Yours Retro Magazine: Issue 8

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Yours Retro Magazine: Issue 8

Post by Eddie Muir »

There is a two page Enid Blyton article in the current issue of “Yours Retro” magazine. It’s entitled ‘...And lashings of ginger beer!’ Unfortunately, it is spoilt by giving Enid’s year of birth as 1887.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Yours Retro Magazine: Issue 8

Post by Courtenay »

... More than it's spoilt by repeating the notorious "lashings of ginger beer" misquote?? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Silly little mistakes but I'm sure it's still a good article. I'll keep a look out for it.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

There’s nothing new in the article, but it’s always good to see a piece about Enid Blyton in a magazine, especially if it’s illustrated as the ‘Retro’ one is. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I haven't heard of this magazine. I looked for a copy earlier, but couldn't find one. :(

Edit: I have just ordered the copy online, P&P free. I found a voucher code for 10% off and it said it worked. However, it didn't. :|
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

You should be able to get a copy of ‘Yours Retro’ in WH Smith shops, Nigel. I think it is a quarterly magazine.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks for the heads up, Eddie. I shall look for this magazine on Monday.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie Muir wrote:You should be able to get a copy of ‘Yours Retro’ in WH Smith shops, Nigel. I think it is a quarterly magazine.
Thanks, Eddie. However, I have now ordered it online.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I bought a copy of Yours Retro from WHSmith yesterday. As well as the Enid Blyton piece I enjoyed the articles on the 1963 film Cleopatra, Jackanory, The Bee Gees, Michael Caine, the QE2 and the rise and fall of well-known high street shops.

Thanks for letting us know about the magazine, Eddie. There's nothing new for long-term Blyton fans in the Enid Blyton article but it's always interesting to see how she is presented in publications aimed at the general reader. It is indeed a pity that so many articles feature the phrase "lashings of ginger beer"!

There are a couple of other mistakes besides the birthdate. The date of the Enid drama is given as 2008 when it was actually 2009, while Kirrin Island is called "Kirren Island".

More than once the unnamed writer of the piece gives examples (from the Faraway Tree series) of textual updates. I like the way s/he ends a paragraph on that topic with a thought-provoking question: "Should a story really be changed by someone other than its author, or is it inevitable that changing times bring changing conventions?"

One of the photos included in the article is a favourite of mine. I love the portrait of Enid hanging on the wall - it looks beautifully drawn and very natural. Does the portrait still exist, I wonder? Raymond Sheppard's artwork for the covers of the "Pip" books can be seen too.

"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’m glad you found Yours Retro of interest, Anita. Being a wrinkly, I always enjoy the articles in each issue of the magazine. It’s a pity that the Enid Blyton piece contained several mistakes.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

One of the photos included in the article is a favourite of mine. I love the portrait of Enid hanging on the wall - it looks beautifully drawn and very natural.
Enid certainly was no fashion icon!
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Merged with an existing topic.

There is an interesting two page article about Enid Blyton, in the latest issue of Yours Retro Magazine.

https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/yours- ... gle-issues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://www.facebook.com/yoursretro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yours Retro Magazine, is a very good magazine, recommended for people (who like me), like a bit of Nostalgia.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

This magazine seems interesting. How often is it published and is it £3.99 in WHSmith- or is this an online price, with delivery?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The cover price is £3.99 so that's what I paid in WHSmith.

I don't know how often Yours Retro comes out, but Issue 9 doesn't go on sale until November 30th.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Jack400 wrote:This magazine seems interesting. How often is it published and is it £3.99 in WHSmith- or is this an online price, with delivery?
Yours Retro, is a quarterly Magazine, the Magazine, can be bought in stores, or online, I bought a copy of issue 8, in Budgens Supermarket.
Society Member