Barbara Stoney's biography

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Barbara Stoney's biography

Post by sixret »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Paul Austin wrote:Enid did bad things and it's not fair to whitewash that when both Imogen and Hanly attested to it in interviews and books.
:lol: I honestly think that's the last thing anyone could accuse us of on this website! It's a website devoted to Enid Blyton so we look at all aspects of her life and work, negative as well as positive. We always have done, and I don't think that's about to change. You only have to look through past posts to see that.

Having said that, the thing that made us all Enid Blyton fans in the first place was her work, not her life. Her books have entertained, educated and inspired us - and many others around the world. And they continue to do so. Therefore it's natural for us to discuss her stories more than her life, and many comments on those will be positive. We also note inconsistencies and discuss how attitudes towards certain things have changed since the books were written, but this is done in a spirit of affection for books which are much loved.

It's true that Enid Blyton treated some people in a questionable manner but we don't know the whole story and we never will. It's also true that everyone has sometimes done unkind things and made mistakes - it's just that Enid Blyton was a well-known figure so these things have been made public through biographies. I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth, as nothing I've learnt about Enid Blyton has diminished the wonder of the stories. She put the very best of herself into her books and through them she continues to bring great joy to people.

Fair, very fair opinion. I share your view on this. I agree 1000% from the first word until the last fullstop. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

I've just read information on Alzheimer and dementia, diseases for older people. The person who has dementia or Alzheimer remembers their earlier memories especially his/her childhood, his mother and his father until he/she dies. The reason for this is unclear although guilty feeling is attributed. Either you get the disease or you don't.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

A very good posting, Anita. Straight and to the point, without using any offensive words. And a posting I thoroughly agree with. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Paul Austin wrote:Enid did bad things and it's not fair to whitewash that when both Imogen and Hanly attested to it in interviews and books.
:lol: I honestly think that's the last thing anyone could accuse us of on this website! It's a website devoted to Enid Blyton so we look at all aspects of her life and work, negative as well as positive. We always have done, and I don't think that's about to change. You only have to look through past posts to see that.

Having said that, the thing that made us all Enid Blyton fans in the first place was her work, not her life. Her books have entertained, educated and inspired us - and many others around the world. And they continue to do so. Therefore it's natural for us to discuss her stories more than her life, and many comments on those will be positive. We also note inconsistencies and discuss how attitudes towards certain things have changed since the books were written, but this is done in a spirit of affection for books which are much loved.

It's true that Enid Blyton treated some people in a questionable manner but we don't know the whole story and we never will. It's also true that everyone has sometimes done unkind things and made mistakes - it's just that Enid Blyton was a well-known figure so these things have been made public through biographies. I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth, as nothing I've learnt about Enid Blyton has diminished the wonder of the stories. She put the very best of herself into her books and through them she continues to bring great joy to people.
I thoroughly agree too, Anita. I couldn't think of anything better to add to what you've said here.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Cheers Sixret, Julie and Courtenay. I admire the way Barbara Stoney wrote about these matters in a reasonable, respectful manner - and when we're discussing them I think it helps to take a leaf out of her book (obviously I don't mean literally rip a page out of Barbara's Biography! :) )
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Like Daisy, I also think that Paul's last statement is fair too. :D

John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I'm on here because of Enid's work. I've had countless hours of pleasure from reading her books for 55 years and I'm sure I'll have plenty more. I couldn't possibly judge her as I never met her. If anyone asks me what I think of her, my reply is this; she is the greatest author of books for children of all time.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

John - I think you hit the nail on the head. No matter what we read about Enid as a person, we can take it and process it however we like, but when you boil it down she wrote brilliant involving stories that can whisk us away to different lands, fantasy places, and on exciting adventures. She has always ranked as my number one favourite children's author, regardless of what happened in her life. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Anita Bensussane's is a most down-to -earth comment. Enid Blyton still gives so much inspiration and joy to those who love reading--- her personal life is her own--- and we can never be judgemental about anyone.Who in this world is perfect--- we have all done so many wrongs--- but no one knows about them as we are not public figures like Enid Blyton.I love Enid Blyton for all that she was.--- and she continues to inspire me. :) :) :) :) :) :)