The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by Dick Kirrin »

You are not the only one, I guess. I would have liked some more adventures, too.
Thinking of some of the really horrible stuff they did over here with the characters by just having more books written, I must admit, however, that it may well be all right the way it is.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

PS: I just have a very bad taste in my mouth by remembering "Five on the case". This is American mainstream cartoon and has no Blyton feel to it. I'm happy to have grown up with the 78s series. :P
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Dick Kirrin wrote:You are not the only one, I guess. I would have liked some more adventures, too.
Thinking of some of the really horrible stuff they did over here with the characters by just having more books written, I must admit, however, that it may well be all right the way it is.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

PS: I just have a very bad taste in my mouth by remembering "Five on the case". This is American mainstream cartoon and has no Blyton feel to it. I'm happy to have grown up with the 78s series. :P
I agree with you, Dick :D .
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Ed Fulcrum

Post by Ed Fulcrum »

Funny that the discussion came around to the lack of steam locomotion in 'Five go down to the sea'.

I've just spent a few weekends viewing the German release, (although I have VHS of all the episodes too), and in 'Five go off to Camp' there are steam trains running under the moors where the 'five' are camping.
You can't even argue that the villians are using old obsolete steam trains to carry out there illegal activity because early in the the episode Anne reassures the rest of the five that the steam being emitted from the vents is 'only from the trains running under the moor'!!!

Another funny bad edit occurs in 'Five go down to the sea' when Jullian and Dick confront Mr. Prnruthlan. In one shot he is at one side of the kitchen, Julian and Dick turn to 'escape' out the door and suddenly Mr. Penruthlan has reappeared at the door at the other side of the rrom blocking their path!!

Take a look and let me know what you think:-)
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Here's another bit of dubbing for you all (Apologies for my absence - I'll be back to being a pretty much daily visitor now)

In Demons Rocks, When they close the trapdoor on Ebby and Jacob, Julian is shouting up for Tinker and Anne to come down - he is a master of ventriloquism as his lips aren't moving....
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

George@Kirrin wrote:Apologies for my absence - I'll be back to being a pretty much daily visitor now...
I thought that was mandatory for a moderator! :wink:
Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

One from Wonderful time, may have been mentioned before - I'll condense all into a single post which I can then edit as any others are found...

Prof Terry Kane is in the tower, looking out through the iron bars on the windows, he'll never fit through those...

Amazingly enough though, when Buffalo's knife and the rope ladder are used - the bars are gone and so all can escape...
foodlover

Post by foodlover »

I think this may have been mentioned before, but the opening sequence is great.

One thing I find interesting is when the five get together at the end of the sequence, Gary puts his hand on Toddy and then pulls it away. I guess this must have been planned as otherwise Gary's arm would've continued to obscure his fellow cast members. Perhaps Gary got the raw deal there with the worst position as the other cast members got to keep touching/holding Toddy till the end of the sequence and were more front on facing the camera.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Not sure if this was an error, but in Fix as Morgan shouts for Dai when they're are all stuck under Old Towers, Julian puts his hand to his ear as the shout is obviously meant to be deafening - Morgan is stood to Julian's left, yet Julian puts his right hand to his right ear....
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Darren (fivesfan78/79) and I have just watched a few episodes and between us have found a few more errors...

We've identified 2 points where you can see the crew, but you'll have to be quick (or watch frame by frame)

Firstly in Hike - when Dick and Ju dive off the raft, there's a shot from underwater of Timmy looking into the water... Watch carefully and to the right of the screen is a camera man, with a hat on, no shirt and a large camera....

Trouble - when Mr Perton drives off with Richard in the boot, as he drives away and you get a shot of him in the car, look quickly at who's in the rear nearside passenger seat - it's an adult male who quickly leans down but too late...

And there's also and end credit boob... In some Uncle Q is down as Quentin Kirrin, and in others Quentin Kirren...

No doubt when we get our heads together and watch more we'll find other mishaps
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

George@Kirrin wrote:We've identified 2 points where you can see the crew, but you'll have to be quick (or watch frame by frame)

Firstly in Hike - when Dick and Ju dive off the raft, there's a shot from underwater of Timmy looking into the water... Watch carefully and to the right of the screen is a camera man, with a hat on, no shirt and a large camera....

Trouble - when Mr Perton drives off with Richard in the boot, as he drives away and you get a shot of him in the car, look quickly at who's in the rear nearside passenger seat - it's an adult male who quickly leans down but too late...
Cheers, Zoe. I'll have to look out for those next time - and things mentioned in previous posts. :)
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Another that Darren noticed, bit if a health and safety one - watch when Sol Western gets in the car, or rather tries to after hiding his prison clothes in trouble.... Almost a nasty accident!!
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Darren and I have been watching again - a few more for you...

Caravan - Pongo changes gender - think I've mentioned this before

At the end of Caravan when Tiger Dan says to Pongo "Go away you horrible little monkey" etc, have a close look at pongo, and at the handler's arm which is holding the chimp still!
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

They was a lot of day for night shooting and I had to watch of the episodes on our big Radio Rentals telly in the dark with the curtains drawn to see what was going on.

Little mishaps and continuity errors occur in even the most big budget films so they never spoiled my enjoyment.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Radio Rentals!!! It's a long time since I heard that name mentioned. :D
Society Member
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

Unless you were fairly affluent in the seventies most people had to rent TVs, from Granada or Radio Rentals, my sister remained me that we once had a black and white TV with a slot meter and you had to put 10p in the back to view it, sounds unthinkable nowadays when you can watch live TV in your smartphones, it's like living in the age if Star Trek, sorry for the lack of punctuation but I'm typing this on the train quickly because the woman sitting next to me is trying to read this.