Seven Stories (Winner of Lottery Awards 2013)

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Seven Stories (Winner of Lottery Awards 2013)

Post by Poppy »

Hello -- just a quick message to say that Seven stories will be on TV tonight on BBC1 at 10:30pm receiving their prize for winning the National Lottery Award. I know it is short notice and some probably won't catch it but I'm sure it will be on the iPlayer. Bit late too! Anyway, hope you all see it!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Seven Stories (Winner of Lottery Awards 2013)

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for letting us know Poppy, I'll try and remember to watch it.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

No problem. It will be well worth watching as apparently some clips will be shown live from Seven Stories itself. Maybe those who have not seen the EB exhibition will see a sneak preview!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Poppy - I'll make a point of watching - "The national Lottery Stars" - I wouldn't have chosen to watch it, but will now. I just hope Seven Stories isn't the last item they cover, or we'll all be up rather late!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Well that was short and sweet but very nice to catch a glimpse of parts of the place and see Noddy's car make a very brief appearance. I wish I lived nearer!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I missed Noddy's car. Presumably it was at the start of the item, as I wasn't in the room, and only knew it was on when my husband called me. I told my mother it was on, and she was going to try and find a piece of tape to record the programme, as we weren't sure what time it would be shown, and didn't want to wait up until nearly 11.30 to watch the whole thing. Hopefully she manage to record it all.

I didn't notice any Enid Blyton bits from what I saw, apart from possibly a figure of Noddy standing in the background on a shelf? From what I did see, I don't know if I'm that bothered about visiting the whole place, as I'm really only interested in the Enid Blyton exhibition. So maybe I'll be happy to wait until it tours and hope it comes somewhere a little closer.

I suspect the whole place is probably best enjoyed with small children in tow. At least that was the impression I got from the bit I saw. I think it's great that all their hard work and effort has been recognised and rewarded.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Poppy. I missed the programme last night but have just caught up with it (or the relevant bit of it) on BBC iPlayer. It's available till September 18th and the part about Seven Stories is from about 6.13 - 9.39:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... tars_2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony and I saw quite a lot of Kate Edwards when we visited the Enid Blyton Exhibition at the start of May, so it was lovely to see her giving a short speech at the Lottery Awards.

Interesting that John Barrowman's favourite childhood book was Ginger's Adventures by A. J. MacGregor. It's a Ladybird book from Series 401 and tells the story (in verse) of a dog called Ginger. I loved that series as a youngster, though my favourite titles were The Bunney-Fluffs' Moving Day (my children loved that one too) and Piggly Plays Truant. Gorgeous illustrations and memorable rhymes which are a pleasure to chant or listen to.

There are things for all ages at Seven Stories, Katharine - lots of activities for children but plenty to interest adults as well. I enjoyed the Cressida Cowell Exhibition even though I hadn't read any of her books, and I believe Seven Stories often hold sessions where people can examine manuscripts and artwork from the archives.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Interesting that John Barrowman's favourite childhood book was Ginger's Adventures by A. J. MacGregor. It's a Ladybird book from Series 401 and tells the story (in verse) of a dog called Ginger. I loved that series as a youngster, though my favourite titles were The Bunney-Fluffs' Moving Day (my children loved that one too) and Piggly Plays Truant. Gorgeous illustrations and memorable rhymes which are a pleasure to chant or listen to.
Ginger's Adventures was one of my favourite books too and even thinking about it now sends a pleasurable shiver down my spine. It's a lovely touching little tale, all in rhyme some of which I was able to chant from memory but now, I'm sorry to say, no longer can bring much to mind. The book survived the attentions of my children and just about fell to pieces by the time grandchildren came along. I'm not sure if a grand sort out might still unearth it - here's hoping!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the info Anita, my mother did manage to record the programme, but I might try and watch it on I-player instead.

If I was planning a visit to the general Newcastle area, then I would definitely put a visit on my list, but I'm not sure I'd want to travel all that way for a special trip, not if I might be able to see the EB exhibition closer to home. The other displays might be interesting, but it's a long way for me to go on the off chance I might see something else I liked. The manuscript sessions sound a great opportunity.

Interesting to hear about John Barrowman's favourite book. I had a few Ladybird books as a child, but didn't get any of the ones Anita mentions until I started collecting them as an adult. My favourites from childhood were Five Little Kittens and Bobby Bushtail.

My sister had Mervyn Mouse which was a newer publication, I loved that so much that I knew it off by heart at one point, and she managed to track me down a copy of my own a couple of years ago.
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks, Poppy. I missed the programme last night but have just caught up with it (or the relevant bit of it) on BBC iPlayer. It's available till September 18th and the part about Seven Stories is from about 6.13 - 9.39:

Sad, I can not see this page from Germany. :-(
Colette

Post by Colette »

Katharine wrote:If I was planning a visit to the general Newcastle area, then I would definitely put a visit on my list, but I'm not sure I'd want to travel all that way for a special trip, not if I might be able to see the EB exhibition closer to home. The other displays might be interesting, but it's a long way for me to go on the off chance I might see something else I liked.
The Cressida Cowell exhibition is finished now, there is a Judith Kerr exhibition opening nearer the end of the month
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Can you not even get the program through a link, Soenke? This link should take you straight to the program on the BBC iPlayer. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... 8ubhjLo6Mg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw it on the iPlayer this morning and as others have said, short and sweet! Nice little clip though, and I hope it will encourage people to pay a visit.
Also I was talking to Kate quite a bit at the exhibition launch, too, and she seemed a lovely person and had some great ideas and a brilliant enthusiasm for later exhibitions, etc.
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

The BBC iPlayer only works in the UK, Soenke is in Germany.

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Oh... I knew Soenke is in Germany, but I didn't know the BBC iPlayer only works in the UK... Thanks Ming!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I saw it was on last night, but thought it was too late to post anything, so thanks, Poppy! Sadly the only sight of anything to do with Enid Blyton was a brief glimpse of the Noddy car. I am not sure that she took them by surprise with her visit, it looked to me as if they were all prepared and waiting in the attic!! :lol: