Article in the Daily Mail - Anthony Mealing and Mary Mouse

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Article in the Daily Mail - Anthony Mealing and Mary Mouse

Post by Kate Mary »

Here we go again, according to an opinion expressed in this article Enid was 'anti-Semitic and very racist' and her work was 'offensive'. Well I've never been offended by Enid's work and I don't consider myself racist, but I do recognize that they were written in a different era and that times change.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tival.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know what story is being referred to about black children stealing money? I have not read it and I have read a good many of the short stories over the years. And I wonder if one of the two documentaries was the drama starring Helena Bonham-Carter?

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Article on Enid in the Daily Mail

Post by Katharine »

OK, I give in, let's ban Enid Blyton for writing about attitudes that were acceptable at the time she was writing, and for not 'being nice'. Let's also ban Dickens, at the age of 45 he started an affair with an 18 year old, not only was she presumably below the age of consent but he was married with umpteen children.

Let's also tear down the statue of Eric Morecambe - last night I watch a programme from 1962 where he covered his face in boot polish so he could pretend to be 'G.H. Elliott - The Chocolate Coloured Coon'.

My apologies for used that particular 'C' word, but that's what a music hall performer called himself.

Then there's Agatha Christie who wrote 'Ten Little N.......', ban any tributes to her too. I'm sure the list could go on and on.

I'd be willing to bet that Shakespeare wrote about racial stereotypes too.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I find it incredible that some Beaconsfield residents (a small minority, surely) are objecting to a plaque commemorating Enid Blyton's links with the area.
Kate Mary wrote:Does anyone know what story is being referred to about black children stealing money? I have not read it and I have read a good many of the short stories over the years.
I haven't read such a story either, Kate Mary! And the vast majority of thieves in the books are white - just look at the various school stories, the tales of Mr. Pink-Whistle, The Six Bad Boys, the Six Cousins books and many titles in the mystery/adventure series. I don't recall any anti-Semitism either.

It's heartening to see (beneath the article) so many sensible comments from readers. As "Hooray Henry" points out, if a plaque in memory of Enid Blyton is considered unacceptable "They'd better remove most of the blue plaques in the country because I bet most people from a different era said and wrote things that we deem inappropriate today."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It is also in today's Daily Telegraph:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... -work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The paper headline is different to the online headline.

Racist and Sexist Blyton does not deserve a festival, say opponents

Looks like one man, and he is describing a story that I don't know, hopefully Anita will be able to tell us which one it is - always assuming that it is a story and not an invention!

Anita has got in before I have posted!!
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Post by Loony the Dog »

Kate Mary wrote:Does anyone know what story is being referred to about black children stealing money? I have not read it and I have read a good many of the short stories over the years.
Could it be The River of Adventure? I'm nearly sure there was thieving children but nobody said they were black and it certainly wasn't racist.
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It amazes me how similar the articles are in different newspapers.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

This is bonkers.

Given that a whole class were given this book there must be someone who still has a copy and lots of people who can remember the story. It seems to be one that has passed the EBSoc by...

I think this guy needs to be challenged to show some evidence or retract this slander!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Post by Loony the Dog »

Maybe the comments below the article should be read instead of the article itself! :wink:
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I can only recall three black characters with whom the main protagonists have much interaction - Mafumu and his uncle (The Secret Mountain), Sam (The Mountain of Adventure) and Boobanti (Fatty's schoolfriend in The Mystery of the Strange Bundle). With the exception of Mafumu's uncle, who is cruel (though I can't recall whether he is also dishonest), these characters are presented as likeable and honest.

Edit: Just remembered Jo-Jo in The Island of Adventure, who is definitely not honest, though I don't remember anything about him stealing money from the children or their guardians - and anyway he's an adult character.

Anthony Mealing, quoted in the article, states: "The moral of one of the stories is: Don’t leave any money around if there are any black children about as they will steal it." I'm absolutely certain that Enid Blyton would never write a story with that as the moral!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I wonder if Mr. Mealing's research has shown him all the charity work that Enid did? Perhaps people might be surprised to hear about that. I'd also like to know what makes a 'nice lady'? If someone wanted to erect a memorial to anyone who was perfect, I suspect there would be very few candidates, most people have their flaws.

On the racist topic, I can accept that Mr. Golly was replaced as the owner of the garage, as some people consider the doll an icon of ridicule against black people. Surely however replacing him with Mr. Sparks who is white is also racist? Why couldn't the garage owner be a black figure, it puts the ethnic balance in Toy Town out of balance!

I've just notice - Mr. Mealing apparently lives in High Wycombe. I know that's not far from Beaconsfield, but he's not actually a resident there. Surely the plaque is a matter for the Beaconsfield townsfolk to decide, or at least their appointed council leaders?
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/10 ... ival_plan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it seems to be Mary Mouse and her Bicycle - does anyone know it?

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... er+Bicycle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
Last edited by Viv of Ginger Pop on 15 Feb 2013, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Katharine wrote:On the racist topic, I can accept that Mr. Golly was replaced as the owner of the garage, as some people consider the doll an icon of ridicule against black people. Surely however replacing him with Mr. Sparks who is white is also racist?
My daughter, son and I were talking about golliwogs in the Noddy books just the other day. We thought it ironic that people who love gollies and regard them as jolly-looking toys (as Enid Blyton did) are said to be racist, while those who view gollies as ugly caricatures of black people, and support the notion of replacing black dolls with white dolls or goblins or monkeys, are not considered racist!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I have a suggestion. Any one who makes sweeping statements about Enid's racism, sexism etc. should be made to sit down and read every single story that she ever wrote. As they did so they would have to keep a careful note of what percentage of villains were foreign, what percentage of gollies are naughty and make a note of all the strong female characters.

They must also be made to read Barbara Stoney's biography, Imogen and Gillian's books about their mother and George Greenfield's book about Enid before they decided whether she was 'nice' or not.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

This sort of thing really does annoy me. Especially as Enid's books were written many years ago when 'society' had different views etc.

It's plain that this one man who is campaigning against the festival has blinkings on, and cant see the whole true picture. I've heard it said many a time that Enid taught manners and respect in her books, and I think Blyton should be compulsory reading in schools!!

Let's hope that this festival does go ahead and Enid gets her well deserved plaque. As Katharine has already pointed out. What about these other authors! Why don't they get hounded instead of just leave Blyton alone. I'm also wondering how Enid's family are feeling hearing all this?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Well done to Kari Dorme, the former librarian, for her sensible comments. As to this Mr Mealing; what an idiot. A self righteous do-gooder with nothing else to do who thinks that he can inflict his "principles" upon everyone else. I cannot stand such people.

If this event does go ahead we should all make a genuine effort to go along and support it just to show this idiot that he is thoroughly outnumbered.
Last edited by Lucky Star on 15 Feb 2013, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member