Guardian Article on Famous Five film

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Katharine

Re: Guardian Article on Famous Five film

Post by Katharine »

I've never actually seen him in that. Not sure what I first saw him in.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, but you knew exactly what I was referring to, didn't you... the poor bloke will never live that one down. :wink:

P&P (the 1995 BBC version) is well worth watching, even aside from the infamous lake scene (which is really quite tame, but I guess it was just unexpected in a Jane Austen adaptation!). But I would say Colin Firth's best performance so far (that I've seen) was as King George VI in The King's Speech, for which he deservedly won an Oscar. He tends to be very good at playing deep, sensitive, compelling sorts of characters. So I wouldn't cast him as Uncle Quentin. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've never actually read a Jane Austen book, or seen a film either. Not sure which I should do first?

I wasn't that impressed with Colin Firth in The King's Speech. Well, I thought he acted the part quite well, as a part, but I just couldn't believe he was King George. Looks wise he was totally mis-cast.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Katharine wrote:I quite like the first Nanny McPhee film, but only saw the second one a few weeks ago. Admittedly I didn't watch all of it, but I didn't like what I did see. There was one scene with a couple of revolting pantomime dame type characters attacking a man in a kitchen. I can't remember now exactly what happened, but I found it so distasteful, that I've told my 8 year old she's not to watch it any more. I hope they don't give the FF the same treatment.
I'm a bit surprised to read this, Katharine. This was a children's film and was rightly given a 'U' certificate. I thought that Working Title handled the period side of this film particularly well, and on this evidence alone I think they could make a very good job of a Famous Five film. However, at this point there has been no press release and I think it would be wise for us all to wait for more details before jumping to any conclusions as to what form any film might take.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I suppose it's all a matter of taste. I really can't remember what the scene I didn't like was about, but it's possible it may have had some kind of toilet humour in it, which I can't stand. I've even banned my daughter from watching the modern Mr. Men cartoons as they have one character which is constantly passing wind. I think that's rather crude and distasteful for young children to be exposed to. Just my opinion though.

You are of course right Tony, there has been no announcement yet, so it's all speculation as to what form a FF film would take. So there's hope my suggestion about including Colin Firth might be considered. :wink:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I remember taking my children to the first Nanny McPhee film in 2005 and thinking it shouldn't have been given a U rating because it contained a couple of swear words. My son was only five and I think it was the first time he'd been to the cinema, and I wasn't expecting bad language in a U-rated film. I don't think there were any such issues with the sequel.

I was disappointed with The King's Speech too, Katharine. I didn't think Colin Firth was right for King George VI either, and his little daughters Elizabeth and Margaret never got any older even though several years passed.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Should this Thread not be in the Blyton On TV section? ;-) Hope we will get more informations to this project soon. :-)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A film isn't a TV programme, although some films are made for TV and don't get a cinema release!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I was thinking that as well, Nigel, but then I remembered that the "Blyton on TV" section says, "Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories", so I think Soenke is right.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ah, I didn't realise that!
Society Member