Enid Blyton's influence on crime writing in the UK

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Enid Blyton's influence on crime writing in the UK

Post by Mollybob »

I've just finished reading The American Boy by Andrew Taylor, a fictional account of the childhood of Edgar Allan Poe. I was interested to read that his crime writing was inspired by Enid Blyton. I quote:
"With Andrew's natural inclination for melodrama there was 'usually the odd corpse, the odd murder' even in his schoolboy plays, and he places the blame firmly on Enid Blyton's Noddy, the first 'crime' book he can remember reading. 'Hurrah for Little Noddy was Enid Blyton's groundbreaking expose of police incompetence and gang culture among goblins in the fast set. It has red herrings, a wrongful arrest and a thrilling car chase. Big Ears puts in some solid detective work too.' According to Andrew, at some point in the near future someone will publish a PhD thesis on the influence of Enid Blyton on crime writing in the UK. "I'm sure a lot of us in my early age group had our psyches warped at a very early age.'"
It's nice to see a modern writer paying tribute to Enid Blyton for a change :-)
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I saw an interview with Jackie Collins recently, where she said that EB inspired her to write!! It must have been the crackling Bill/Aunt Allie chemistry, and Julian's distant but manly allure that did it...
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I would never have thought it of Jackie Collins. You live and learn :D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Enid Blyton's influence on crime writing in the UK

Post by pete9012S »

Mollybob wrote: 25 Mar 2007, 11:29 I've just finished reading The American Boy by Andrew Taylor, a fictional account of the childhood of Edgar Allan Poe. I was interested to read that his crime writing was inspired by Enid Blyton. I quote:
"With Andrew's natural inclination for melodrama there was 'usually the odd corpse, the odd murder' even in his schoolboy plays, and he places the blame firmly on Enid Blyton's Noddy, the first 'crime' book he can remember reading. 'Hurrah for Little Noddy was Enid Blyton's groundbreaking expose of police incompetence and gang culture among goblins in the fast set. It has red herrings, a wrongful arrest and a thrilling car chase. Big Ears puts in some solid detective work too.' According to Andrew, at some point in the near future someone will publish a PhD thesis on the influence of Enid Blyton on crime writing in the UK. "I'm sure a lot of us in my early age group had our psyches warped at a very early age.'"
It's nice to see a modern writer paying tribute to Enid Blyton for a change :-)
Hilarious!

This old article was news to me. :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

:D Yes, it's funny. When I saw the title of the thread I thought it would talk about the Find-Outers, not Noddy.
'Hurrah for Little Noddy was Enid Blyton's groundbreaking expose of police incompetence and gang culture among goblins in the fast set
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

It's not 1st April is it! ;)
Society Member