The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Timmy254 wrote:
Kiki's new mam wrote:but if you look, Julian's or Dick hair and clothes don't look wet at all, as if Julian hadn't jumped in or there was a long break before they shot the next one.
Hm, they do look wet to me. If you look at the green T-shirt Gary's wearing you can see quite well that it looks darker than it did before they had jumped in. And I guess the hair and clothes were not soaking wet anymore because the boys had come back to the cottage by bike. And it was very windy that day as you can see in the next scene where George and Anne say good bye to uncle Quentin. :)
i hadn't noticed that, :oops: :? :shock: oh well, i mustn't have such sharp eye's as you!, there doesn't seem to be any mistakes or special moments left to find now though. :(

Leila.
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Aww, don't worry, Leila! To be honest, I used a magnifying glass...
No, I'm just kidding. Someone put that video up on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4odcVTN ... playnext=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately it's the German version of the 70s series. But it's in HD (the picture quality is amazing! Can't wait for the DVD... :roll: :( ) and that makes it a bit easier to see that the boys' clothes and hair are still wet :wink:
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Kiki's new mam

The 78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by Kiki's new mam »

thanks timmy254 for the link i can see now that the boys clothes and hair do look rather wet, although they don't seem that wet, though as you said, they came by bike and was rather windy (so thats how they got there so quickly :roll: )
Timmy254 wrote:Can't wait for the DVD... :roll:
i have got the dvd of the 70s famous five, its got all the episodes :D

Leila.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Congratulations! :D
But where did you get it? I only ask because there is no official release of the series that I know of. So it might be a good idea not to answer that question. Just in case...

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Kiki's new mam wrote:i have got the dvd of the 70s famous five, its got all the episodes :D
Oh, I envy you! *sob* But actually I can't complain. At least I've got all episodes on video now :D I had to wait 17 years for that though! And why? Because I was stupid and missed the rerun in 1998!

I was stupid..? I think I still am...sometimes... :roll:
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Kiki's new mam

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Dick Kirrin wrote:Congratulations! :D
But where did you get it? I only ask because there is no official release of the series that I know of. So it might be a good idea not to answer that question. Just in case...

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
what do you mean? i got it sort of from ebay, if you type famous five DVD up comes sponsored links (there was also the 90s FF DVDs) and in the sponsored links was famous five 1978 dvd so my family got one for me.

NOTE. i have just went to look to see if the link is there and it isn't.

Leila.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Its probably the same set that a few people have got Leila. Its a bootleg release, unofficial and technically illegal though I cant see anyone bothering to prosecute a buyer. It will have to suffice until the hallowed day when we get an official DVD release. :roll:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thanks, LS. That's what I meant to hint.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

PS:
Its a bootleg release, unofficial and technically illegal though I cant see anyone bothering to prosecute a buyer.
Personally, I think it's a bit dangerous to follow that route... . Sanctimoniousness mode on: But you see what they make us do with their reluctance to release an official DVD set. Us law-abiding Blyton fans even thinking about purchasing goods of unknown legal status. :shock: Sanctimoniousness mode out.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Kiki's new mam

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Dick Kirrin wrote:
Its a bootleg release, unofficial and technically illegal though I cant see anyone bothering to prosecute a buyer.
Personally, I think it's a bit dangerous to follow that route... . Sanctimoniousness mode on: But you see what they make us do with their reluctance to release an official DVD set. Us law-abiding Blyton fans even thinking about purchasing goods of unknown legal status. :shock: Sanctimoniousness mode out.
come to think of it, the DVD quality was about the same as the video's, i mean some of the starting themes looked really sunny and bright, where others looked rather cloudy and dark, as if some senes (spelling :? :oops:) where of video's :? :(

is my DVD really illegal? :( i do hope not.

Leila. :(
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Kiki's new mam wrote:come to think of it, the DVD quality was about the same as the video's, is my DVD really illegal? :( i do hope not. Leila. :(
I too own the hallowed DVD bootleg of the 70's series, as does at least one member of the cast! Being a bootleg, it is simply a direct copy taken from the commercially available VHS tapes, hence no improvement in picture quality.

As regards the law on bootlegs, it is certainly illegal to copy and sell copyright material, but it is quite legal to purchase and own for example a pirated Famous Five DVD! :D However, as when an official release takes place then my "pirate" will be consigned to the bin. :D
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Good to know that. I'm feeling tempted... .
Seriously, I didn't mean to kill anybody's fun and joy with the DVD set, sorry if I did.
The starting themes don't look dark and cloudy because they are bootlegged, they already looked that way on the VHS videos.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Dick Kirrin wrote:Good to know that. I'm feeling tempted... .
Me too! But at least I've got all episodes on video as I said before. Unfortunately it's only the German version. Although the picture quality wasn't great I totally enjoyed watching the English version on YouTube. But all episodes that had been uploaded by Smallface got deleted by YouTube! :(
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I do believe that I have spotted what is probably the second surviving road vehicle from the 70's series. While re-watching Five Get Into Trouble, I noticed an old Daimler during the chase scenes featuring Perton and Richard Trent. 1955 Daimler SOM 789 appears for only a few seconds, blink and you will miss it! A quick DVLA search revealed that this vehicle still exists and is taxed until June 2011.

I expect that the appearance of the Daimler was purely incidental, or perhaps it was borrowed/hired and used as a prop, who knows? :lol:

Lymington 1978. Richard Trent (Grant Bardsley) does a runner.
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Great car! But even if I hadn't blinked I would have missed it :wink: .
Midnight-Visitor

Post by Midnight-Visitor »

Hi Everyone :D

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone else here think it's really terrible Southern Television weren't allowed to produce a 3rd series in 1979?

Oh...Think of all the possiblities, The stories, plots, villians, locations etc. Now we'll never know.

I guess the only down side would've been having to use a new "Timmy" as Toddy the Dog apparently passed away not long after series 2 had wrapt up filming
:(