Julian - What do you think of him?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Re: Julian - What do you think of him?

Post by Nick »

Fiona1986 wrote:I love Julian, end of. I've always seen him as the caring big brother rather than a chauvinist.
Unlike Peter the Tyrant!
Society Member
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

Moonraker wrote:Julian shouldn't be seen as a contemporary boy. It has been said a million times, the Five were living in the 40s and 50s; the older sibling was responsilble for the younger ones, especially any sisters. If anything had happened to Anne, Julian would have been for the high jump. He obviously felt responsible for George as well. He must be viewed in the times he was young, not as a boy on the 21st century. It seems ridiculous now, but girls were not allowed to do so many things back then. They were really believed to be the weaker gender. George rebelled, Anne accepted and Julian, responsibly, followed the rules of the time.
Absolutely agree with you, Moonraker. People who think that Julian wasn't nice to the girls must see the era in which the Famous Five books were written! And quite honestly, I think that Julian was a real hero, he was so brave and nice and witty! Three cheers for Julian!
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

he now seems more misogynistic
Isn't that a person who despises women? I can't see Julian is that bad!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I really admire Julian and wish I could be more like him. I fear however that my Snubby like persona would irritate and grate on his more serious,sober and educated personality. :cry:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

I like Julian. He's sharp and witty but kind and caring and a great leader of the group. I also think he's very respectful towards the girls.

Peter is the total opposite and I couldn't stand him!
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

In Caravan when the Five set off alone (with parental permission) for the first time, Julian is told by his father that he is responsible for the others and "in charge".

Thereafter, and in subsequent adventures (especially those away from Kirrin) that is how he behaves...
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I think Julian's character is quite multi-dimensional (especially looking at him from this era). He is the trusted leader of the group and the others respect him, but I think at times he rises above the group (in a bit of a domineering way) and George is the one who suffers from this the most. I think this is mostly because George of course is a tomboy and loves to act and be treat equally to males, but of course in those days the boys were responsible to girls safety and Julian was concious he was the one responsible for George. I think this shows he had a very strong character and tries to please both his company and his parents and Aunt Fanny/Uncle Quentin by looking after the others responsibility and sensibly, yet at the same time, ensuring a fun holiday (a lot to think about for such as young boy as Julian who was trying to enjoy his holiday himself).
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Julian was a responsible,well -mannered boy-- a loving, caring , elder brother. :) :) :)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Can't you be a caring, loving sister too? :wink:
Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

I'm sure Snehalatha could. Not so sure about Julian though. Getting him to wear a dress could prove problematical. :!:

Daver
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Domino wrote: Not so sure about Julian though. Getting him to wear a dress could prove problematical. :!:
I dunno... didn't Anita do so once in a very clever little FF send-up? :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I like Julian. He's wise and caring and a born leader. He may be a bit abrupt at times but generally he's firm but fair. He is obviously very protective of Anne and shows respect to his elders, well maybe not to the Sticks! A role model for boys of his era, really.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Julian was dependable and responsible rather than likeable. He could be relied upon in a crisis and had a mature sense of responsibility to those he was at least nominally in charge of. He could be a bit overbearing but given that he had to look after younger siblings throughout 21 encounters with criminals and other undesirables it is hardly any wonder that he was sometimes strict.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm not a massive fan of the Famous Five, but while Julian can be a little irritatingly grown-uppish at times, I never found him very annoying. He's most definitely not a chauvinist, let alone misogynistic. Most of the time, he behaves quite admirably. I completely agree with all those who've pointed out that by the standards of the 1940s and '50s, he was doing exactly the right thing by being in charge of the younger children, particularly the girls - much though George was a bit hard to handle in that way!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
vatsal agarwal
Favourite book/series: famous five and five find outers
Favourite character: fatty, julian, bets

Post by vatsal agarwal »

i like ju he is my fav. in famous five and is very cool and sometimes bossy
so i think i like ju better than any other famous five chaacter