The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by number 6 »

Hi Luke. Yes, the bridge is definitely in Exbury gardens. It has a name, but I can't remember it off hand. If ever you visit the gardens, then seek out the bridge & look over to see the little lane that runs underneath it. This the lane Mr Perton is seen driving along, before the scene you mentioned in your last post. :D

'Borrowed' this off google search. It's the above bridge in Exbury gardens, showing the white pillars you mentioned.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bridg ... q1t8YmJXxM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:
Gary Russell wrote:Interesting that one - it's crossed my mind too - I always assumed they were a couple of Perton's people. It's not Exbury by the way, it's Pylewell House in Lyndhurst - and that may be the answer. It's possible that we weren't *able* to stop people wandering around Pylewell like we were at Exbury and thery did indeed wander into shot and no one noticed until post, and thus it was too late.
Thanks for the info, Gary. Exbury House/gardens feature in the episode, but I didn't realise Pylewell house/gardens were used as well. Was Pylewell just used for certain scenes, because It looks as though both locations have been edited to knit together & become one place. :D
The gates were done at Pylewell
timv

Post by timv »

The only Pylewell House I know, certainly the only 'Pylewell' with a large estate and grand entrance in the New Forest, is much nearer St Leonards and Sowley than Lyndhurst. It is along a lane about 15 minutes walk West of Sowley and close to the Solent shoreline, and can be seen by anyone walking around the FF filming sites in this area; it is about 30-35 minutes on foot from St Leonards to its East gate. The estate has various public footpaths across it, including one that goes by the main gates (North side) past the mansion, and the East entrance is onto a public road at 'East End' village; I have been there frequently. You can also see the house (large square C18th Georgian block with two small ornamental towers) and lawns from the seashore. The private grounds are occasionally open , usually for summer fetes and the annual 'Curious Arts Festival' in July. Is this the house you mean?

I've often been past the 'Private Road' entrance to the lane to Blackwater House at St L and never dared venture down it; it would be great to have a chance to take a look at the building.

Pylewell was leased as a summer holiday home in 1750 by the future King George III's parents (G is the King in 'The Madness of King George', the one who lost America). So the 12-year-old future king spent a summer holiday there - the last one before his father died and he became heir to his grandfather's throne.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks for replying & confirming the Pylewell location, Gary! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 14 Jun 2017, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

timv wrote:The only Pylewell House I know, certainly the only 'Pylewell' with a large estate and grand entrance in the New Forest, is much nearer St Leonards and Sowley than Lyndhurst. It is along a lane about 15 minutes walk West of Sowley and close to the Solent shoreline, and can be seen by anyone walking around the FF filming sites in this area; it is about 30-35 minutes on foot from St Leonards to its East gate. The estate has various public footpaths across it, including one that goes by the main gates (North side) past the mansion, and the East entrance is onto a public road at 'East End' village?
I've been, timv, but I didn't know the name of it! Even when Gary mentioned it as a location, it didn't ring a bell. Your description jogged my memory & I googled it to confirm whether I'd been. After looking at the images of the house/gardens I recognised it straight away! I've visited the main gates & walked through the grounds (Footpaths) on several occasions whilst on my way to Sowley pond (& beyond) from Lymington!
Thanks for jogging my memory! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 14 Jun 2017, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

number 6 wrote:Hi Luke. Yes, the bridge is definitely in Exbury gardens. It has a name, but I can't remember it off hand. If ever you visit the gardens, then seek out the bridge & look over to see the little lane that runs underneath it. This the lane Mr Perton is seen driving along, before the scene you mentioned in your last post. :D

'Borrowed' this off google search. It's the above bridge in Exbury gardens, showing the white pillars you mentioned.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bridg ... q1t8YmJXxM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
The name of the bridge is Gilbury Bridge I believe. There is a map:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gilbury ... EQ4sFuYRlM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:

Didn't know they had a 10k run every year at Exbury Gardens... :P
number 6

Post by number 6 »

That'll be the one, Luke! Thanks for posting the map. I don't mind having a steady walk around Exbury gardens, but I'll pass on the 10k run! :D
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by petejt »

Petermax wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:I don't think has been mentioned before, but in Smugglers top, Sooty and Marybelle switch between calling Mr Lenoir "Father" and "Step-Father"
Another similar anomaly is George addressing Quentin as "Father" in the first episode or two, before reverting to the more modern "Dad" for the remainder of the series.
Incorrect.

In 'Wonderful Time', the Five and the gypsies arrive back to the gypsy camp, where Rita Webb's character excitedly tells them about how they captured the "bad scientist". Alfredo corrects and says "No, WE capture him!". She realises her mistake and they all go to open the caravan door. They see the snake on the floor and then Uncle Quentin sitting cramped on the back wall.

George: "FATHER!"

Bufflo: "He's your father?"

Quentin: "Yes I am. And I'll have the police on you for holding me."

George: "But they were only trying to help."

Quentin then goes onto says he was "threatened and set upon by wild animals". Then Terry Kane says "Quentin!" in a happy voice. Quentin realises who he is and says "Who Mark?" (wrong name?) Terry says how the children saved him.

I always find it funny when Quentin says afterwards "I was heapin' in there. Especially when they put the snake in."
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Terry-Kane is his surname
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

petejt wrote:I always find it funny when Quentin says afterwards "I was heapin' in there..."
I think Quentin says, "I wish he'd been in there..." (meaning Pottersham).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Good thread title. There seem to be little mistakes in some of these posts! :D
Society Member
petejt

Post by petejt »

Gary Russell wrote:Terry-Kane is his surname
Aha! I always thought his first name was Terry, and surname was Kane. Blast!
petejt

Post by petejt »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
petejt wrote:I always find it funny when Quentin says afterwards "I was heapin' in there..."
I think Quentin says, "I wish he'd been in there..." (meaning Pottersham).
Oh yeah, that's where George says to him "They thought you were Pottersham."

Quentin: "Me Pottersham? *Huah!*" And then the bit whether it was "I wish he'd been in there, especially when they put the snake in", or "I was heapin' in there, especially when they put the snake in."
petejt

Post by petejt »

Here's one from Five are Together Again.

When Sam gets into trouble with Mister Tapper, because Charlie got out again, does he swear?

Sam is clearly frustrated and disgruntled when Mister Tapper puts a new padlock on Charlie's cage. After he leaves, I always hear Sam say to Charlie:

"Now look what you've done! Dickhead."

(Apologies for the coarse language).

It MIGHT be 'thick'-head, but the quick way in which he says it, I always hear the letter D at the start of the word.

I just find it surprising to hear a swearword in a children's television programme. But it does not offend me at all. I just find it amusing.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Oh my God! :lol: :lol:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member