Enid's technique

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Re: Enid's technique

Post by Belly »

Robert Houghton wrote:have you ever tried looking at census returns for the house? These can tell you quite a lot - who worked and lived there etc. Sometimes they can give quite an insight into a building :D
Thanks. I've looked at the 1901 census as per the house which wasn't that illuminating. I shall have to look at earlier ones. Not sure if they are available free on line or if you have to subscribe to a site?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

FreeCEN is a site that's free to use, as the name suggests, but not every entry is on there. Most seem to be, though. You can look at census's from 1851 - 1891 free of charge. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thanks! Be good to try to get clues as to whom the statues depict if nothing else!
rogoz

Post by rogoz »

The EB story by Bob Mullins quotes the following satire by Joyce Grenfell in 1954 on this topic:

" Hullo, boys and girls. I was so pleased when you asked me to come along and tell you how I write my books for children. Well, of course, the answer is - I don't. No, my books write themselves for me...
Well as you know, children, I write lots and lots of books for you and this is how I set about it. First of all I go upstairs to my Hidey Hole - well, this is really just a great big upstairs workroom but I like to call it my Hidey Hole. I pin a notice on the door and it says: 'Gone to Make Believe Land.' This is just my way of saying: 'Please don't come and bother me because a book is writing itself for me and we mustn't disturb it, must we?'
Then I put a clean white sheet of paper in my typewriter and I sit down in front of it and I close my eyes. And what do I see? I see a rambling old house in Cornwall. And I hear seagulls - and I see children - one -two - three children scrambling up the cliffs because they are very nearly late for tea, and their names are Jennifer-Ann, and Robin-John, and the little one is called Midge - because he is the littlest one. (Oh yes, he has a proper name. It's Anthony Timothy Jeremy Michael and he doesn't like porridge - but, we won't tell anyone, will we?) "
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I don't think I can add anything to what has already been said, and discussed, but I will say this, that Enid's writing flows wonderfully, there's never an occastion missed where she doesn't use something to liven up that "Moment in time".

Most of my inspiration comes from Enid's writing. I'm a bit un creative in a way, I see other ideas and think "How could I work this from a different angle?" Some of my creations come from my life, everyday things, little trival things that occur without me really noticing.

I suppose it's difficult to really see what sort of talent she had? It's the whole Psycological point of view I suppose; Did she write because she was Talented Or Did she have to work at it?

You could link it in with escapism; it was her way of blocking out the things that were wrong in her life, like her father leaving, and parts of her Married life with Hugh.
Or an outlet?

I know that my writing brings me joy, and I would like to share it with the world, but on the other hand if I don't then it's not really a problem. Some of it, I've never shown to anyone, some I share publicly

Sorry I've rambled long enough! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Pippa-Stef wrote: I know that my writing brings me joy, and I would like to share it with the world, but on the other hand if I don't then it's not really a problem. Some of it, I've never shown to anyone, some I share publicly
If you'd really like to share some of your writing why not post some on here? Or try writing an article for the journal?

Many authors seem to use, or claim to use this "cinema screen" method. I read an interview with Julia Donaldsen once and she said much the same thing.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Lucky Star wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote: I know that my writing brings me joy, and I would like to share it with the world, but on the other hand if I don't then it's not really a problem. Some of it, I've never shown to anyone, some I share publicly
If you'd really like to share some of your writing why not post some on here? Or try writing an article for the journal?
I'll have a bit of a think about that! :D

I do have a poem I don't mind sharing though, thats if people want to see it. I don't like "Shoving" things into people's faces! :)
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Pippa-Stef wrote:
I do have a poem I don't mind sharing though, thats if people want to see it. I don't like "Shoving" things into people's faces! :)

Here I am. :)
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote: I do have a poem I don't mind sharing though, thats if people want to see it. I don't like "Shoving" things into people's faces! :)
Shove away, old thing; shove away! :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote: Many authors seem to use, or claim to use this "cinema screen" method. I read an interview with Julia Donaldsen once and she said much the same thing.
This is the way I tend to write when doing anything creative. To me it's the only way to imagine things. Characters and situations just spring up in my mind, rather like a cinema screen, and as you write you can see them 'acting out' the scenes you write: where things are positioned, the colours and settings etc. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've split this thread from the point at which Pippa-Stef posted her poem, as people have expressed an interest in posting/reading more poems written by Forumites. The new thread for people's own poems is called "Poetry Corner" and is to be found in General Natter:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... &sk=t&sd=a" target="_blank

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Good idea! Thanks Anita.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Sounds interesting. Many thanks Anita.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

It just occured to me if Enid ever edited what she wrote or cast a critical eye over the end product after her 'cinema screen' had closed down?

I would think that you could write something poor or overblown at times if you used this method? To my mind all she wrote was consistently good and vivid with some poorer work at the end of her life when her mind was failing. Surely you'd expect more than a few books that were very weak if you were using a subconcious method to write?

It probably accounts for the repetition of the various themes within the books, secret passages, caves, treasure etc.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Belly wrote:It just occured to me if Enid ever edited what she wrote or cast a critical eye over the end product after her 'cinema screen' had closed down?

I would think that you could write something poor or overblown at times if you used this method? To my mind all she wrote was consistently good and vivid with some poorer work at the end of her life when her mind was failing. Surely you'd expect more than a few books that were very weak if you were using a subconcious method to write?

It probably accounts for the repetition of the various themes within the books, secret passages, caves, treasure etc.
I'd always thought Enid wrote her stories on the type-writer and didnt alter them at all between initial typing and publication, but then, seeing the manuscripts on display at the Enid Blyton Day this year I realised she actually did make quite big changes to what she had typed: the manuscripts were littered with her hand-written add-ins and edits. So it appears she did go back through what she had typed and made changes where she thought it appropriate. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member