Michele Gallagher

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Michele Gallagher

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's interesting, Pipster. Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing that with us. Did you know Michele personally?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pipster

Post by Pipster »

Thanks for the welcome. I have been in my time what you might call a Romani activist, although less so of late. I used to get quite upset about portrayals of "gypsy" characters, especially in children's fiction. (I actually think Enid Blyton is less guilty in this regard than you might suppose - Jo for example is characterised pretty positively as both a gypsy and a strong female. I'm not so keen on Sniffer!)

And yes, I did meet Michelle on a number of occasions, although I wouldn't say I knew her well, and we did specifically discuss her mother's background. I think it's fair to say that she was quite aware of the irony I have described.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the further information, Pipster. It's nice that you spoke to Michele a few times. Of all Enid Blyton's "gypsy" characters Jo was the one who stuck in my mind - she was a spirited girl and I admired her agility and courage. The idea of living in a caravan and travelling from place to place has great appeal to child readers.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The idea of living in a caravan and travelling from place to place has great appeal to child readers.
And to some adult readers! We walked around the local annual pleasure fair, last night, and I still had the same longing to join a travelling fair (or circus, for that matter) that I had as a child.
Pipster, thanks for your posts. Most interesting.
Society Member
Pipster

Post by Pipster »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:The idea of living in a caravan and travelling from place to place has great appeal to child readers.
And to some adult readers! We walked around the local annual pleasure fair, last night, and I still had the same longing to join a travelling fair (or circus, for that matter) that I had as a child.
Yes, it seems to be a common enough fantasy, and particularly appealing to children, which is no doubt why Blyton incorporated these elements into her stories.

I would, however, just gently point out that not all Romani people are in the fairground or circus businesses, and not all people in those businesses are Romani!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pipster wrote: I would, however, just gently point out that not all Romani people are in the fairground or circus businesses, and not all people in those businesses are Romani!
A good point, Pipster, and thank you for reminding us. I think most fairgrounds these days are staffed by local people, not all of whom you would trust the family silver with. I have the greatest respect for true Romani people, and feel shame that they are linked to the problems caused by tinkers and other vagrants masquerading as gypsies. I remember, as a child, gypsies calling on us, my mother always tried to help them, even giving away my treasured toy chimp to one family as she took to their child. :|
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Malcolm Saville's Romany characters (Reuben and Miranda) are portrayed in a positive way, although they are wary of officialdom.
Mark-Lawless

Post by Mark-Lawless »

lwindrush wrote:The complete absence and blanket of silence surrounding her is puzzling, she had a high profile in a major TV series, I remember the huge coverage given to the show in Look-in magazine at the time, all the feature stories and interviews.
Of course people move on and drift out of acting, this query is to reflect the huge admiration I had for her as an actress in the series and to share this with fellow fans here. I wish everyone here love peace and affection.
I'm new to this forum. I hadn't watched this series since it was originally aired back in the 70s. One of my neices seemed enthralled with the books, so I searched out the DVDs for her - and bought a copy for my little girl too. We watched them together over the last couple of weekends, and I must say, it was like meeting some old friends again!

Having spent the last few evenings researching all things Famous Five, finding out about filming locations and looking at where the cast are now, I have been saddened to learn of the probable passing of Michele Gallagher. I too was naturally curious about what she did after the show finished, and very surprised to find that there was such a huge mystery surrounding her later years, and so many different opinions about what may or may not have happened to her.

Whether she has passed on, or simply wanted to disappear from her past and go elsewhere for whatever reason, I hope she is at peace. If I'm honest though, I have to admit that I would like to find out more, without being insensitive towards her family. She is a much loved figure amongst fans of the series, however I don't think that there are thousands of people out there who would invade anyone's privacy. I suspect that there are many with vague memories of the 70s TV Series, but not that many with the level of interest that people here, myself included, may have.

Just my tuppence worth.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I suppose that after 40 years has passed, little more will be learned. Jenny Thanisch, still alive, leads a private life, making no interviews/public announcements. She didn't even tell her children about her TV history!
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Michele Gallagher Birthday

Post by number 6 »

Michele Gallagher, I think, would have reached her 50th Birthday today! After all these years, I still have fond memories of Michele. It's just a shame she isn't with us to celebrate her milestone. :cry:
Paul Austin

Re: Michele Gallagher Birthday

Post by Paul Austin »

RIP Michele Gallagher, 1964-2001.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Mario

Post by Mario »

Ah yes, I read everything and it might be thin ice making a first post on this thread out of all...but I try to be careful. So...
Hello, I'm Mario. For several years I'm doing in-depth research about another cult classic you may or may not heard of. The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane.

The connection? Well, if you grew up in the 70s you witnessed a certain girl type phenomenon, quite common back then but disappeared today (and it feels no matter if on screen or real life). The Jodie Foster of that time is prime example. Kristy McNichol another. And a lot more, you have your own memories from childhood days, your own tv shows, you know what I mean. Tough girls, no make-up but dirt in the face, no pretty dresses but jeans jumpsuits, often fighting with the boys (and, er, occasionally it turned out in reality they get along way better with same sex..)

Anyway...I think Michele Gallagher truely deserves to be on this all-time greatest tomboys list. Maybe she never had her name written in big letters on a theatre. Maybe she did only this one show. But through the impact she obviously had on hundreds or even thousands of young people, till this day!, and the interest her fate and whereabouts gains, so easily it would make any young and coming actress jealous.

PS. I didn't check all the forum, but did you ever discuss here the meaning of her role as George for you, personally, when you were young? Especially if you were a girl. (That boys had a crush on one or the other girl is a given I guess ;)

PS.PS. I can't resist. There have been three people so far who met/knew Michele and each made three posts, and were not seen again. As for me I have a completely different approach to find out secrets and things about my fav movie. I don't understand most of the reasons in the comments, why one should not ask this or investigate that. I think we all talk film/television history. If you want to do good historical work you need to follow every snippet to its source and ask ask ask. That's my experience. Why? Because Michele Gallagher's story deserves to be written down correcly, from reliable sources. And true. _That_ is repect for not only a person but an young artist's work.

Sorry for the worst English ever.
Last edited by Mario on 28 Apr 2014, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Your English is fine, Mario. It's nice that several people who knew Michele Gallagher have visited the forums and shared some memories with us, and we appreciate that. However, I don't think it would be right to press people for information about Michele's life. Most of us didn't know her personally and I think it's important to respect the privacy of her friends and family. If they read this thread they'll see that many of us admired Michele in the role of George Kirrin - whether they want to share any memories of her is entirely up to them.

Society Member
Sag

Post by Sag »

Hello
Sag again...I am quite happy to answer anyone s questions regarding michelle in her later years..there is no mistery !!
Regards
Sag
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Re: Michelle Gallagher

Post by daanton »

Just wondering: as we yet do not know an exact date (let alone year) of passing, does anyone know her date of birth?
Famous Five TV Fan