Who are the speakers of the English Famous 5 audio dramas?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Soenke Rahn

Who are the speakers of the English Famous 5 audio dramas?

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Hi, have a question - who are the speakers of the English Famous 5 Audio dramas. In the credits of the cassettes is to read, that Mike Carrington is the producer, but there are not the speakers to find. In the Enid Blyton Society Journal 15 - a text of Philip Evans about the cassettes and it's prodouction, helps not in this question. -- Suppose it would interesting to know the names. friendly greetings, Soenke Rahn
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Re: Who are the speakers of the English Famous 5 audio dramas?

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hi Soenke
The people that talk on the audio books are called "Narrators' here is a link that was a topic before in the forum about the tapes... maybe you can find out a bit more from this topic....

Audio Tapes of the Books

[urlhttp://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/forums/view ... f=17&t=437][/url]

also there was two on this link narrated by Enid Blyton a reproduction and also Jan Francis

http://www.simplyaudiobooks.com/process ... enOutcome=

Cheers and Gingerbeers

Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Thanks, but the narrator is in Germany a person which reads an entire book or described what the speakers in the roles are doing. But Jan Francis could be really the narrator (or he could made the script, because Enid is also not the narrator) of the audio dramas (dramatised audios). The speakers/voices of the roles of the kids (George/Julian/Dick/Anne etc.) are different voices. Thanks for the first informatio to it. Greetings a lot of Gingerbeers :-)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

If you look at the Audio Section in the Cave, you'll see scans of cassette covers etc. Some of the covers, including the Hodder Famous Five cassettes, list the names of the actors who voiced the characters:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/audi ... dderfivetv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The covers may be slightly hard to read but Tony has reproduced the information under "Notes" (click on a cassette and scroll down to the bottom of the page).

It's funny that Scarlett Strallen was sometimes George and sometimes Anne!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

It's also funny that Oliver and Ute Rohrbeck, who dubbed Julian and Anne of the 70s series and the following audioplays, in previous audioplays (a different record company) played the part of Edgar Stick/Jennifer Mary Armstrong and Sooty/Marybelle Lenoir.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Sorry to go of topic but: are the audio books good? I might download them possibly.....!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've managed to collect a few audio recordings from various series - Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure, St. Clare's, Malory Towers, Mr. Twiddle, Purnell Sunshine Library stories, etc. All the adaptations I've listened to have been surprisingly faithful to the original storyline and I've enjoyed them. Just last week I listened to the Hodder Five Go Off in a Caravan. According to the casette cover, Scarlett Strallen voiced George. It doesn't say who voiced Nobby but to me it sounded like Susan Sheridan, who was the voice of Noddy in an early 1990s Noddy TV series (heh - from Noddy to Nobby! :) ) She was a speaker at the 2010 Enid Blyton Day.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Soenke Rahn wrote:Thanks, but the narrator is in Germany a person which reads an entire book
Yes, same here too, Soenke. You've got me thinking, I think we just refer to the actors who read/act the parts simply as actors or the cast.
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Yes, I know. In Germany we have seldom such narrated versions. :-)
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:If you look at the Audio Section in the Cave, you'll see scans of cassette covers etc. Some of the covers, including the Hodder Famous Five cassettes, list the names of the actors who voiced the characters:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/audi ... dderfivetv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The covers may be slightly hard to read but Tony has reproduced the information under "Notes" (click on a cassette and scroll down to the bottom of the page).

It's funny that Scarlett Strallen was sometimes George and sometimes Anne!
Thank You very much!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Soenke Rahn wrote:Yes, I know. In Germany we have seldom such narrated versions. :-)
But they have become more popular recently. I suppose the Harry Potter books are a big success, they narrated at least three of the Blyton's mystery books, and the new Famous Five books by Bosse are also sold as narrated audiobooks.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Yes, clear. In England there exists three forms, I would say: 1. a reading 2. a dramatised reading 3. dramatisations --- The second is a reading but the reader goes in to the roles e.g. Ian Richardson in his Treasure Island reading etc. --- I supposed he means this. Such mixture is not really exists in Germany. :-)
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I have a Malory Towers Audio CD, which I enjoy listening to immensely. It really brings Malory Towers to life, hearing the girls chatter, Gwendoline's sulky voice, hearing the footsteps of the girls and the hooves of the horses. There must have been several girls/women involved in this, but again, no credits are mentioned. I will have a look to see if these are in the cave...
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Poppy wrote:I have a Malory Towers Audio CD, which I enjoy listening to immensely. It really brings Malory Towers to life, hearing the girls chatter, Gwendoline's sulky voice, hearing the footsteps of the girls and the hooves of the horses.
That sounds nice. :-)

Now I have the problem with the later producued tapes:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +325801%29
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/audi ... rfiveshort
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Collection

Somebody an idea who are the voices? Owns somebody a good ear? :-) It would be nice ... :-)
jhonjame

Post by jhonjame »

Soenke Rahn wrote:Yes, clear. In England there exists three forms, I would say: 1. a reading 2. a dramatised reading 3. dramatisations --- The second is a reading but the reader goes in to the roles e.g. Ian Richardson in his Treasure Island reading etc. --- I supposed he means this. Such mixture is not really exists in Germany. :-)
Yes, I know. In Germany we have seldom such narrated versions.