Enid in Ipswich.

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Rilloby

Enid in Ipswich.

Post by Rilloby »

I read somewhere that when Enid trained to be a teacher at Ipswich High School she lived in Christchurch Street Ipswich.

Most of the houses in Christchurch Strreet seem to have survived intact, although many have been converted to flats. Does anyone know what number house Enid lived in? Is there a plaque on the wall? If not there ought to be.

Rilloby.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Enid in Ipswich.

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am not sure whether Enid can be said to have 'lived' in Christchurch Street, she was in lodgings there with a kindergarten teacher at Ipswich High School, Ida Hunt. Enid knew the Hunt family as she had stayed with them at Seckford Hall.

I can't provide a number for you I'm afraid, but I am absolutely certain that the house wouldn't have a blue plaque on it as it did not belong to Enid, who was only a lodger.

I am assuming that you haven't already read this, Rilloby, so I am adding to it. I have just spoken to Enid's Biographer, Barbara Stoney, and she trawled through her original notes and came up with the address 73 Christchurch Street.
Rilloby

Post by Rilloby »

Thanks Tony and Barbara for going to the trouble of checking this out.

I'll have a look at 73 Christchurch Street next time I'm passing.

Rilloby
Rilloby

Post by Rilloby »

No. 73 Christchurch Street, Ipswich gets a mention and a picture here:-

http://www.ipswich.gov.uk/downloads/chr ... _st_1_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course it's possible that some renumbering of houses has taken place since Enid was in Ipswich.

Ipswich High School for Girls was a couple of hundred yards away in Constable Road, but has since moved to a new site.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Rilloby. It's good to see the picture of number 73. It looks as if it's a pub/restaurant now. I wonder if the owners are aware that Enid Blyton once lodged there?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I think you may be looking at the wrong picture for number 73, Anita. You need to scroll down to page 8 to see a photo of the house.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

You're right, Eddie, I was looking at the wrong house before! I've now found number 73, on the corner at the end of a row of terraces.

Anita

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I wonder what Enid would make of this news?

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/heart ... -1-5192084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I can only imagine that Enid would have welcomed the news. A character in The Naughtiest Girl in the School remarks that going to Whyteleafe (a co-educational school) is like joining a big family of sisters and brothers, and Enid's own little "experimental school" at Southernhay also took boys and girls. The same goes for Miss Brown's school in Enid Blyton's Book of the Year. Although she sent her own daughters to girls' schools, I feel that Enid Blyton had a great interest in co-education.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks for sharing the article, Katherine, and interesting thoughts from Anita. I'm just thinking, though, how Enid also wrote two very popular series set in all-girls' schools — St Clare's and Malory Towers, of course — so I guess she either saw value in single-sex education as well or perhaps felt under pressure to write more school stories in that genre!

I can understand the negative reactions of some parents to the news about Ipswich High School going co-ed. I went to an all-girls' school for my last three years of high school and it was by far the best school I ever attended. Mind you, that was probably because it was a really good school all round, not just because there were no boys! :lol: :wink: It certainly doesn't mean single-sex education will be best for all children or that co-eds don't have significant arguments in their favour too. It really depends on the school and indeed on the individual child, I think.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the link, Katharine. I'm inclined to agree with Anita. I think Enid would have welcomed the news.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Courtenay wrote:Thanks for sharing the article, Katherine, and interesting thoughts from Anita. I'm just thinking, though, how Enid also wrote two very popular series set in all-girls' schools — St Clare's and Malory Towers, of course — so I guess she either saw value in single-sex education as well or perhaps felt under pressure to write more school stories in that genre!
According to Barbara Stoney, it was Alan White of Methuen who suggested (after the success of The Naughtiest Girl in the School) that Enid Blyton write "girls' school stories with a more conventional background." It's clear from the energy and sparkle of the St. Clare's and Malory Towers series that Enid Blyton thoroughly enjoyed writing them but I expect she took a keen interest in developments in education (it's believed that A.S Neill's experimental Summerhill School was one of the inspirations for Whyteleafe) and would have been interested in the notion of mixed-sex schools providing a more natural environment for learning and interacting.

Society Member