Barbara Stoney and her Biography of Enid Blyton

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Barbara Stoney and her Biography of Enid Blyton

Post by Tony Summerfield »

No, you are not the only one, Ming. I often wonder how easily these things could be turned into fact and we only have to look at the statement 'lashings of ginger beer' to realise this. I recently had an email from a researcher for the programme QI which is hosted by Stephen Fry and she was asking me this very question - did Enid actually ever write this - and the answer is - no!!
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Enikyoga wrote:It was not until several years after Enid Blyton's death that Enid Blyton's daughter, the late Gillian Baverstock, sought her out to publish Enid Blyton's biography.
Stephen I.

This is completely wrong, Stephen. It was Barbara Stoney who approached Gillian about writing a biography, not the other way round.
Thanks for correcting me Tony. I have just re-read the foreword to Barbara Stoney's Enid Blyton: The Biography. It seems unlike most other people, because of her fame, many prospective biographers were vying to publish Enid Blyton's biography rather than the other way around. Fortunately, I never discuss the origins of Barbara Stoney's book in my The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage
Stephen I.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Regarding Enid Blyton - the Biography, I have two editions, both paperback. I bought the latest edition because of the extra photos, updated bibliography and additional commentary by Barbara Stoney, but I've only ever read it once because the small type is off-putting and I prefer to read and refer to the older edition as the bigger type makes it a more relaxing read.
Until recently, I too had two editions of Barbara Stoney's biography on Enid Blyton. I had the large print edition of 1988 (which was a reprint of her first edition of 1974) one of which copies I had purchased and sent overseas as I have alread stated elsewhere, though luckily until recently, our local library had the same copy but it has since been removed. I too purchased Barbara Stoney's last edition of 2006. I too agree that the edition's print was too small. I presume it must have been New Roman of around 8 or 9. The standard New Roman is 12 (which is used by this web or forum for that matter). I used 10 for The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage in order for the book to be more affordable and thus, cheaper. If I had used 12, the book would have been more expensive according to the publisher's pricing guidelines. Most large prints are between 14 and 16. I also believe that Barbara Stoney's last edition was made into small print because it contained more information and if, for instance, 12 was used, it may have made the book more expensive. I often use the edition for its updated bibliography.
Stephen I.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You are quite right, Stephen, the print is far too small and Barbara was very upset by it. It was simply a matter of the publishers saving on cost by using fewer pages. I am glad you like the Bibliography as I did that at Barbara's request.

I ought to add that they also left out a huge chunk of text from the new chapter which upset Barbara even more! They promised to put it right in the next edition - but there never was one. I guess that I am now the only person who has the text as intended as I proofed it for Barbara and still have my copy.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Barbara Stoney

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I'm almost at the end of this book now, having been reading it slowly and digesting every word.

I was interested to read that apart from Five on a Treasure Island, and Five Have a Mystery to Solve, another two books had been made into films, Five Go Adventuring Again and Five Get into Trouble. The books says a Danish company filmed these. Has anyone seen these two films at all or know anything about them?
8)
Yes, I was lucky and watched "Fuenf Freunde in der Tinte"(the German title of "De 5 i fedtefadet") in November 1970 at the movie theater in Braunschweig, Germany.
Here is more information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072992/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Five get into Trouble" was the English title.

From what I remember, it was a Danish production and directed by Katrine Hedman. I always was writing a movie journal, a book journal (on every book I ever read) and a regular diary, so I was able to look how many stars I gave it way back then: only 2 stars, so it was not nearly as well-done as "Five on a Treasure Island" (my gold standard :)).

Here is more on Blyton movies and TV series: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0090067/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And about "Five go adventuring again"/Five and the Spies which I had no chance to catch at the movie theater:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071505/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was only released in Scandinavian countries. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071505/releaseinfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However it was a Canadian-British co-production, so it might be worth checking out amazon.ca.

Good luck!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote: At least Suffolk does produce some good beer - Adnams of Southwold brew exceptionally great beers, and Greene King of Bury St Edmunds also have a good range.
I agree with you, Nigel, Adnams makes very good beer! I was in Southwold, Walberswick, Blythburg etc in 1995 for a week, I love East Anglia!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm currently re-reading this excellent book.
The passage below made me chuckle. Yet it also showed how serious,protective and devoted Enid was towards innocent creatures and nature even at an early age.
(melted chicks excluded of course!)
Hanly has good cause to remember that fiery rage, for he was the recipient of it himself on many occasions, the most memorable being the time when, in her opinion, he had shown ‘extreme cruelty’ with an airgun. He had been given the gun for his fourteenth birthday and, bent on trying it out, had crept into the small downstairs lavatory, locked himself in, thrown bread on to the lawn and waited for the small London sparrows and starlings to appear. When they did, he took aim and fired, but his shot was hopelessly off target. He had no opportunity, however, of trying again for a window directly overhead was flung open and Enid, her voice shaking with rage, yelled out, ‘You wretched boy, I’ll tear you limb from limb.’ Hanly did not wait to hear more, for he knew that by then his sister was on her way down and she was a power to be reckoned with when roused. He was out through the window in an instant and ran round into the kitchen, in time to catch a glimpse of her breaking down the lavatory door with her bare fists.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I have a copy of Barbara Stoney's Biography, but I have never read it. I have attempted to read it a couple of times, but found it quite difficult to read. I might give it another try sometime, though - I would love to learn more about Enid Blyton and her work. :D

That is an excellent little extract, thanks Pete!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Poppy wrote:I have a copy of Barbara Stoney's Biography, but I have never read it. I have attempted to read it a couple of times, but found it quite difficult to read. I might give it another try sometime, though - I would love to learn more about Enid Blyton and her work. :D
I leaved through it several times (I like that cartoon with the little boy in the library and his mom says to a friend "And these are all his Blytons" :)), but when I bought it in the late 1970's, I was more interested in the 1957 FF movie information contained in the book. In 2008 I bought the updated edition.
Have to read it at some point, too.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: I see what they mean about Enid basing the character of George on herself!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

An excellent book, I've read it a few times. As with A Childhood at Greenhedges, I've read that a few more I think. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've read it a few times, and have both editions. Its the definitive book on Enid in my opinion. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Barbara Stoney's Biography is a fascinating book. I've read it all the way through half a dozen times and I also dip into it regularly in search of specific information. I first came across it in the local library at the age of thirteen or fourteen and was amazed to discover that Enid Blyton had daughters called Gillian and Imogen and pets called Bimbo and Topsy, just like in the book Bimbo and Topsy. In fact, I was taken aback to learn that Enid Blyton had children at all as I had pictured her as an apple-cheeked spinster living alone in a little cottage, devoting her life to writing books, feeding the birds, baking gingerbread and chatting merrily to passing children over the garden gate! I found the Biography a compelling read, even though it altered the image I had had of Enid.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:...As with A Childhood at Greenhedges, I've read that a few more I think. :)
Still haven't read my copy. :oops:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Give it a read, Chrissie. You won't be disappointed.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member