossed.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks Bertram. I'm sure I'll always love Enid Blyton books as much as I do now. I hope my general opinions don't differ. A few people here say that reading the books as an adult: they see them in a different light (ie: becoming more aware of racism/ sexism/ etc) I love reading the books because they transport me to a different world and being aware of faults of such would spoil things for me, a bit, I think.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Although I'm a little more critical as an adult, it doesn't spoil things for me at all as I still lose myself in the story. My favourite characters are still the ones which were my favourites as a child - Jack and Lucy-Ann Trent, Tassie, Kiki, Button, Huffin and Puffin, Fatty, Bets, Elizabeth Allen, Julian Holland, Snubby, Mafumu (The Secret Mountain), Jimmy and Lotta, Lucky, Nobby, Pongo, Hurly and Burly (The Rilloby Fair Mystery), Benjy (Willow Farm series), Mr. Pink-Whistle and the Saucepan Man. Some of the "baddies" or unpleasant, difficult characters are favourites too (because they're so interesting to read about) - Mr. Marvel, Rose Longfield, Mr. Goon, Gwendoline Mary Lacey, Arabella Buckley, Mrs. Kent (The Six Bad Boys), Block, Barling, the Sticks, Lou and Tiger Dan, the Lots and Brimming sisters (The Secret of Moon Castle), Curious Connie (The Folk of the Faraway Tree) ... and I'm sure there are others which have momentarily slipped my mind!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I see the 2015 annual is currently for sale at £4 on Amazon.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

talking of the Boysie comment about being dropped on his head as a baby, that was a very common saying when I grew up, and when I read this book (one of the only FFO books I read as a child!) I thought nothing of it at all. These days I interpret it as being typical of the sort of thing Fatty would say. He was very outspoken, and I think Enid's skill with this character is often under-estimated. Enid has Fatty saying quite a few things throughout the series that he has obviously heard other adults saying, and he's repeating them to sound grown-up (in my opinion anyway!) It's the kind of thing Fatty would have heard said, and he is repeating in his know-it-all way.

Regards liking the Famous Five - I was never a fan, except maybe for Smuggler's Top and Mystery Moor (and this was because I had the annual versions of these books in the late 70's) I never read any of the Famous Five books apart from those two, until I was well into my thirties. I also only read three or four Find Outer books - but loved those I read as a child - Burnt Cottage, Missing Necklace, Tally-Ho Cottage and Pantomime Cat, and I still love them now. To me, they are still some of Enid's strongest books. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well I can resist no longer!
I've just ordered the annual from Amazon.I paid £5.29 including delivery which seems reasonable considering the annuals list price don't you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think you've got a good bargain, Pete. I paid £5, so you've only paid 29p more than I did. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Julie.
I thought it was too good a price to resist delivered and lets be honest,what can you buy with 29p these days?
Maybe not even one decent banana! :wink: :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

W H Smith still don't appear to have any, but Waterstones had 3 copies today. I had a quick flick through, and it look very good. Can't wait until Christmas morning. :D
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've stopped looking in the WH Smiths here in town. I will order mine from Amazon for £4. Luckily, my wife wants a book from them so I shall get away with paying the postage.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rather than looking, have you asked anyone? I would have thought all branches would now have these in stock, but they might not have been put out yet. Just a thought.
Society Member