1978 TV Theme Single B Side...

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
George@Kirrin

1978 TV Theme Single B Side...

Post by George@Kirrin »

Well, I did promise it, and here it is, Together Again

Apologies as I've not had time to compile a new set of pics to accompany it, so you're stuck with those from the A side - one day will edit it to make it different... For now it's better than nothing for those who've not got it.

Big thanks to Viking Star for the track - better than my old record player version.

Together Again

Hope you all enjoy :)
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Well, the song is certainly catchy but it's even more cheesy than the "A" side! It has a 1950s feel to it - perhaps that's no coincidence as the series came out in 1978, as did the John Travolta "Grease" film.

I like the lines "There's mystery in the air/Adventure everywhere" and "Strange flashing lights/And noises in the night." But what do they mean about "Timmy's frightened bark"? Timmy's a great ferocious beast! :lol:

Anita
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Hah, it is the ultimate in cheese I agree, and catchy too.

I think one of the lines I like is the Five pairs of eyes lying in wait..... Six pairs of feet.....

What with Timmy have 2 pairs and all - Rather clever I thought :oops: :lol:
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hi George@Kirrin,

Just played it to my son and daughter and we had a chuckle at that line too, which I missed the first time - "Six pairs of feet ready to run/And bring the villains down"! :lol:

Anita
Tony Summerfield

Theme Tune

Post by Tony Summerfield »

No hamsters in this one - very catchy! I can just see the Blue Peter lot singing this at the palace this evening :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: 1978 TV Theme Single B Side...

Post by pete9012S »

Is it still possible to hear this 'B' side anywhere? The original link doesn't seem to work and I don't think I've ever heard the song! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

Almost makes one glad the A side was used for the FF TV theme and not the B side...!

8) BTW, found it! [link]
Famous Five TV Fan
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for the link.Definitely the first time I've ever heard that! :D

Do you think it was ever considered for the main title?
Do we know were it was recorded,who sang and played on it?
Did the Famous Five sing it themselves??

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

No, Pete- it was sung by children from a stage school (Corona Stage Academy- I think). This is also the school that Jennifer Thanisch (Anne) went to. I seem to recall reading this somewhere.
Jack
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

It's the first time I've heard that song, and I like it. It's certainly a lot better than those ridiculous football songs that appeared every time the world cup came around.
Society Member
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

Y'know, JP, I'm rather a bit into Australian footy [link] myself, and some of the clubs' songs sound like plagiarisms of well-known British or American patriotic/folk songs....!
[Example: the Hawthorn Hawks' own song à la "Yankee Doodle Dandy"]

And JSYK, Pete, I've looked up your location on Google Maps, and it looks like you either reside around, or have recently visited, Corfe Castle. Apparently under Google Maps' StreetView, you can walk around a small area of the walled grounds on the west side of the castle hill....!

And speaking of Corona Stage Academy as Jennifer Thanisch's school: one cannot help but wonder if she herself might've snuck herself into said choir singing the B side song and/or the A side song....!
Famous Five TV Fan
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

daanton wrote:Y'know, JP, I'm rather a bit into Australian footy [link] myself, and some of the clubs' songs sound like plagiarisms of well-known British or American patriotic/folk songs....!
[Example: the Hawthorn Hawks' own song à la "Yankee Doodle Dandy"]
Oi, Dazza mate (pardon me slipping into my native dialect there)... how'd you get into footy, if you don't mind me asking? :D You're right, nearly all the AFL teams' songs are based on traditional tunes. Here's a compilation of most of the "originals": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSANBgZzi6o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Mind you, in real life, the team songs are normally belted out tunelessly by packs of fans who've had more than enough to drink!! :mrgreen:)

Back on topic, "Together Again" is good for a nostalgic laugh, but yeah, I too am rather glad they didn't use it for the TV theme!! The repeated "Don't care about the weather" is a particularly lame oh-gee-we-need-something-to-rhyme-with-"together" kind of line. Thanks for sharing, though - amazing what turns up on YouTube! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

daanton wrote:
And speaking of Corona Stage Academy as Jennifer Thanisch's school: one cannot help but wonder if she herself might've snuck herself into said choir singing the B side song and/or the A side song....!

She didn't :-) We were too busy filming while the recordings went on. For the record, I love Together Again and thought it should've been used as the theme to Series 2 (mainly cos I can't actually stand the main theme at all!! Heretic, I know!)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Warning: The more you listen to it the catchier it becomes. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3GN-4mERRw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes,it certainly could have fronted the second series,refreshing the show in the same way I think Starskey & Hutch used to change their intro theme tunes from series to series back in the 1970's....

I enjoyed this short revisited clip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8NWAGPehg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm with Gary on this one - it would have been a great idea to use it for Series Two. I think the original theme lost its appeal for me, after hearing it played at mega-decibels from Zoe's Beetle as she drove around Twyford, one year! Image
Society Member