Noddy TV Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Noddy TV Series

Post by honesty »

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know when the TV Series of Noddy was???
Also did 'Noddy'do any educational programs that would be good for my 3 year-old nephew (for his birthday)?

Thanks-

honesty
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Noddy TV Series

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

There have been several Noddy TV series, though I'm not very familiar with any of them:

1955 - The Adventures of Noddy (black and white)
1975 - Noddy
1992 - Noddy's Toyland Adventures
1998 - Noddy (the American "Noddy Shop" series)
2001 - Make Way for Noddy (a spin-off of the 1998 series, apparently)
2009 - Noddy in Toyland
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
honesty

Re: Please Help - Noddy TV Series?

Post by honesty »

Thanks Anita!!!
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

While looking up information on Noddy for my Journal article, I was reminded of this Noddy Vymura wallpaper advert from the 1970s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA6VGT8Xe8M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It sounds to me as though it's voiced by Richard Briers, who also did the voices and narration for the 1975 Noddy puppet TV series.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

I'm not at all sure that it is the real Richard Briers. Don't forget that people like Jon Culshaw were often asked to do voice-overs sounding like some celebrity or other. It's too early to be him. Who was around at the time? Peter Goodwright? Roger Kitter? but it could be someone who never became well-known in his own right. I could be wrong, but somehow the timbre of the voice doesn't sound quite right for Richard Briers to me.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Definitely Richard Briers. I'd stake my personal fortune on it!
Society Member
honesty

Post by honesty »

Thanks Anita. Good video-clip by the way!!!
honesty

Post by honesty »

It was, definitely Richard Briers from 1975. Except I wouldn't stake my personal fortune on it though!!!
Last edited by honesty on 24 Apr 2013, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Sorry Dave. Definately Briers for me. After all, there's only one Richard Briers. :lol:
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Well, there's only one Tom Baker - but he's definitely been impersonated for ad voice-overs.

However, having looked Richard Briers up on uktvadverts.com, the Vymura one is not listed, but having
listened to the Midland Bank ad he did in the 1970's, he does sound exactly the same, so I think it must be him.

Dave

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm not disputing that it was Richard Briers, but I have to agree that it didn't sound quite like him to me. Some words were spot on, but at other times I thought his voice lacked the richness it usually does. I have to say, I was a little disappointed with the advert, I thought it was going to be for some Noddy wallpaper. I was all ready to start scouring E-Bay to find vintage rolls of wall coverings. :cry:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think if it were someone impersonating Dickie Briers, his solicitors would have had something to say. :o
Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Nigel, I think you have entirely the wrong idea here. Firstly,I deliberately avoided using the word impersonator here. Secondly, he would have had to show that the job should have been offered to him and, if it had. he would have been free to take it. Thirdly, he would have had to show he had suffered an actual loss and if was of sufficient size to make any action worthwhile. I wonder how much he would have been paid in the 1970's. Fourthly, the Judges never awarded anything like what the Claimants thought they should.
You would probably be astounded at the number of times solicitors have had to advise their clients not to pursue a certain cause of action because it wasn't in their interest, even though the Solicitors were talking themselves out of potential fees.
There have been a lot of ads which sound rather like some celebrity or other when, in fact, it hasn't been. There are also a lot of celebrities who do voice-overs.
For the record, let me re-iterate that I do now accept that it was him. [So it seems your £15 is quite safe after all, Nigel :D] I think he consciously toned down his voice for the parts he played in sitcoms. The voices he used for George Starling, Tom Good and Martin Bryce were pretty much identical.

Dave

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Domino wrote:Well, there's only one Tom Baker - but he's definitely been impersonated for ad voice-overs
Firstly,I deliberately avoided using the word impersonator here.
By implication, methinks! :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

At the risk of starting another heated debate :lol: , I was wondering about 'The Further Adventures of Noddy - the Great Car Race', which can be seen on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVXTmphw7c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YouTube user ChrisPrime1bot suggests that the narrator might be Bernard Cribbins, and I have to agree it does sound rather like him.

I have 'The Further Adventures of Noddy - the Great Car Race' on an NSPCC video compilation of 'Children's TV Favourites' and there are no credits at the start or end of the clip - it's exactly as it appears on YouTube. On the back of the video sleeve it says "Copyright 1987 Darrell Waters/Mc Donald".

I was wondering whether anyone knows anything more about this episode. Was it part of a series, or a one-off? It doesn't belong to any of the series I listed above.

Later edit:

https://archive.org/details/the-further ... t-car-race

The link says:
The Further Adventures of Noddy - The Great Car Race
by Filmfair and Martin Cheek

Publication date 1983

Usage Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 InternationalCreative Commons Licensebynd

Topics noddy, enid blyton, the further adventures of noddy, filmfair, children's shows, british cartoons, stop-motion animation, toys, toyland, toytown

Language English

In 1983, The Further Adventures of Noddy would have been the third TV series to feature Enid Blyton's famous character, Noddy.

The one episode produced, "The Great Car Race", was made by the help of Filmfair and Martin Cheek who made the sets for this pilot, with narration by Patrick Troughman, but the newspapers never put money into it.

It was only shown on the 1987 VHS release of "NSPCC - Children's T.V. Favourites", from Tempo Video Children's Stories.
Patrick Troughman is named as the narrator, though it's possible that more than one person did the storytelling (unless it's one person putting on different voices).

Society Member