Enid Blyton letter found in £1 book in Hay On Wye.

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Enid Blyton letter found in £1 book in Hay On Wye.

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - Its quite plain when you look at the letter more closely. Mind you, its still something I'd like to find in a £1 book! 8)
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 10 Mar 2017, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Re: Woman finds Enid Blyton letter in £1 book

Post by Rob Houghton »

Great to see you Walter! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have only just seen this and I was puzzled when someone from the BBC website approached me this morning and I'm afraid I replied that I knew nothing about it! If I had seen this I would have immediately said that it is just printed and the only handwritten thing was the name 'Mary' and that was not written by Enid Blyton - just look at the 'y'!
I share your view, Tony. The letter looks printed except the name of "Mary".
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am amazed at the amount of publicity this received, you might have thought it was the find of the century! I also cannot understand how sensible people do not not realise that something has simply been printed. This has happened many times in the past with the Coronation Bible which has a printed message from Enid inside it. I even had someone saying that their granny was a friend of Enid Blyton who had specially written this message for her - what utter tosh!

Talking of utter tosh, how can a bookseller say that there were no book signings done in those days! Authors have always done book signings and I have plenty of signed books from the same period that prove the point. As to this increasing the value I can't see too many collectors digging deep to buy a printed form glued into a copy of Silas Marner!!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Good points Tony - and a warm welcome back to Walter too! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:I have only just seen this and I was puzzled when someone from the BBC website approached me this morning and I'm afraid I replied that I knew nothing about it! If I had seen this I would have immediately said that it is just printed and the only handwritten thing was the name 'Mary' and that was not written by Enid Blyton - just look at the 'y'!
I share your view, Tony. The letter looks printed except the name of "Mary".
I disagree that the letter 'looks printed'. Maybe its just my eyes, but in the photograph, its very hard to tell - it's only because we have Tony's expertise here that we know it's printed. From a photo, it looks hand written to me, with another person having added the word 'Mary'.

However, in real life, if the letter was here in front of me, I should imagine its easy to tell the letter is printed. Its very much like the letters to be found in the card games. I have one or two, and its easy to tell they are copies of a hand written letter rather than the real thing.

It makes sense that Enid would do this, as of course she had ten or eleven prize winners every fortnight in her Magazine - she would hardly have written to each winner individually - and its really just a more personal alternative to a typed letter. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

There are two reasons that this letter is printed, in my opinion.

1) When we write using ink pen, normally there would be part of the word where the ink is not too bold especially the stroke. See the letter "M", "a", "r" and "y" in the word Mary. The ink is not consistent(some parts are darker than the other which is normal when using ink pen) throughout each letter. On the other hand, the rest of the written words( apart from Malry) have the consistent colour of bold black. For example the words "of my". The stroke between the word "of" and "my" is usually will have the lighter shade of black because at that point people dont usually emphasize the stroke.

2) From the wrinkle on top of the letter, I deduce the paper must have been damp before. The word "Mary" has a slight discolouration especially in letter "a" but the rest of the words in the damp circle do not show any discolouration that are supposed to be if the words are handwritten using ink pen. Hence my deduction that the letter must be printed. So, I share the same view with Tony.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

So do I. :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

If as Rob says,Enid was sending out large amounts of pre-printed letters like these to all the many prize winners etc,has any other letter like this one ever surfaced over the years?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Don't quote me, lol - I only assumed a letter like this might be sent with every prize-winning book Enid sent out - but I don't know for sure! :wink: Maybe some people threw them away, realising they weren't handwritten letters after all. ;-) I presume they would actually have been sent out by Magazine employees rather than by Enid personally, and that's when the child's name would be added. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Talking of utter tosh, how can a bookseller say that there were no book signings done in those days! Authors have always done book signings and I have plenty of signed books from the same period that prove the point. As to this increasing the value I can't see too many collectors digging deep to buy a printed form glued into a copy of Silas Marner!!
It wouldn't be the first time throughout human kind's history that someone is using alternative facts to get an advantage from it. I wouldn't be surprised should we learn later that the whole thing was arranged. Maybe some more of these individual letters will appear in the near future and people will be paying high prices to get one of them.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Talking of utter tosh, how can a bookseller say that there were no book signings done in those days!
I guess it depends what sort of boos they sell...boos you'd say to a goose, boos you'd utter at a bad theatrical performance, or boos to scare someone? :wink: :twisted:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Was the Silas Marner book the prize?

If so, does this mean that Mary never bothered to open the book, and thus never read it?
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

From the photos, it looks like the letter was pasted into the book (that's what the "damp patch" on it is - the glue), so I assume either Enid (or one of her staff) glued it in or the recipient did.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

At a wild guess I rather doubt that Silas Marner would have been the prize book!! :lol: