Famous Five Souvenir DVD Box Set

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Famous Five Souvenir DVD Box Set

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree its the acting of Julian in the 1990s series that puts me off. Julian in the 70s was much better, and much more how I imagine Julian to be. The acting is much more sincere in the 1970s version - you can tell the children were all fans of Enid Blyton, I think.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I preferred Julian from the 70's series as the 90's one although ok in the first series, seemed to old by the second one. On the other hand, I thought 90's Anne was closer to book Anne, and I don't think anybody could beat the 90's George! 90's Aunt Fanny and Uncle Quentin (particularly the latter) were a better fit too, and the villains felt more sinister and villainous, especially Mr Barling and Block, who looked like Dracula's undead servant :shock: . I did really like the 70's series though, it seemed to have more details from the books left in and didn't feel quite so rushed as some of the 90's episodes.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I just got this set yesterday after buying it on eBay. I was lucky to find a seller who was offering free postage to NZ - just as well considering it cost over A$60! The torch is awesome. I really like the badge and postcard set too. The DVDs are a bit of a letdown though - they just seem to be a rehash of the set that had already been released, so I don't think they're remastered or have any additional features (I'd be happy to be wrong though). You do get the old Five on a Treasure Island from the 1950s though, which would be pretty cool if you didn't already have it (which, alas, I do). Of course, these are Region 4 DVDs, so just beware of that, as I think Britain is Region 2.

What I really got this set for though was the souvenir booklet, to see if it's the same one I translated from German about three years ago. And ... it is! :D I get a little credit right at the end too! So that's pretty cool. Just about the first time I've seen anything I've translated in print! :mrgreen:

Regarding the torch, by the way: it takes two D-sized batteries. It also has two settings. The first setting enables you to signal with it by pressing the little red button, while the second setting switches it on properly. Seriously awesome! :idea:
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That does sound like a superior torch! I don't think Blyton fans ever grow out of finding items like torches and badges exciting! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

RDMorrell wrote:Of course, these are Region 4 DVDs, so just beware of that, as I think Britain is Region 2.
It is. But I've bought Region 2 DVDs in Britain (including Famous Five ones!) and sent them to my family in Australia, and they reportedly worked fine on our Australian DVD player. So possibly they would work the other way around too, but I'm not sure.
RDMorrell wrote: What I really got this set for though was the souvenir booklet, to see if it's the same one I translated from German about three years ago. And ... it is! :D I get a little credit right at the end too! So that's pretty cool. Just about the first time I've seen anything I've translated in print! :mrgreen:
Wow! Congratulations and well done. :D
RDMorrell wrote: Regarding the torch, by the way: it takes two D-sized batteries. It also has two settings. The first setting enables you to signal with it by pressing the little red button, while the second setting switches it on properly. Seriously awesome! :idea:
How cool is that! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Courtenay wrote:
RDMorrell wrote:Of course, these are Region 4 DVDs, so just beware of that, as I think Britain is Region 2.
It is. But I've bought Region 2 DVDs in Britain (including Famous Five ones!) and sent them to my family in Australia, and they reportedly worked fine on our Australian DVD player. So possibly they would work the other way around too, but I'm not sure.
RDMorrell wrote: Regarding the torch, by the way: it takes two D-sized batteries. It also has two settings. The first setting enables you to signal with it by pressing the little red button, while the second setting switches it on properly. Seriously awesome! :idea:
I'm not sure if they would, I've bought region 1 (USA) DVD's and they definitely wouldn't play on my region 2 player or region 2 computer, so I don't see why region 4 ones would be any different. You can change the region setting on the computer to play other region's disks, but you have to be careful as after five changes it will lock permanently to that fifth setting. One way around it is to buy a cheap external plug in DVD drive, set it to whatever region you want and just keep it for that.

That torch sounds fab, shame they don't sell them separately! 8)
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Region 1 is never compatible with Australian DVD players either, IceMaiden. But Region 2 definitely is. I had no idea until recently that we (in Australia) were a separate region — I always assumed we were Region 2 too! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

The best thing to do is get a multi-region DVD player...although they seem to like making it a secret as to whether a DVD player is a 'multi-region' one or not! Our is brilliant! Half my DVD collection is region 1 and it plays them all. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

RDMorrell wrote:Regarding the torch, by the way: it takes two D-sized batteries. It also has two settings. The first setting enables you to signal with it by pressing the little red button, while the second setting switches it on properly. Seriously awesome! :idea:
That sounds like the torch I used to have.
Unfortunately a battery ran out and made it useless.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great news RD Morell and it's nice to hear from you again after some time. :D It must be nice to see our own name in print and your work given credit.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Now I think about it, we had a torch like that when I was little too — it had a red button that you pressed to make it flash (it would light up until you took your finger off the button) as well as a sliding switch that made it stay lit. I remember being quite excited when I first saw it, realising how useful it would be for signalling in Morse code and the like, but for some reason we never did get around to using it for that! :lol:
Society Member

Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

This torch reminds me of one that I had in the early or mid 1970s. It had a "slider" that put a red or green cover over the front of the lamp. (or plain white). The switch enabled me to either switch it on intermittently (for signalling) or switch it on 'normally' as with any torch.|can't remember what happened to it - but imagine that , as is usual with torches, the switch broke. I can't remember where it came from, but can't help thinking Woolworths.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I also had a torch like that, with the red and green filters. Not sure where it came from though. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have just bought the complete 70's series in a garden centre for £20 - six DVDs. That'll replace my VHS tapes I recorded off TVS! :D
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well done!

Now you just need the torch!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Tin-Pla ... SwPc9Wx0Z3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member