Magic Faraway Tree set for cinema?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Magic Faraway Tree set for cinema

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I sit on a very diplomatic fence on matters of this type, particularly in cases such as this when I know absolutely nothing about what the plans are. I have, however, in the past 24 hours been approached by seven radio stations all wanting to do a live interview with anyone from the Society who would like to talk about this.

If there is someone out there who is just aching to have their say on live radio just let me know and I will pass your details over if you like to give them to me (phone number) by PM or email.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: It would be brilliant if they could reinstate the original names but I suppose they'll want to keep in line with the current editions of the Faraway Tree books. Dame Slap has become the tamer-sounding Dame Snap and she just shouts at people. In the 1990s BBC cartoon series Enid Blyton's Enchanted Lands she was Dame Tickle and she tickled people with a large feather.

It was interesting that nearly every newspaper and online report I read about this listed the characters as 'Jo Bessie and Fanny' - shows that in the minds of the reporters at least these are the 'proper' names - which indeed they are.

I would much rather Dame Slap was taken out entirely too, rather than be reduced to Dame Snap or Dame Tickle. :roll:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I think it is a great thing for Enid's books to be publicized in this way - especially through the Faraway Tree series which is a truly enchanting selection of stories. I think a film would capture many children's imaginations and could be very popular because of it's originality and adventure theme. But as others have said, it would be quite disappointing if the era in which the books were written in was not preserved - and the names, too and certain characters.
I can't say that I enjoyed the 90's version of the series: it just didn't offer the same thrilling excitement as the books do, and I have always been disappointed that it was aimed at such a young audience. I think the overall idea could attract a very wide audience if it was tackled, effectively.

Though I agree that it would be wonderful to keep everything exactly as it was in the books, I don't think things would work as well. Through my own recent experience of script-writing, I discovered how hard it is from a producers and script writers' point of view. They have got to ensure that the performance supplies entertainment for a wide audience and so many other things - otherwise it would be a lot of hard work for nothing.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: If there is someone out there who is just aching to have their say on live radio just let me know and I will pass your details over if you like to give them to me (phone number) by PM or email.
I would have thought someone with a good knowledge of the books should be the person to do this. The obvious candidate is Anita, and I think you have her number, Tony!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The BBC Breakfast interview can be seen on our Facebook page.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the link, Nigel. Most interesting. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for the link Nigel. Of course, it annoyed me to hear the usual 'racist sexist xenophobic' accusations...and the book critic actually saying that this was mainly in the adventurous books rather than Faraway Tree! It annoys me whenever people don't argue the point...but at least she did say that this was pretty much the case with all older books and authors - that they sometimes had to be altered for today's audience. I don't actually agree, but at least she said it wasnt just Blyton!

I was a bit astounded that neither of the presenters had ever read a Faraway Tree book - what?! Where have they been?! :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, that really annoyed me as well. This is why Anita should be interviewed. Maybe, just for once, the record could then be put straight.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the link, Nigel. I don't think I'd come across well on radio or TV as I'd feel self-conscious and flustered and forget what I wanted to say. I'm better when I have time to think things through and express them in writing. Viv used to do well in radio interviews (I can't recall whether she was ever on TV) but we haven't heard much from her lately. Hope she's okay.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Cinemas and books are totally different--- Enid Blyton's books are so lovely--- putting them into cinema may spoil the entire charm-- :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have never seen the need to want to "see" a book on tv or at the pictures. Nearly every adaptation I have seen has spoiled my memory of the book.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Robert Houghton wrote: I was a bit astounded that neither of the presenters had ever read a Faraway Tree book - what?! Where have they been?! :shock:
[Coughs nervously]. Neither have I. I'll get my coat. :oops:
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I haven't read any of them either! I've got the three actual novels and they weren't cheap either I just haven't got around to reading them yet.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
georgina 37
Favourite book/series: The Magic Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Dame Slap

Post by georgina 37 »

Thrill that they used one of my covers,even though it was cut down. many publishers have worked hard to print and distribute my books around the world.................and now a film. Georgina Hargreaves.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great news, Georgina! :)
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member