An Outing to Beckenham on June 15th

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

An Outing to Beckenham on June 15th

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Although this was discussed a while back in another thread (EB Day 2013?), I thought it really needed its own thread as one or two people have recently enquired about it. I was sent a provisional itinerary a while back and I am now posting it here:-

Arrive at Clock House Station (approx. 11.00)
Circular walk to and and around Chaffinch Road to see Enid's first home.
Return to the Station to collect any later arrivals
Circular walk around Enid's two homes in Clock House Road, then past Tresco her kindergarten/infant school, then crossing the Chaffinch River and into Elm Road, passing both her 4th home and the Baptist Church.
After a brief peep inside the Church if it is open, cross Beckenham Road to await a 227 bus to the Oakhill District.
After lunch in the pub, walk up Oakwood Avenue past the Attenborough's house which was her last home as a single woman.
Then proceed to 'Elfin Cottage' with possibly a stop for tea.
After tea, walk down Shortlands Road to Shortlands station where the 227 bus stops on its way back to Beckenham.
Alight at the Clock House Station stop for train back to London.

Hopefully by June, Enid's first home in Chaffinch road will have an Enid Blyton Society plaque on it:-

For those who have read the excellent article by David Chambers in Journal 50, there will be a chance to see Enid's bedroom window where she sat with her feet on the sloping roof as she looked across at Cuckoo Wood.

It will obviously be helpful from the point of view of booking a pub for lunch if we have some rough idea of the number of people who might be coming and hopefully we will be able to have a list in much the same way as we did for the Old Thatch visit in 2011. I will add the names of some who don't use the forums who have already expressed an interest when I contacted them by phone.
Katharine

Re: An Outing to Beckenham on June 15th

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for this information Tony. I'd love to come, but at this point in time don't know whether I'll be able to or not, especially as I also want go to the event in Beaconsfield which is only a couple of weeks later.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for the information and great photo, Tony. We're really looking forward to the outing to Beckenham, and so please put Chick and me down on the list of those wanting a pub lunch. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Thank you for the itinary, Tony. Izzy and I fully intend to join the merry Forumites on this celebration of Enid's formulative years. Roll on June!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Katharine wrote:Thanks for this information Tony. I'd love to come, but at this point in time don't know whether I'll be able to or not, especially as I also want go to the event in Beaconsfield which is only a couple of weeks later.
I appreciate that the two events are rather close together, Katharine, and I am sure that there are some who would prefer to go and see Noddy striding around Bekonscot, as the event there is specifically a Noddy Day. I'm afraid that I will be giving that one a miss as I will be at Drury Lane on that day watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm planning to come to Beckenham on 15th June. It'll be great to see people there!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I guess I had better start a list. It is only provisional and people can remove their names at any stage if something more tasty turns up on that date!

Eddie & Chick
Francis & Izzy
Anita
Tony
Cliff Watkins
John Lester (2)
Angela Canning
David Cook
Viv & Rosie
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The plaque looks great. How lovely. I won't know until a bit nearer the time, and the new summer time table for trains too! :?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Alas I am working that day and my request for leave was refused. I shall try to swap the shift nearer the time but will have to say no for now. I should be able to get to the Beaconsfield one though. And is anyone going to the event in London on March 23rd?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Sarah Lawrence was down here a week ago and I asked her about the Book Fair on March 23rd. She said that it will be a very small display, as she is coming down by train (they drove down to Salisbury) and won't be able to bring much with her and what she does bring will be general material and not specifically aimed at Enid Blyton.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

As yet I don't know if I can come for either of these events, if I can though it will definitely only be for one of them. I can't afford the train fares for two trips in one month! Nor can I ask for two weeks off work.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

You'll have to let me know which one you decide on, Fiona, as I assume you'll be gracing me with your presence? ;)

As for me, as long as I can let work know I should be fine not to work that date. Hopefully I'll be able to make Beckenham and Beaconsfield.
Last edited by Pippa-Stef on 15 Mar 2013, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Pippa-Stef wrote:You'll have to let me know which one you decide on, Fiona, as I assume you'll be gracing me with your presence? ;)
Since when do I have to ask before I invite myself to yours? ;)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Provisionally it's a yes for me and my mother. Have already looked at trains, can get there in about 2 and a half hours, so not too early a start. Mum has asked me to check out just how much walking is involved as she doesn't think she can cope with too much - this coming from the woman who virtually sprinted back to the train station at Bourne End while I was almost on my knees tagging along behind!

Need to check out about eating at the pub though, is there a specific one in mind?
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:You'll have to let me know which one you decide on, Fiona, as I assume you'll be gracing me with your presence? ;)
Since when do I have to ask before I invite myself to yours? ;)
Easy, since I moved back home! 8)
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/