Favorite actor/actress for The Famous Five 90s/70s?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Favorite actor/actress for The Famous Five 90s/70s?

Post by Wolfgang »

And what about the 13 episodes of "Lilalu im Schepperland", based on "A Book of Brownies", a puppet show?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

I think that apart from the personal aspect of whether it is enjoyable for an individual though, it would surely be good for Enid Blyton's popularity in general if there were a half decent adaptation of any of the books.

Dickens and Sherlock Holmes have certainly been boosted in the past as shown by the article below:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-16579263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Wolfgang wrote:And what about the 13 episodes of "Lilalu im Schepperland", based on "A Book of Brownies", a puppet show?
That sounds interesting Wolfgang, I love "Book Of Brownies"! I see it's on Youtube but sadly my German is nowhere near good enough to follow it properly. Is it available anywhere in English?
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

I had found an entry somewhere that there were an English edition, but when I tried to find that entry again, I couldn't. Unfortunately the DVD set that was recently published only has the German dubbing.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Jennifer Thanisch, is definitely my favourite cast member, from the 1970's TV Version of The Famous Five, I enjoyed watching all 26 episodes of the 1970's TV Version of The Famous Five, a few months ago, I haven't seen the 1990's TV Version of The Famous Five, for a long time, I did quite a few screencaps (including a few of Jennifer), from the 1970's TV Version of The Famous Five, you can see one of the screencaps below.

Jennifer Thanisch as Anne, from part one of the two part story - Five Go to Kirren Island (1978).

Society Member
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

Billy Farmer wrote:Jennifer Thanisch, is definitely my favourite cast member, from the 1970's TV Version of The Famous Five, I enjoyed watching all 26 episodes of the 1970's TV Version of The Famous Five, a few months ago, I haven't seen the 1990's TV Version of The Famous Five, for a long time, I did quite a few screencaps (including a few of Jennifer), from the 1970's TV Version of The Famous Five, you can see one of the screencaps below.
I concur. 8)
Famous Five TV Fan
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Jennifer Thanisch is my favourite from the 70's F5 series, but I'm being very biased due to the fact I met her on a few occasions many Moons ago. Some 36 years ago, to be exact! It would've been in April 1980, not three years later as I originally thought! Where has the time gone? (Sigh!) :(
Last edited by number 6 on 19 Aug 2019, 09:41, edited 3 times in total.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Machupicchu14 wrote::P The best actress is of course from the 70's:Michelle Gallagher :lol:
She just acts so naturally, I love her!!
I'm sure this was one of my first posts when I joined the EBS! Time flies!
Just wanted to say that I'm watching the 70s series all over again and gosh! I'm just in love with her (Michelle Gallagher) again too and all the others are simply amazing. I'm so fond of them and think that they did the best job in doing the Famous Five! could watch this 100 times without getting tired. :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
daanton

Post by daanton »

Machupicchu14 wrote::P The best actress is of course from the 70's:Michelle Gallagher :lol:
She just acts so naturally, I love her!!
Especially how well she carries on playing her role, even when she herself suffered an occasional but notable bout of hay fever during filming of the second series/season. The bout of hay fever was even written into her character for that series/season's duration....
Famous Five TV Fan
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Billy Farmer wrote:Image
Good gracious, as a wee nipper in the 1970s, I remember we had a kettle like that!
daanton

Post by daanton »

Yes. 8) And considering that, prior to this notable Portman/Southern stint, she made a few guest appearances as Jack Regan's daughter Susie in Thames' THE SWEENEY....! [ Wherein, almost always had her full name misspelled.... ]
Famous Five TV Fan
tiger76
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Darrell Rivers

Post by tiger76 »

Just started watching the 70's TV series today, I'm only 3 episodes in, but both Jennifer Thanisch & Michelle Gallagher have got the roles to perfection, it's incredibly tough to favour either, bur as Anne is my favourite character, I've got to give Jennifer the slight edge.

Michael Hinz is also very good as Quentin, he manages to get the balance spot on, as this is a part that could easily be overacted, but he is splendid, and it's clear that he and Michelle had a great partnership on screen, which is vital in making their intense relationship believable to the viewers.

I'd actually forgotten how moody and volatile George's character was, and her and Anne make a good contrast, one mean and moody, the other sweet and caring.

I haven't watched the 90's version yet, still waiting for it to be delivered, so I will post my opinions on that in a few weeks.
Did midnight feasts really exist?
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.

Post by Barnard »

Jennifer Thanisch was exactly how I imagined Anne to be. I thought she was very good. Did anyone see her in the horror film Dark Places, which she made a couple of years before the Famous Five?
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Yes, I can remember seeing JT in the Dark Places film, Barnard. However, I can't be sure whether this was the original release screening or a repeat some time later. Tis a while ago now! I think it was available to watch on YouTube a few years ago, but I'm not sure if this is still the case. I also saw the original screening of the Sweeney episodes that JT appeared in, too. :D
Snehalatha

Post by Snehalatha »

Honestly, theres no one to act as the Famous Five-- There is no one to create another in this world. The Famous Five are the Famous Five-- no one to even.substitute for them