Who was the first George (performer)?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Soenke Rahn

Who was the first George (performer)?

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Hi, a little question came to my mind. Who was the first George performer? I know there exists the 1957 film production of Five on a Treasure Island, with Ral Grainer, but there was also the stage play: Famous Five - Adventure: http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ?f=4&t=208 was in it the first George, or was somebody before or not and so who was it, name, maybe photo etc. and maybe the name etc of the other roles (Julian, Dick and Anne). Would be nice and interesting if somebody would know this fact. :-)
Tony Summerfield

Re: Who was the first George (performer)?

Post by Tony Summerfield »

1955-56 Princes Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue (Friday, December 23rd)

Julian . . . . . . . .Gordon Gardner
Dick . . . . . . . . .Michael Maguire
Anne . . . . . . . .Janice Edgard
Georgina . . . . . Pat Garwood
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Ah, thank you very much. Great!!!!! I have read that Anne was changed in the 1956 season one year later - to read in Society Journal 12, page 16 Do you know also the name of this actress? And by the way, is it known what a sort of dog Timmy was? :-) And googeled: It - is Pat Garwood = Patricia Garwood ? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Garwood ); would be 72. There exists also an entry to a Gordon Gardner: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0306939/

But this seems to be clear the entry to the Dick performer: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1412158/bio :-) :-) Tony, could be this an interesting source, to follow it. ;-)
Domino

Post by Domino »

Same question - Would that be the same Patricia Garwood who played opposite William Gaunt in the 1983-7 BBC sitcom No Place Like Home?

Domino
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

This is the best that I can do, a cutting from a newspaper sent to me by Grazina Frame (wrongly spelt Grazyna in the programme). She was a speaker at our Enid Blyton Day in 1997. Grazina played Anne in the second year, but the rest of the cast was the same as the first year.

She sent me further newspaper reviews (no more pics) if anyone is interested.

I can't provide an answer over Pat/Patricia Garwood, but if she is now aged 72 that would be about right as the children were about 15 in the stage version.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

According to IMDB Patricia Garwood was born in Janary 1941 making her 72.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I thought I had said that! :roll:
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You said 'if she is 72 now' which sounded like that wasn't a definite fact.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Tony Summerfield wrote:This is the best that I can do, a cutting from a newspaper sent to me by Grazina Frame (wrongly spelt Grazyna in the programme). She was a speaker at our Enid Blyton Day in 1997. Grazina played Anne in the second year, but the rest of the cast was the same as the first year.

[...]

She sent me further newspaper reviews (no more pics) if anyone is interested.

I can't provide an answer over Pat/Patricia Garwood, but if she is now aged 72 that would be about right as the children were about 15 in the stage version.
Wow -- Yay! Thank you very much. It's fantastic to see now the picture. In the last year I have made a complete translation of the play into German as a private finger exercise, so I read it very intensive, enjoyed it step by step. :-) (http://108500.forumromanum.com/member/f ... onsearch=1)
So I am very happy to see the picture now.

I am very interested in the newspapers reviews of it. :-)
Domino

Post by Domino »

I think there is no doubt that it is the same Patricia Garwood. That is exactly how she looked when smiling in No Place Like Home (I have the first series on DVD - it also had Martin Clunes in an early role, although he only played it in the first three series).
Thanks, Tony, as always, for your detective work.

Domino

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I would like to see the reviews if possible, Tony. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Grazina Frame dubbed the singing voice for Lauri Peters in the Cliff Richard film Summer Holiday (and had also over-dubbed some voices for the earlier The Young Ones).

Domino

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A great photo and it would be interesting to see more newspaper reviews! Thanks, Tony.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I was very interested to learn that Grazina Frame had played Anne, Tony and that she had been a speaker at the 1997 Enid Blyton Day.

I remember Grazina appearing in number of films in the fifties and sixties, and in particular The 6.5 Special (1958), What a Crazy World (1963) and Every Day's a Holiday (1965). As Domino has already said, she dubbed the singing voice for Lauri Peters in the Cliff Richard film Summer Holiday (and had also over-dubbed some voices for the earlier The Young Ones).
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I met Robert Dallas several times during the tour of the Famous Five Musical in the 90s. He had composed all the music for the production and had already agreed to come and speak at the EB Day. We were chatting about this one day and he said that perhaps he should bring his partner along to the EB Day as well, as she had been in the 50s stage production - his partner was Grazina Frame! After the EB Day I received this letter from them (I have removed the address and phone number!).

Two more reviews of the production, sorry about the first one being cut off at the bottom, but that was all I got on the photocopy!
Image Image