Favorite actor/actress for The Famous Five 90s/70s?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Favorite actor/actress for The Famous Five 90s/70s?

Post by Courtenay »

The thing is, it'd be impossible nowadays to set the Famous Five in the present and have them be anything like the original stories at all, really. The 1970s were different in many ways from the '50s, but the basic plots could still be transferred to a contemporary setting and work pretty well. Now that we have computers, smartphones, the internet, social media and all the rest, the world that children (and grown-ups!) live in today is almost unrecognisable compared even to the '70s, let alone to Enid's era! :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I agree :lol: :lol: :lol:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

I think that the last possible decade to make a contemporary film or tv series of the FF was the 1970s. Even watching a repeat of "The Sweeney" yesterday highlighted how much times had changed. I refer to the "Flying Squad" having to ask a householder whether they could use her phone. The fact that they were trying to arrest her husband gives an insight into how difficult their lack of communications must have been.
Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Courtenay wrote:The thing is, it'd be impossible nowadays to set the Famous Five in the present and have them be anything like the original stories at all, really. The 1970s were different in many ways from the '50s, but the basic plots could still be transferred to a contemporary setting and work pretty well. Now that we have computers, smartphones, the internet, social media and all the rest, the world that children (and grown-ups!) live in today is almost unrecognizable compared even to the '70s, let alone to Enid's era! :shock:

Courtney, if Harry Potter can be made, I am sure this can be done too.
I think I can certainly live without my mobile phone if I had to go out and do all the stuff famous five do.I live without Facebook, it works out. It is not impossible certainly, and why should 12 or 13 year olds have mobiles?

Technology is just an extension to real life it can never replace it. I read this from Pew's research on Teenagers of 21st century.

I think, the settings of 1990's is so more appealing that even today if I see children going about like this, it would never seem like ,I visited the 1940's.
If we have the right cast, the right place and the right people working behind scenes, we can certainly make a super successful movie. :D
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

I haven't read the Famous Five books for some time but the whole of the Adventure series was made as present day pieces in the 1990s so it would probably not be impossible. Plus, as others have said, many modern day kids shows don't show the children using mobile phones or modern technology.

I would say though that as the Famous Five books have been adapted so many times before, it would be much more interesting if another series of books was attempted.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think it's not so much the fact that children need to be shown using modern technology - obviously a film maker can totally ignore the tech and just dramatise something without mobile phones, computers, tablets etc - but in an average Famous Five, if we are to assume most kids of 12 or 13 have a mobile phone, plots would seem a bit far fetched if they were tied up in caves etc and didn't 1) have the phone confiscated by the baddies or b) use a mobile phone (and tracking systems!) to show parents/police their whereabouts.

If a group of children found piles of treasure in a cave these days they would take photos on their phones, email them to parents or text a photo in a message. They would phone the police before anyone got tied up or kidnapped, and they certainly wouldn't witness lights being flashed by way of a signal, because the baddies would simply contact each other on mobile phones, so the children would never even discover that anything was going on!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote: If a group of children found piles of treasure in a cave these days they would take photos on their phones, email them to parents or text a photo in a message. They would phone the police before anyone got tied up or kidnapped, and they certainly wouldn't witness lights being flashed by way of a signal, because the baddies would simply contact each other on mobile phones, so the children would never even discover that anything was going on!
Isn't modern life boring?! :roll: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

It is to us living in a Blyton world. I can't imagine a life without flashing lights at night, secret passages and treasure maps. :D
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Jennifer Thanisch is my firm favourite from the 1970s series. The Anne from the 1990s series didn't really cut it for me, although she was probably closer in age to the Anne of the books. I don't really have a favourite from the 1990s series, but certainly Jemima Rooper was top-class as George.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Courtenay wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote: If a group of children found piles of treasure in a cave these days they would take photos on their phones, email them to parents or text a photo in a message. They would phone the police before anyone got tied up or kidnapped, and they certainly wouldn't witness lights being flashed by way of a signal, because the baddies would simply contact each other on mobile phones, so the children would never even discover that anything was going on!
Isn't modern life boring?! :roll: :wink:
Yep :P . Utterly utterly boring, I can't even begin to imagine an Enid Blyton book set in the modern day, I wouldn't want to in all honesty, and it wouldn't work. For me, their whole appeal is that their set in better, nicer, quieter times.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Part of the timeless appeal of the books is their setting in a simpler era where the children had toi rely on their own wits and ingenuity to succeed at their adventures rather than simply hauling out some piece of technology and letting that do the work instead.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

I think that as it has been so long since any English adaptation, that any new TV would be welcome...

It is weird looking back to think that across the 1990s about 50 Blyton books (if not more) were adapted for TV and yet there has been so little since then. I guess similar in some respects to the fact that there were no successful Sherlock Holmes adaptations for years and then 4 have recently come along at once...
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Half of me thinks it would be great to have a new EB series on TV, while the other half of me is saying 'NO!!' because I'm sure it would be awful. The 1970's and 90's Famous Fives were okay in their way, and I liked them both, but sometimes the villains, in particular, were handled as comedy villains, which I hated. Plus, I never watched a Famous Five without groaning at how much the story had been butchered compared to the book, or how a setting/situation/character was different to how I imagined it. I feel the same about most TV adaptations - especially my favourite Daphne DuMaurier book, 'Rebecca' - which has never been filmed properly in my opinion!

IF something was to be filmed and filmed well, I think The Five Find Outers would make an excellent series - but how difficult it would be to film so that it pleased every reader!

I think. in the end, like Enid, I'd rather watch each story play out on 'my own cinema screen' in my head, rather than on TV! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Perhaps you should try the St Clare's anime series, Robert. They made 26 episodes à 25 minutes of it. ;-)
Last edited by Wolfgang on 21 Feb 2016, 13:04, edited 2 times in total.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Wolfgang wrote:Perhaps you should try the St Clare's anime series, Robert. They made 26 episodes à 25 minutes of it. ;-)
That's more like it! ;-)

I would certainly love to see a well crafted adaptation of, say, the Barney Mysteries, with each book being covered in perhaps 2 or 3 parts of an hour long - slow burning and detailed, rather than just half an hour for a whole book! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member