Blytonian!!

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Blytonian!!

Post by John Pickup »

I would like to play Goon. I've been practising saying "Clear-Orfffffffff" and "Gah". I refuse to kick small dogs though.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Anyone fancy Red Tower? Acting his character that is!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

BBC re-imagines Enid Blyton for the 1st edition dust-jacket generation.

The cast of Blytonian, an award winning team of writer's re-imagining of Enid Blyton's best-loved characters, has been announced
A 25-part series, written by an award winning team of scriptwriters, will have two hour episodes laced with nail biting stories in a master class guide to Blytons' books for the unedited, original edition loving generation.
It will see Martin Clunes starring as Enid Blyton’s Uncle Quentin, Nigel Rowe as Bill Smugs, and Ben Fogle as Julian Kirrin.
They will join acting talents including Kate Winslet, as Aunt Fanny, in scenes which could see Susie from the Secret Seven Series bumping into Snubby from the Barney 'R' Mysteries.

The series, entitled Blytonian, was largely written by Justin Geste, who told the Telegraph he initially dismissed it as a “really crazy idea” which no-one would dare commission.
It will be a familiar set-up to anyone familiar with Golden Age 1940’s and 1950’s Enid Blyton, with real life sets based on Kirrin, Peterswood, Baronia, The Secret Island and The Faraway Tree.

Filmed entirely in the UK, it saw programme-makers build a complete replica of Fatty’s famous shed where all the Find-Outers meet, alongside Kirrin Cottage, The Secret Seven’s Shed, and The Isle of Gloom.
The programme, among the most ambitious projects ever commissioned by the BBC, started filming on the first of April.

Justin Geste, who last year presented a BBC documentary about Smuggling and Spook Trains, promised his remarkable take on the works of Blyton would attract even those who knew nothing about her, who could learn to love the original unaltered characters outside the pages of the original novels.

Saying he hoped to appeal primarily to the older generation of Enid's fans, the screenwriter said: “What I bring to the project is a magical treat for those who are still under the age of twelve in mind, body and spirit.”
“The way Blyton has been treated on television before is mixed.
"There is a whole generation of people who may know characters like Jack and Prince Paul but wouldn’t necessarily have a clue who the politically incorrect Famous Five are…”

"It will bring a whole raft of new people to Blyton and her characters. You don't need to have read the books or know who the characters are. You can discover them with Blytonion. That makes it incredibly exciting."
He added he was “well-trained in episodic writing” thanks to his years on an old battered typewriter on his loggia , he pointed out that Blyton herself was the master of the cliff-hanger, having released many of her works in weekly magazines.

The original commission of 25 two hour episodes, he said, was the “tip of the iceberg” of material on offer, leaving the possibility of a much longer-running series if it proves popular.
“It's quite a simple concept,” he said. “Taking a selection of Blytons' most iconic characters and free them from the narrative of the book.
"Take them and put them all in one place, and see what happens. Let them interact and see what it's like when Julian meets Fatty and Andy,or Mrs Hilton takes tea with Mrs Stick...”
We have a whole raft of new members who avidly post about Enid Blyton since this post was originally made way back in 2015.
Which character would you like to play?
Can you think of any Blyton fans who post here that would be suited to any particular role??

I think John (Lucky Star) would make a great Andy from The Adventurous Four, or any of the numerous Jack's, which of course is another name for John! :D :wink:

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

pete9012S wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 19:43

I think John (Lucky Star) would make a great Andy from The Adventurous Four, or any of the numerous Jack's, which of course is another name for John! :D :wink:
Hah, thanks Pete. Actually Jack Trent is my favourite Blyton character so I'd quite like to play him. But Jack from teh SDecret series would be a very acceptable alternative. So would Andy come to think of it.

Perhaps you could take on the role of Snubby? :lol: :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

It would be a stretch, but I may just about pull that off John! :D :D :D :wink:

Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I'd be interested to see Fatty and Julian together. I'm not sure who would come out on top on that pairings. I think Fatty is a more charismatic leader, but Julian appears more in charge and perhaps older. I suspect they'd both find themselves giving way to Barney though.
Anne and Lucy Ann would be delighted to discover kindred spirits, and George would be a bit jealous of Kiki, especially if Kiki pulled Timmy's tail.
Chindu

Post by Chindu »

Wow. Martin Clunes! That's brilliant casting!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I hope I did Bill Smugs justice! It was great fun filming the series, and Martin Clunes was a joy to work with.
Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

I hadn't heard of this before - which I suppose is unsurprising when I'm in Australia and also I pay zero attention to television generally. Will it be available to see any time in Australia? Is eventual appearance on YouTube the best I can hope for?
     Yes, I can see Martin Clunes as Uncle Quentin, having in the past seen him perform as Doc Martin. But I did also once see him host a travel programme of some sort, and he wasn't a bit cantankerous there, although still perfectly recognizable as the same actor - just in Doc Martin, where the role calls for it. It must show what a good actor he is, that he can turn that cantankerousness on and off at will, yet portray it so convincingly.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Martin Clunes is a skilled actor, and Pete is a skilled prankster! :wink: I think Pete's idea was inspired by the drama serial Dickensian, which brought a number of Charles Dickens characters together. If Blytonian were to be made, I'd certainly give it a go!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 21:32 Martin Clunes is a skilled actor, and Pete is a skilled prankster! :wink:
Oh, gosh! You mean to say Pete was just making up that whole story? I should have known; but how was I to know from Australia; far weirder things have been completely true. (*BLUSH!*) How can I face you all again? I fell right into that.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Pete is indeed a very skilled prankster, as I was quite convinced he was talking about a real programme and as Michael says "far weirder things have been completely true"!!!!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, the general idea isn't too far-fetched.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Ooops - Apologies Michael & Boodi! :D

I thought this line which I inserted quite early on would give me away quite quickly:
The series, entitled Blytonian, was largely written by Justin Geste, who told the Telegraph he initially dismissed it as a “really crazy idea” which no-one would dare commission...
Anita Bensoussane wrote:

In May 1956 Enid Blyton completed a full-length adult play (she considered several titles but settled on The Summer Storm) and sent it to a number of theatrical managers under the nom-de-plume Justin Geste, but that too was rejected.
Regards

Pete

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If it wasn't for the fact that I was named as one of the actors, I would have been taken in, too.
Society Member