Enid - recognition during her life?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Moonraker

Re: Enid - recognition during her life?

Post by Moonraker »

Aurélien wrote:
Though I'm becoming known on these forums for my (slightly) whacky, even weird, sense of humour, :) people shouldn't assume that all my posts are intended as such light-hearted froth.
Hmm; now there's food for thought... :shock:
Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

But of course, me old chum. *Pictures Moonraker laboriously and warily trolling through half of poor old Aurélien's earlier posts*

Of course, basically, I'm a sincere, good-hearted, (okay mischievious) sort of chap, or nerd, or whatever.... :lol:

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I must say I'm inclined to agree with Moonraker that we should tread carefully (if we dare to tread at all) on the subject of the alleged rift between the two sisters. Nobody can know the reasons or feelings which gave rise to the apparently differing opinions which Gillian and Imogen's books revealed. They were both daughters of a woman who gave many thousands of children not only hours of pleasure in reading her books but a standard of behaviour which was of lasting influence on the lives of many of them. Both Gillian and Imogen probably suffered because of their mother's genius (remember what Enid said of Uncle Quentin?) and I for one would like to say a big thank you for the sacrifices they made, albeit involuntary ones, for the sake of all of us who have been so enriched because Enid lived and wrote.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I would imagine that whatever animosities or differences may have existed between Gillian and Imogen ended when Gillian died. It is an interesting subject for Blyton fans but I believe we must temper our curiosity with consideration for the family's privacy. Ultimately there is now only one person living who can answer the questions and that is Imogen. I doubt she really wants to talk about it. Whatever she may have written in her book (unfortunately I haven't read it), her annual attendance at the EBS Day in Twyford and her attendance at the recent film show in London show that she is very supportive of her mothers legacy and she is always, in my experience, willing to talk to her mothers fans.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Well put, Daisy. To some degree EB's daughters paid for our enjoyment of her books.

We should also remember that in Enid's day - even more than today - women who worked to support their households did not get the domestic-cum-child-raising back-up from their husbands that they needed. And they, rather than hubby, got the blame for any problems.

Also, we are dealing with childhood perceptions here, and the perceptions of a younger child at that. Even today, I believe, the children of a woman writer working from home would not easily accept that their mother couldn't be "there for them" every second of the day. Heck, I've read complaints from professional writers that even the most intelligent of their adult friends can't see why they shouldn't be able to 'drop in on them' at any time. As any housewife knows all too well, working in/from the home has never been accorded equal status with 'going out to work'.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :)
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I also find this topic a little uncomfortable, and though i know that no harm is meant by anyone, i would be mortified if Imogen or Sophie should stumble across this thread while visiting the site. :oops:

Wayne. :|
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

As I've just said on another thread, Imogen has published a book about her experiences, and they are therefore in the public domain and open for discussion, but we should hopefully not be judgemental or cause any offense to Imogen or any of her relatives.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

Indeed, Imogen herself threw the subject open for discussion by publishing her book, as well as making some of the comments that she has in interviews over the years. No one is suggesting that we ask her about such personal matters - that really would be crossing the line - which is why we can only speculate. Besides, she seems like a very straight-talking kind of woman, who believes in 'telling it like it is'.

Interesting to learn that the family didn't own a camera - particularly as they had a television set, at a time when most people didn't have them. There are some photographs in 'A Childhood at Green Hedges' that don't look like professional shots - for instance, the picture of the children with one of their nannies and the one of Imogen in Swanage. I'm sure I've also seen somewhere an informal-looking, unposed shot of Enid leaving her house for a round of golf. Perhaps they sometimes borrowed a camera from friends, or asked friends to take a picture for them and then give them a copy.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yes, I just assumed a family without a camera would still have more candid shots- although perhaps in those days people such as the Blytons were happy to have a mental picture and didn't feel so much need to capture moments or faces on film.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member